Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Camera settings for dummies

Hi guys,

This is a brilliant topic, thanks very much for all imput you guys have added;) this now gives me a much better understanding of photo/video setting & how to get "that perfect shot"

Yep still getting my head around the app;) flying is ok but the app is a little different to what I used tooooo;)

Again, thanks you;)

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
... I've always been instructed that color correction in cinematic work is always a must...

That is true is most cases--color correction. In "most" cases you're having to balance the color from one shot to the next. In many cases, two shots that will be juxtaposed with one another may be shot hours or even days apart. On exteriors this is especially challenging.

Say you're shooting outside all day. You start rolling the camera at 8 am. You end the day at 8 pm (early summer). The color temperature of the light has undergone a dramatic change during those twelve hours. All of what you shot (that took you several hours to get) is to be used in a single scene that supposedly takes place over just a few consecutive minutes in the story. All those shots have to be color corrected so they will match have when they are cut together. Anciently, other reasons could have been film related, as stock batches never matched exactly (although you always bought your film stock in bulk from the same batch to minimize the problem). Lenses also played a part in introducing minimal color variations. Then there was the subjective perception from one timer to another and/or the director and DP. The DP far more often than not had the final say of what was "correct."

All of this current use color grading didn't really come about until the advent of digital. Back in the day, it was seldom used because the cinematographer didn't have access to each color channel the way we do today. Now days, just because they can, everything thinks they have to color grade because Ridley Scott or J.J Abrams does.

Emulating artists is fine, but learn why they do what they do. Just because you ate a dish at a restaurant that had curry in it (and you loved it), would you go home and cook everything from that time forward adding a ton of curry?

Hi guys,

This is a brilliant topic, thanks very much for all imput you guys have added;) this now gives me a much better understanding of photo/video setting & how to get "that perfect shot"

Yep still getting my head around the app;) flying is ok but the app is a little different to what I used tooooo;)

Again, thanks you;)

If your name were spelled Clampett, I'd ask if you were related to Bob. ;)

There is something with the video settings I am having a difficult time grasping here. I've seen a lot of tutorials recommending keeping the shutter speed 2x the fps. What I'm not understanding is how do you consistently keep the shutter speed at 2x the speed without compensating for exposure?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian