Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Carrying around extra props. What's your opinion?

Reaction score
I have been lugging around extra props for that Oh crap moment. The problem is I bought this unit second hand and it has the upgraded QD mounts. So I have 8 regular spin on self tightening props and 4 extra QD props. I carry four of each just in case I have an issue with the QD mounts and have to go back to the spin ons but I'm thinking if I had a malfunction of a QD clip it would be easier to replace the clip and put a QD prop back on versus changing over to the spin ons in the field Would you say "forget self tightening and carry an extra set of QD clip"?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I only carry 2 extra props. More than enough. Doesn't matter which type you use. 2 should be enough. In the case you would need to change them all 4 at once, there would be no reason to fly in the first place. There would be a compelling reason to go home and read the manual and start learning how to fly, however.

Reactions: Kilrah
Same, got 2 spare props and clips to cover me accidentally damaging one while handling the machine on the ground, but that's it. The integrity check and any necessary replacements should be done before leaving home.
Then should I cause any damage while they're spinning I'd cancel the job to go do a thorough check, and causing damage in the first place would mean I'm on enough of a bad day that I shouldn't fly any more to avoid further risks.

I have been using the self-tightening props with locks. Ordered a couple more sets from DJI. I'm not sure when I should be changing these out, however? I do a quick inspection before every flight...the props seem fine, but I'm not sure if there is any rule of thumb recommended for changing out props over time? I last changed them about 4 months ago...have done a fair amount of flying/shooting, but now that cold weather has arrived, I'm doing much less flying. Thanks for any advice.

I don't think you would ever need to change out a self tightening prop unless you see damage to the blade or threads. I'm still flying on my original props which are 10 months old on one of my Inspires. I give them a good look-over and check balance (never needed rebalancing) before going out into the field. That said, I bring one CW and One CCW prop in the case in the event I do something while handling the bird. If I broke a prop while flying or spinning the blades, I'd want to grind the unit till I gave it a thorough inspection. It does not take much to damage an Inspire and those linkages, gimbal and landing gear are pretty fragile.

Worth noting again... I don't use QR props of any kind. I prefer to use self tightening props, securely fastened and backed-up with the prop locks.

That's what I'm doing...self-tightening with prop locks. Thanks for your feedback. I carry extras with me.

Reactions: tweaker
Have the new T props now.
First time I've ever trusted the attachments since I've bought it a year ago.

Self tightening and locks for me.

Solid secure and redundancy built in with the locks-just do not like the QR Idea.

Im quite happy taking all the time in the world doing my pre flight checks.

I do not really need a "quick" release feature in a prop-especially when airborne.

Reactions: The Editor
If you are doing a job always use brand new props every time you do a shoot, have a second inspire ready if the first fails, and dont fly on props if they are scuffed/scratched. A simple scuff can turn into a fracture/break while in the sky. Locks are cheap and effective but whats the point of a lock if the prop snaps mid flight.

If you are doing a job always use brand new props every time you do a shoot, have a second inspire ready if the first fails, and dont fly on props if they are scuffed/scratched. A simple scuff can turn into a fracture/break while in the sky. Locks are cheap and effective but whats the point of a lock if the prop snaps mid flight.

I would never think to replace props after a few flights on them unless they showed signs of stress or they were broken.

Have you had a terrible experience with these props in the past?

We have seen drones fall out of the sky because of beginners not checking the props for cracks or scratches.

If you do a job and your inspire falls out of the air then you wont get paid. Its a better option to replace props at $20 just to be sure.

If you crash and damage the QD mount, chances are you have snapped the boom as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207