Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Canadian Pilots working on Compliant Operator SFOC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm interested in pursing my Complaint SFOC as per TC recommendation. What I am wondering when they refer to maintenance and training manuals. Do these need to be made by the operator or is the Manaul of the Inspire enough to satisfy their requirements? Should I be taking the Inspire manual and writing it out into my own document/s?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm#apply

SFOC no longer needed.
Regarding the new minimum requirements, i am insured and have all 'manuals' within the DJI app, so figure I should be good to go

I am more interested in pursuing commercial use and I am trying to figure out if the DJI manuals will suffice for that part of the application. I understand you just need to be insured and have the manuals/respect the TC requirements as a hobbyist.

Check again, no more SFOC required for commercial use, unless your drone is over 25 kg, which I'm assuming it's not because this is the inspire forums

Hmm it's interesting that they left all the information about applying for the SFOC. I guess I will call then and ask in what specific situations I will need them as I believe I at times I will need to operate in areas that may classify as "built up"

Thanks

you are wrong SFOC for commercial is still needed .
Well it seems like if your flying outside of a built up area that you don't need an SFOC but by TCs definition anything more than farm fields is built up. It doesn't explain well regarding where you can operate without one. If I'm doing real estate and the only building in a 9km radius is the one I'm shooting is that ok without an SFOC, it doesn't seem so and it's also very unlikely that there would be only 1 structure in a 9km area.

Well it seems like if your flying outside of a built up area that you don't need an SFOC but by TCs definition anything more than farm fields is built up. It doesn't explain well regarding where you can operate without one. If I'm doing real estate and the only building in a 9km radius is the one I'm shooting is that ok without an SFOC, it doesn't seem so and it's also very unlikely that there would be only 1 structure in a 9km area.

Outside build up area you don't need SFOC ,but you have to meet exemption requirements ( the best way to get that would be pilot theory test).

I suppose it depends on the definition of a 'built-up' area... Could mean any number of things

Anything involving commercial flights requires an approved SFOC, regardless of where you're flying.
The part that is pissing me off is that I filed on in February with Transport Canada and received a response that I should have it completed by no later than March 20th. On the 24th I received another email stating that they have a new policy for teh Prairie and Northern Region and that my place in the queue is another 1.5 months!!!! away from processing.
How...please explain to me...are we supposed to build up a commercial industry if it takes 3 bloody months for them to do anything useful just for one damned flight???

If you are doing any commercial work you STILL have to report it to transport Canada even if you fall under the exemption. ALSO, you are required to fill out the Submission form - exemption for UAVs 2.1 to 25 kg. You need to check whether it s a class A.B.C.D.E.F or G airspace. Each class has it's own requirements. The only place you will be safe is Class G.. it is the uncontrolled airspace. NAVCanada is a great resource for that.

If you are flying just for the sake of flying, you then fall under the Model Airplane rules.

I am insured

@gruvpix Who is your insurance company? How much liability coverage do you have? I contacted a commercial insurance broker today regarding a quote & I'm waiting to hear back.

If you are doing any commercial work you STILL have to report it to transport Canada even if you fall under the exemption. ALSO, you are required to fill out the Submission form - exemption for UAVs 2.1 to 25 kg. You need to check whether it is a class A.B.C.D.E.F or G airspace. Each class has it's own requirements. The only place you will be safe is Class G. It is the uncontrolled airspace. NAVCanada is a great resource for that.

Excellent information thank you. What other information should be included in the SFOC application? As per the TC website, a SFOC application requires information regarding conditions specific to the proposed use (ie. maximum altitudes, minimum distances from people and property), operating areas (info from NAVCanada?), and coordination requirements with air traffic services.

In addition, does anyone know where you can take a UAV course that covers:
  • airspace classification and structure

• weather and notice to airmen (NOTAM) reporting services

• aeronautical charts and the Canada Flight Supplement
I'd love to take a pilot theory test but, I want to get educated first.

If such a course doesn't exist ... It could prove to be a lucrative venture to create one. =)

Genesisknight what province are you in?
i am in sask......
lrh111 - I'm in southern Alberta. We both fall in the PNR (Prairie and Northern Region) jurisdiction of Transport Canada.
I've received the attached from Transport Canada as guides for completing and SFOC with the best chance of flowing through the system without any delays. Hopefully this helps out any other Canadians wishing to use their whirlybirds for safe and profitable ventures...and maybe help out our fellows to the south as well once the FAA stops getting in its own way...

Sunscreen:
I'm insured through: Metrix Insurance Brokers
1500-1166 Alberni Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6E 3Z3
Toll Free: 800-690-7475 ext. 675
Fax: 888-294-9647

I had a bit of a tough time finding someone as well, but Jessica was excellent to deal with. Quick and responsive. I'm probably getting hosed...but the industry is still so new...

Also: Check out http://www.ccuvs.com/. They are a dedicated UAV school in Medicine Hat. I was going to attend in January, but unfortunately the instructer had a family emergency and they had to rebook. I decided to take a mini-vacation and flew out to Victoria instead and did a slightly longer course put on by David Carlos of Victoria Air Photos. http://www.victoriaairphotos.com/
I know that there is at least one school in Dorval, Quebec...but I wasn't about to go out there for it...lol.

I am now fully certified, insured, and have my ROC-A. All I need is to have the time to start sourcing work with a customer that doens't mind waiting over a month to get the work done.

Safe Flying!!

Attachments

• NEW STAFF INSTRUCTION (SI 623-001) for attachment to guidance.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • RDIMS-_10496421-v1-RESTRICTED_OPERATOR_COMPLEX_APPLICATION_GUIDANCE_FORM.pdf
    404.5 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: DennisCox
lrh111 - I'm in southern Alberta. We both fall in the PNR (Prairie and Northern Region) jurisdiction of Transport Canada.
I've received the attached from Transport Canada as guides for completing and SFOC with the best chance of flowing through the system without any delays. Hopefully this helps out any other Canadians wishing to use their whirlybirds for safe and profitable ventures...and maybe help out our fellows to the south as well once the FAA stops getting in its own way...

Sunscreen:
1500-1166 Alberni Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6E 3Z3

I had a bit of a tough time finding someone as well, but Jessica was excellent to deal with. Quick and responsive. I'm probably getting hosed...but the industry is still so new...

Also: Check out http://www.ccuvs.com/. They are a dedicated UAV school in Medicine Hat. I was going to attend in January, but unfortunately the instructer had a family emergency and they had to rebook. I decided to take a mini-vacation and flew out to Victoria instead and did a slightly longer course put on by David Carlos of Victoria Air Photos. http://www.victoriaairphotos.com/
I know that there is at least one school in Dorval, Quebec...but I wasn't about to go out there for it...lol.

I am now fully certified, insured, and have my ROC-A. All I need is to have the time to start sourcing work with a customer that doens't mind waiting over a month to get the work done.

Safe Flying!!

Great advise! I also plan to go to Medicine Hat. I am in Edmonton, so I don't know of anyone closer. I did an online Ground School Class. I wouldn't say it is on the same level as CCUVS but it did give me aq firm understanding of the do's and do not's. Also I was in the Military (Navy) for 8 years and that helped as well.

Reactions: GenesisKnight
Great advise! I also plan to go to Medicine Hat. I am in Edmonton, .
I'm in Calgary...you want to come down and have some fun...just let me know!
Also...If/When you do that course, let me know how it is. Theirs is only a day and a half or something like that, whereas the one I did in Victoria was 2 days and a half day of flying skills.

Reactions: DennisCox
I'm in Calgary here. thought about the ccuvs course but its not at a time where i am available. anyone do the pilottraingin.ca online course? its TC approved so should be good to go with it?

I'm in Calgary here. thought about the ccuvs course but its not at a time where i am available. anyone do the pilottraingin.ca online course? its TC approved so should be good to go with it?

you mean here :) http://pilottraining.ca/store/catalog.php?item=40 It looks good. I already did a online version but not like this and it seems more indepth and what Transport Canada wants in training. Think I will sign up for this next month. I'd do it sooner, but I had a DJI Inspire to pay for :)

Reactions: GenesisKnight

Sunscreen:
1500-1166 Alberni Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6E 3Z3

Safe Flying!!

I am in Edmonton and own a small Engineering firm. We have purchased an Inspire 1 (waiting for it to arrive) to use for doing Construction Documentation (photos and videos), Inspections of buildings, as well we are looking of the potential to use it for 3D mapping and producing Digital Terrain Models (DTM) and Digital Elevation Models (DEM) for use in our work. Have you filled out a SFOC application yet? I am going to CCUVS for the May 20 course. The SFOC guidance doc you got from Prairie and Northern looks a little daunting. Just wondering how you filled out some of the sections. As I understand it, as you get more and more applications approved, TC may allow you to have a blanket 1 year SFOC where you only have to provide notification of the work you are doing. I have about 5 applications I need to send in as soon as I have everything set up. I had set up a template based upon one I found on flitelab.com (attached below). Not sure if this is outdated or if it would fulfill the requirements now.

If anyone has any experience getting a SFOC recently, would be interested in hearing their experience and if we are on the right track.

Attachments

• sfoc-application-sample2.pdf
    908.1 KB · Views: 80
@RPM Aerial
You'll have to fill out according to their form. It is all they are accepting now. You can get a blanket SFOC as mentioned, but it's after you've established a relationship with them. A friend of mine flies for forestry in BC and they got their application approved after 10 flights. Seems that BC works a lot faster than what we can get.
The form is duanting, but the best part is that once you have it completely filled out, you only have to change a few things regarding the actual mission requirements for any subsequent flights. Most of the form is about the aircraft itself...properties and characteristics. You do need to ensure that you have your safety plan, emergency plan, checklists, etc...in place prior as well and have them provided.

If you're not really looking for high performance flight however...I would suggest ordering the Phantom 3...as much as I hate to say it...lol.
This aircraft is light enough so that it fall into the Exceptions provided by Transport Canada. You just have to maintain at least $100,000 liability insurance.

Attachments

• TC Unmanned Exemption Requirements.pdf
    530.7 KB · Views: 41

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop