Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Carbon fiber blades?

Just goes to show you - people want accessories and to customize. DJI is missing out on alot of $ by not having a deep catelog of props, bodies, stickers, etc, etc.

As far as props go, I'm still on my original set on my Phantom. Bought some genuine spares, but haven't needed them because I don't crash. I'd not risk buying knock-offs for such a critical aspect of the aircraft.

Why do you want to customize when the product works as produced? I have the E800 prop locks and yes that is an upgrade that most would like but CF props, not getting it. Most CF props are not balanced as well as the DJI props and you will have issues with that. Use the props that tDJI provided, snug them up and you will not have issues. Just my opinion.

Has anyone bought or have any opinion on carbon fiber props i have found some that are for the inspire is it a good idea. If anyone has any input plz let me know.

Following posted on DJI forum. May be helpful until props available

I too have no idea why anyone would screw around with third party carbon props.

Reactions: NEJO/Wisconsin
I too have no idea why anyone would screw around with third party carbon props.

There are no other props really available. If props are needed, the only ones readily available are the carbon fiber props. And I really do not want to use those. I want a supply to take on a trip of a set or two. But I just don't understand why I cannot find anywhere on the planet earth that can supply me with some. Can I go to the manufacturing facility with some money and pick a few up at the door?

Possibly one of the reasons that the original Inspire props are not available is that DJI is currently testing new props that will securely attach to the motor hubs via a new mechanism, as in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30806600&postcount=17904

Once these props are beta tested, they will most likely be offered as replacement parts (possibly mid-March, per @Tahoe_Ed). So it might behoove us to wait until they become available.

Regarding the issue of CF props, I'd echo the sentiments of many of you above that they are not worth the investment, as they do not add anything to the flying characteristics, but are much more brittle in a crash, and would do a great deal more damage to a person if they come in contact.

There are no other props really available. If props are needed, the only ones readily available are the carbon fiber props. And I really do not want to use those. I want a supply to take on a trip of a set or two. But I just don't understand why I cannot find anywhere on the planet earth that can supply me with some. Can I go to the manufacturing facility with some money and pick a few up at the door?

How much does a round-trip ticket to China cost?

The U.S. Military uses Carbon Fiber for some of the most advanced rotor winged craft on the planet I'm a newbie to UAS's but old head at nitro boats and we tinkered with props incessantly, Hell here in America it is a tradition to buy something and immediately try to build upon or improve it under an old oak tree, I am in fact researching 3D Printing to see if it is a viable option, I gave up on the idea of quieter props when I flew my Inspire and heard how quiet it was. How can we improve the industry if we don't push the limits and try new things? With the exception of plastic (I'm guessing way too much flexing) I'm willing to try new materials. I'm also wondering about laid up fiberglass with thin aluminum stiffeners running the length of the props.

Reactions: damoncooper
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but are the stock props that come with the Inspire carbon fiber?
A carbon/resin composite I believe. They have some bend in them but not so much as to effect performance. Carbon blades are expensive and the slightest knick and the blades are toast. Stick with factory blades... Less expensive and totally available at the DJI store. I cached a bunch of original headed props and prop locks.

I bought the DJI carbon fibre reinforced props for the P2 and then again for the I1.
I liked them on both. It might be just a feeling, but the craft feels a little more nimble when using them. They're a more rigid prop, so direction and other commands transfer to the frame a bit faster. If you issue a direction or other change to the craft while using the more flexible props, the prop will flex a bit before the craft will start to follow. But that's just my feeling about it. It would be hard to document and prove it.

They do seem to be a bit more brittle. I flew through just the very tiniest tip of a branch with the P2 while using them, and she kept on flying just fine, so didn't think much of it till it landed, and I found I'd snapped about 1cm off the tip of both blades on the one prop. The software on board must have sped that prop up, and/or slowed the others down to compensate for the lesser lift on that one prop, which amazed me, but to have them snap so cleanly off from hitting not much more than a twig, was disappointing. They do feel like they'd be more brittle.

I do think they're far too expensive - especially by the time they get sent to Australia in my case, but they're nice to fly with, and hey, they've got nice yellow stripes on the tips, which looks really cool.

I have been using 13.5 CF props as of late. I like the better speeds and the better responsiveness. Depending on the ones I use, they seem a slight bit quieter as well. I have been using them in conjunction with an aircraft aluminum adapter that I found online specifically for the i1.

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    946.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
It's all I fly. (14x4.8) I love em. But I would NOT recommend them for folks new to RC, flying in close quarters or inside. They are especially good for AP in windier conditions (I do a lot of AP by the sea) as the blades cut through the wind and I find the AC doesn't bounce around nearly as much. They are measurably quieter and look like they mean business, if that matters to you.

(I do admit to using them to scare the bystanders back 30+ ft if I gather a crowd, saying they are very dangerous and they need to stay WAAAYY back. Had more than a few people ask if they could touch them after I landed and disarmed....)

Just my personal opinion. I realize CF props aren't for everyone, but I love my T-Motors. I can pop the original auto-tightening props with locks on anytime and I do carry both with me everywhere.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452655392.036312.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452655799.604105.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452655832.886936.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452656321.276865.jpg

Last edited:
Damon, how much is a set (4) of the CF props? What mods are needed to mount to motors and how much does that cost?

When you match the OEM blades up against the CF ones how much longer are the CF ones?

With longer props with a stepper pitch they would tend to make the props turn slower for the same conditions but might result in slightly longer flight times -- any idea what effect the CF blades have on flight time?

Brian

Damon, how much is a set (4) of the CF props? What mods are needed to mount to motors and how much does that cost?

When you match the OEM blades up against the CF ones how much longer are the CF ones?

With longer props with a stepper pitch they would tend to make the props turn slower for the same conditions but might result in slightly longer flight times -- any idea what effect the CF blades have on flight time?

Brian

They cost several body parts. Main limbs actually :) You also need high quality mounting plates made for the Inspire to avoid resonance and other problems.

The stock props are 13.something inch, and you can use 13 x 4.4 or 14 x 4.8 CF props on the Inspire. 14's are best for AP, 13's for agility and fun flying.

But let me add: there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original auto tightening props and locks. Those are my standbys. I'm just a a bit of an extreme performance freak and I like to tinker to see if I can get more out of stock gear.

They cost several body parts. Main limbs actually :) You also need high quality mounting plates made for the Inspire to avoid resonance and other problems.

The stock props are 13.something inch, and you can use 13 x 4.4 or 14 x 4.8 CF props on the Inspire. 14's are best for AP, 13's for agility and fun flying.

But let me add: there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original auto tightening props and locks. Those are my standbys. I'm just a a bit of an extreme performance freak and I like to tinker to see if I can get more out of stock gear.

I can see how the larger CF props might be better for AP and it's for that reason I asked. I can see them being a performance advantage at high altitude or thin air and I can see how they might smooth things a bit. I'd sacrifice a bit of nimbleness for smoother flight. Sorry to press you here but can you quantify at all the difference in flight times? Longer slower props, all thing being equal, should be a bit more efficient permitting longer flights per battery.

Brian

I can see how the larger CF props might be better for AP and it's for that reason I asked. I can see them being a performance advantage at high altitude or thin air and I can see how they might smooth things a bit. I'd sacrifice a bit of nimbleness for smoother flight. Sorry to press you here but can you quantify at all the difference in flight times? Longer slower props, all thing being equal, should be a bit more efficient permitting longer flights per battery.

Brian

I haven't taken the time to measure stock vs CF flight time but I'm using a battery mod to add flight time (separate thread). Using CF and two 2650mah 6S's yields this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452659613.046408.jpg

OK, that makes even more sense -- longer props would be expected with greater weight and those additional batteries would, with mounting, be an additional 1.5 pounds or so not counting any other additions. Still, 28.5 minutes is pretty impressive and that's probably not achievable with additional batteries alone.

Of course, that additional weight needs to be lifted by the same motors so they're being worked harder and longer. But, don't the newer I1's (Pro and V2) come with a bit more powerful motors?

By my calculation you should get about 21:20 with 30% remaining -- that would be sweet...

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide