Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Camera not locking into gimbal!

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Jimmykjimmy, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Jimmykjimmy

Problem today getting the camera locked into the gimbal. I've probably put it on 20 times but this time I had an issue. Lined the white lines up but could only turn the camera about half way, could not line up white lock line.
    I checked for any bent pieces, debris in the gimbal. Nothing.
    Called DJI for assistance, they must've thought I was a newbie. They couldn't provide any over the phone help.The gimbal will not lock in place and I don't want to force it.

Any ideas before I send it back to DJI..Thanks

2. Blue Bird

I have had this issue as well at one point. The three sliding lock tabs start to loose the black paint finish then friction accures between the gimbal socket lock ring and the gimbal itself. I took a que tip and dabbed the tabs with a very small amount of vasiline. It worked great. Just be sure you use very little so that you do not get any on the main contact pins. Be sure that none of the pins are bent. Also it is known that the rubber foam gasket will start peeling off and can cause the gimbal not to seat correctly. Good luck.

#2 Blue Bird, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  3. Jimmykjimmy

Thanks, I did try that and the gimbal still refused to turn. The gasket is in place although it doesn't fit quite flush, that could be preventing it from locking not sure.

4. lake_flyer

DJI is in the market for newbies, almost everything they do is aimed at the public that doesn't own a drone yet, which is almost 100% of the world population.

The Editor likes this.
  5. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

And people who refuse to read instruction manuals.
    (That's not aimed at you Jimmy :))

6. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Check carefully that the two locating pins are still intact. They protrude out slightly either side of the contact pins on the gimbal socket on the aircraft. There have been instances of these breaking off or partially breaking and preventing gimbals locking into place.
    (Also a silicon grease would be better than Vaseline :))

7. Jimmykjimmy

Thanks, the pins do protrude. Not sure if they are broken and shortened.
    What really pisses me off, I called DJI service thinking it might be under warranty. Talked to a nice guy said he would send the RMA, they did then said they would send a fed ex label...nothing... So I try to find the service center in LA..can't find it. May pay to play with drones etc