Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Canadian commercial operators - get in here!

Is Transport Canada doing enough to educate people on drone regulations in Canada?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
What's up guys... Since we have gotten our SFOC, we have been doing quite a bit of business in the commercial drone space, and as we go along are realizing that more and more people out there throw around words like SFOC, restricted airspace, NOTAMs, etc and they have no idea what exactly they mean or how they effect a drone operation.
So, my question is this, and this is simply to start a discussion, is Transport Canada doing enough to educate people (I mean all people, not just drone operators) on the legalities of drones in Canada?

What spurred this on was a combination of experiences I've had recently, all involving different people who claimed to have knowledge about drone legalities but actually do not. On more than one occasion I have been called out for flying within 5 NM of an airport (which is perfectly legal if I stay below my ceiling height and file a NOTAM), I have also caught some shade for operating in 'restricted' airspace that was not restricted at all, they were simply looking at the airspace map as a whole and not altitude dependant.

Does anyone else find there to be a lot of confusion among people who should know the regulations for flying in Canada? Would love to hear your experiences in the commercial space.

EDIT: Meant to put this in the commercial operators section, no idea how that got messed up. Sorry mods.

Hard for people to know the rules that are in use when TC can't even use the same rules across the different regions. Look at the differences between the PNR region (which I think is being fairly proactive and fair to us operators), which we are both in vs Quebec or Ontario mishmash.

Hard for people to know the rules that are in use when TC can't even use the same rules across the different regions. Look at the differences between the PNR region (which I think is being fairly proactive and fair to us operators), which we are both in vs Quebec or Ontario mishmash.
Interesting point, and something I'm not that familiar with. Being a federal body with standards that apply across the country, there shouldn't be differences in the actual regulations, perhaps just the enforcement and monitoring.
A document I find interesting is the list of aviation related fines handed out per month and who they were handed out to. I have seen very little UAV related infractions in the PNR and Western Canada in general, but lots in Quebec, which I find interesting.
And guess who has been the most fined organization so far in 2016 in terms of sheer dollar amounts? Nav Canada.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide