Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Canadian Pilots working on Compliant Operator SFOC

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm#apply

SFOC no longer needed.
Regarding the new minimum requirements, i am insured and have all 'manuals' within the DJI app, so figure I should be good to go
It is still needed in fact insurance is still needed as well. IF you are anywhere near 10 KM from a city or built up area you need an SFOC. The exemptions would only apply to those in sparsely settled areas. The regs are clear if you read them. A UAV is considered an "Aircraft" So therefore if you operate one in a dangerous way which endangers aircraft or people, you could go to jail for life under the criminal code of Canada. This is serious stuff.

All RC pilots both recreational and commercial need to exercise common sense and understand where airports and heliports are in relation to the flight area they are in while making judgments if it is safe. We all have seen low flying jets, helicopters and light aircraft. You fly a multi rotor up in airspace,it is and can be a collision hazard. We must keep this business safe. Get trained and learn how to be a real UAV pilot, not an amateur who is a threat to the public with a flying machine bought online which could injure or even kill people.... thus it could kill the whole industry. I just thought of a worst case scenario that if one struck a aircraft at high speed, it not only could damage the structure, engine or windshield of an aircraft, but it could cause a post crash fire as the lipo batt explodes inside the aircraft. The fuel tanks are located in the wings of aircraft which would be a likely impact point. Recreational and commercial UAV operators need to contact ATC and advise the manager of the activity (even if it is below 400').

Last edited:
The thing is, there is a huge spectrum of people that fit somewhere on the scale of extremely risk averse to extremely risky. Unfortunately this technology is readily available to all of them, meaning many will give the industry a bad name. My issue with the SFOC is as follows: people operating drones for commercial purposes (in general) will be much more prepared, practice more, and have more in-depth knowledge into the aircraft they are flying, because their profits depend on it. This can be up for debate, but I would argue that common sense is a lot more common in these people that are looking for commercial gain through drone photography and videography.
Now, for every commercial operation out there, I would wager there are at minimum 5 'hobby' operators who require no certification, no insurance, and essentially nothing is stopping them from flying their drone straight into a massive crowd of people, at which point they will claim ignorance of failsafe methods and the potential danger the unit can cause. So, how do we handle this? Issue a blanket ban on all UAS?
I am not against a certification procedure, but I liken the SFOC to a boat operators license. In Canada you can roll up to your local Canadian Tire, take a common sense test and be granted a boat license. At that point you can take your buds out on your new wakesetter, drink a few beers and run over an unsuspecting swimmer... Whose fault is that, the operator or the certification process?
I am all for the safety of these devices and the continued learning associated with such a new technology, thus why I belong to this forum. That said, the SFOC procedure is not making drone flying any safer, it is adding an extra step and inconvenience to the segment of the drone flying population that is likely already well-aware of all safety concerns associated with their drones, and if they're not, they won't last too long in the business.
It comes down to an argument between those who have a blanket trust that the law is right and is there for our own protection, and those who believe that there are some regulations that do nothing to actually increase safety, they are just there to ensure the governments hands are clean when s*** hits the fan.
Those worst-case scenarios are extremely dire and believe me I do appreciate the consequences of such actions, but I'm sorry to say that an SFOC isn't going to decrease the likelihood of that happening.
That's my two cents. In the meantime I will continue to fly in a safe manner, away from 'built-up areas' and large crowds, and rely on my $2 mil liability insurance if any issues should arise.
SFOC will make it safer. It shows that you know what your doing, know how to communicate with ATC even on a VHF radio, how to read a aviation chart. It makes sense for commercial UAV pilots to have it because they are more likely to fly in more populated areas and fly more often. My students are taught all about safety first. They are given examples of accidents which have happened and we learn to prevent them. My local ATC unit said that pilots of the DASH 8 commuter aircraft have observed phantoms at 2000 feet while they were en route.... we both shook our heads! Did you know the guy that flew the DJI Phantom on the white house lawn by accident is facing huge fines and may go to jail for a year in an American prison? I can assure anyone that if they get into an accident or incident which is deemed serious, and you are not SFOC certified, and or its was deemed you were unsafe, the cuffs will go on you. You think you live in a free country with rights until you have an encounter with the federal government. The power they have is unfathomable. And TC is federal and they rule these things.

Last edited:
I
SFOC will make it safer. It shows that you know what your doing, know how to communicate with ATC even on a VHF radio, how to read a aviation chart. It makes sense for commercial UAV pilots to have it because they are more likely to fly in more populated areas and fly more often. My students are taught all about safety first. They are given examples of accidents which have happened and we learn to prevent them. My local ATC unit said that pilots of the DASH 8 commuter aircraft have observed phantoms at 2000 feet while they were en route.... we both shook our heads! Did you know the guy that flew the DJI Phantom on the white house lawn by accident is facing huge fines and may go to jail for a year in an American prison? I can assure anyone that if they get into an accident or incident which is deemed serious, and you are not SFOC certified, and or its was deemed you were unsafe, the cuffs will go on you. You think you live in a free country with rights until you have an encounter with the federal government. The power they have is unfathomable. And TC is federal and they rule these things.

I don't know if ti will make it safer. There are still a significant number of people who are willfully ignorant of the laws and regulations and won't apply for a SFOC because they think they are exempt. Unless you are operating in the middle of the bush away from everything, TC regulations say you need an SFOC to operate. Those of us that are getting SFOC's and enduring the pain of waiting for approvals until we get a blanket approval or work up to Compliant Operator Status know what is required to safely operate a UAV in this Country. There are many 'companies' operating with SFOC and no insurance. Before we got into the business, we had asked for quotes from a company to do some work. In looking at their videos, they were taken within 5nm of a major airport (Class C Control Zone). They said they did not need a SFOC as they were exempt. They also has videos clearly operating around people and video taken flying around the exterior of a highrise building at the top floor. The pic was inside waving to the UAV. there are open streets and people walking around below. I said no thanks and that they might want to review their needs for SFOC.

Is that SFOC sample application still a valid template for SFOC? I would like to become compliant but I would also like to build flight hours and finding a place to fly that is 9km from any structure is rather difficult.

I checked Nav Canada for the air space type but can't seem to find any map on there that shows it. Is this something I need to sign up for? Edit: I found the DAH handbook

Is that SFOC sample application still a valid template for SFOC? I would like to become compliant but I would also like to build flight hours and finding a place to fly that is 9km from any structure is rather difficult.

I checked Nav Canada for the air space type but can't seem to find any map on there that shows it. Is this something I need to sign up for? Edit: I found the DAH handbook

I found this handy little website. I don't know its origins, but it looks accurate for the airports I know.

http://www3.telus.net/cschwab/viewer/canadian_airspace.html

Reactions: Mugenski
I almost need a course to understand all the acronyms used on this map.

Looks like certain zones only start after a set altitude?

Lol! Yes, you do need a course! TC requires you as Pilot In charge (PIC) to either demonstrate you have the knowledge to read such maps (as well as other things) or you need to take a course to learn how. You can do it online. I have researched the pilottraining.ca course. Very thorough, but you need to be self motivated to go through the presentations and videos. They say it has 30 hours of instruction and then you have to take an exam and get 60% to pass the course to get your certificate. Not sure where you are located, but CCUVS in Medicine Hat Alberta puts on a 1.5 day course that gets you a certificate as well. They provide training to a lot of law enforcement and emergency response departments in Alberta that use UAVs. I am taking the course in May to see which will work best for our company. There is also a book called Unmanned that is an excellent reference.

Hope that helps you out

Lol! Yes, you do need a course! TC requires you as Pilot In charge (PIC) to either demonstrate you have the knowledge to read such maps (as well as other things) or you need to take a course to learn how. You can do it online. I have researched the pilottraining.ca course. Very thorough, but you need to be self motivated to go through the presentations and videos. They say it has 30 hours of instruction and then you have to take an exam and get 60% to pass the course to get your certificate. Not sure where you are located, but CCUVS in Medicine Hat Alberta puts on a 1.5 day course that gets you a certificate as well. They provide training to a lot of law enforcement and emergency response departments in Alberta that use UAVs. I am taking the course in May to see which will work best for our company. There is also a book called Unmanned that is an excellent reference.

Hope that helps you out

Thanks for the tips. I'm a little ways out from Alberta Unfortunately but there course does look well accredited. I might have to do the online course as I have some free time but probably not enough to fly out to Alberta. Hopefully PilotTraining.ca is recognized by TC and will stay as such.

Looks like I'll start it shortly :)

In the process to become a compliant operator, TC requires a small UAV System Declaration of Compliance and a Statement of Conformity. Does anyone know if this has ever been produced by DJI for the Inspire ? Attached is the TC Staff instruction that references it in Section 9.7 and Appendix E & F

Attachments

• si-623-001.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 38
I took the www.pilottraining.ca UAV course as well as the ROC-A. These took a few weeks as there are a lot of long videos and presentations before I attempted the exam. Yes it is quite in dept but very informative. I highly recommend them.

I took the www.pilottraining.ca UAV course as well as the ROC-A. These took a few weeks as there are a lot of long videos and presentations before I attempted the exam. Yes it is quite in dept but very informative. I highly recommend them.
Is the certificate that you get out of that particular course recognized by Transport Canada?

Separately, can anyone recommend an insurance provider in Eastern Canada (Quebec)?

Thanks.

Yes the certification is recognized by Transport Canada as stated
"The UAV course covers all of the topics found in TP 15263E (08/2014) Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Unmanned Air Vehicle Systems UAV 25 kg or less, Operating within Visual Line of Sight."

Our blog has a number of articles on the SFOC process that may be of help to many here looking to learn more or make an application - SFOC | in the flitelab

Most all commercial uses will still need an SFOC. Exemptions rarely apply as they are only for very rural applications.

Reactions: eldorado
My UAS business has a branch where we train students on all the fundamentals of being a commercial multi-rotor pilot. We cover all the TP 15263E (08/2014) Knowledge Requirements and go into more depth with current issues with UAS, and common bugs and checklists. Students who finish the 3 day workshop get a certificate and prepared to write applications and flight plans for their SFOC. Day 3 we go to the field and do flight exercises and emergency drills UAV Business Training and Support Services Victoria BC.

In the process to become a compliant operator, TC requires a small UAV System Declaration of Compliance and a Statement of Conformity. Does anyone know if this has ever been produced by DJI for the Inspire ? Attached is the TC Staff instruction that references it in Section 9.7 and Appendix E & F

I feel like this is the most important part. Im new, but I've been scouring the internet trying to figure this out. How do you get a statement of conformity from China, when you build the craft in canada?

As far as I understand, amongst other things, you NEED these 2 pieces of information for an SFOC. This mans comment was ignored, can anyone please shed some light. How did you get your SFOC without these, or better yet, how did you get these pieces of information??

Apply as Restricted Complex and you do not need letter of conformity or declaration of compliance. Most all operators are using Restricted Complex SFOCs. Currently there are only 2 compliant UAVs, the Aeryon SkyRanger and Sensefly eBee.

With the new regulations coming the end of 2016 there isn't much point to worry about Compliant until the full new regulations are known.

Reactions: eldorado
Apply as Restricted Complex and you do not need letter of conformity or declaration of compliance. Most all operators are using Restricted Complex SFOCs. Currently there are only 2 compliant UAVs, the Aeryon SkyRanger and Sensefly eBee.

With the new regulations coming the end of 2016 there isn't much point to worry about Compliant until the full new regulations are known.
So basically, unless you can afford a 6-figure drone, you are doomed to restricted operator and your hands are tied?

I was under the impression that you need compliant operator to shoot basically everything besides a remote farmers field.

You can pretty much do all the same operations with Restricted Complex as you can as Compliant. You may be thinking of the Exemptions which are limited to remote rural areas. Majority of operators are using Restricted complex and operation in controlled airspace, in urban areas, etc. There have been operators that have done this even flying at large airports. Restricted Complex can also be granted for up to one year Standing for multiple operations.

I'd suggest seeing these articles on out blog - SFOC Article Index

I thought I'd keep this thread alive:

Compliant Operator and Restricted Operator are different application paths. A compliant operator requires the restricted SFOC before applying for Compliant Operator

From TC website:

Compliant operator applicants
If you’re an experienced UAV operator, you may get additional privileges by becoming a “compliant operator.” To do so, you must:
  • operate a compliant UAV
  • have appropriately trained pilots
  • meet specific operator requirements
If you wish to apply for a Compliant UAV Operator Special Flight Operations Certificate, consult the list of compliant unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) to see if your UAVs qualify. We’ll update this list as more UAVs become compliant.

There are changes proposed in Canada that are heading towards compliant aircraft as mandatory for SFOC.

Additionally there is now a National Designation for SFOC operators across all 5 regions.

Anyone making progress with the new regs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz