Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Canadian imprisoned after flying Drone in Cuba!

Reaction score
This guy should have stayed in solitary confinement. He was imprisoned for 13 days before being released.
It was totally his fault for not checking not only on Cuban regulation, but general flight laws such as flying over roads, people etc.
He clearly had no understanding of this and idiots like this could kill our industry for good!
Makes one wonder how many other people like him are flying drones without the basic knowledge of flying laws and country regulations.

Tourist Spends 13 Days in a Cuban Prison for Flying His Drone in Havana

Reactions: james tulloch
The majority of people have no idea there are regulations and rules even for hobbyists. Until there is a mainstream public awareness campaign on safety and ethics this will be pretty common. Most of the people I approach with a drone service are unaware of rules existing and potential safety hazards.

This guy learned the hard way, just not about the safety hazards unfortunately

There will be a drone in every household by Christmas this year, with all the new releases. No matter your nationality, there will always be people that are clueless and irresponsable and they are no where near professionals. As for the future of our sport, well I think it will disappear very soon if this keeps going on.

The majority of people have no idea there are regulations and rules even for hobbyists. Until there is a mainstream public awareness campaign on safety and ethics this will be pretty common. Most of the people I approach with a drone service are unaware of rules existing and potential safety hazards.

This guy learned the hard way, just not about the safety hazards unfortunately

OK, so who wants to send Casey Neistat a plane ticket to Cuba?

Brian

Instead of chipping in to send him a plane ticket back to Cuba, I would contend such monies would be better spent getting him a nose job. With that enormous beak, it's little wonder he lost sight of, and lost, his Mavic.

Every person operating a drone needs to pass the 107 if you ask me. "Hobbyists" are going to destroy this industry for those of us who make money off of it. And at the end of the day, why would a hobbyist be against it, you just have to study and become aware of important rules, all it can do is educate people. If your caught flying without a 107 then your drone is confiscated, i bet people would be all over the 107 if that happened.

Overseas, we're sometimes referred to as "Ugly Americans." When I lived in Germany I was often embarrassed by tourists from the U-S barging loudly around (think Donald Trump behavior) actually complaining that the locals "don't speak English." The guy imprisoned in Cuba ought to have his passport revoked.

This guy should have stayed in solitary confinement. He was imprisoned for 13 days before being released.
It was totally his fault for not checking not only on Cuban regulation, but general flight laws such as flying over roads, people etc.
He clearly had no understanding of this and idiots like this could kill our industry for good!
Makes one wonder how many other people like him are flying drones without the basic knowledge of flying laws and country regulations.

Tourist Spends 13 Days in a Cuban Prison for Flying His Drone in Havana
We´ll have swedes going to prison here to soon, as the high court ruled camera equipped drones illegal yesterday...

Every person operating a drone needs to pass the 107 if you ask me. "Hobbyists" are going to destroy this industry for those of us who make money off of it. And at the end of the day, why would a hobbyist be against it, you just have to study and become aware of important rules, all it can do is educate people. If your caught flying without a 107 then your drone is confiscated, i bet people would be all over the 107 if that happened.
In Canada there is no such thing as a 107. We do have a suggested ground school course and UAV training centers, which helps when applying for an SFOC (permission to fly commercially). But hobbyists have the same problem here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell