Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Case handle broke!

In the "notes" of the order you can leave the color and personalization information. If I receive an order without this I simply email to check. eBay isn't as robust as it should be but it was easiest for me to make these available ASAP. Feel free to email me directly (since I don't know how to PM on here…) [email protected]
Early feedback from those that have ordered handle Anchors….. the OEM screws are too aggressive and can easily strip the anchor. We've beefed up the design and added embedded steel nuts in the anchor and are providing bolts and washers to use instead of the OEM screws. As quickly as we can we're assembling replacements to ship to those who ordered. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. If you haven't already installed your anchors, follow the instructions and don't over tighten the screws or just wait until the second set with bolts and nuts arrives. Happy flying!

Bolted.jpg

A good example of why 3D printing works. Within 4 hours of learning this was an issue we had revised the design and output new pieces for testing, 12 hours later testing was complete and new parts were being printed and going into the mail. Within 24 hours all parts were in the mail and heading to the UK, Mexico, Sweden, Thailand and of course the Continental US. Luckily it was a simple piece and less than a 100 customers.

@davidbarwin Sigh....how about using your open source technology to provide the .stl files free of charge on thingiverse? Otherwise, I'll just do it myself and upload them to thingiverse.

@davidbarwin Sigh....how about using your open source technology to provide the .stl files free of charge on thingiverse? Otherwise, I'll just do it myself and upload them to thingiverse.
Why should he do that?

I hate when people expect to get stl's for free.. if he wanted to share them he would have done so already.

If you choose to make them, then go ahead. It's your time not his.

And yes I do share some of my designs.. NOT all though.

Thanks. How come you have 3 3d printers? Is this a business or you just love them so much?
My Inspire should be with me next week... I might be needing to order these handles from you - I take it you ship to the UK?

Reactions: davidbarwin
Thanks. How come you have 3 3d printers? Is this a business or you just love them so much?
My Inspire should be with me next week... I might be needing to order these handles from you - I take it you ship to the UK?
3D Printing and Prototyping is indeed a part of our business and something I enjoy very much. We have a total of eight 3D printers in house but it's the three Zortrax M200s that are replacing our initial five MakerBot Replicator 2s. And yes we do and have shipped to the UK. Congrats on the new Inspire and Happy Flying!

Last edited:
David,

I ordered my Inspire yesterday. I was talking to the owner of the helicopter place and told him I wasn't interested in the case (I wanted another brand) but he said it was complimentary when you bought an Inspire.

He asked me why I didn't want it and I told him I've read of at least 4-5 people that the handles broke.

Point is, you have created a PERFECT solution. Very impressed with the 3D printer and what you've made.

Since my case is coming regardless, I'll be sure to order your parts, VERY nice job!

Mark

A good example of why 3D printing works. Within 4 hours of learning this was an issue we had revised the design and output new pieces for testing, 12 hours later testing was complete and new parts were being printed and going into the mail. Within 24 hours all parts were in the mail and heading to the UK, Mexico, Sweden, Thailand and of course the Continental US. Luckily it was a simple piece and less than a 100 customers.
David - I received my replacement anchors yesterday. Thanks for the fantastic customer service! I've not had a chance to put them, or the new feet, on my case yet, but hope to this weekend. Thanks!!

Wanted to update the board as it appears DJI revised the handle anchor design a while ago with an embedded nut as well and a different size for the holes in the anchor base plate. We've updated our design and to remedy what appears to be at least two different designs on the market we now include a matching high-strength base plate that will work with either version. And as always...... if it breaks we'll replace it for free.
Nerw%20Anchor%202.jpg

Reactions: huppe
I'm just waiting for this to happen to me too.
I hold my tablet in there, fire extinguisher and soon another 2 batteries (totalling 4) I can feel the weight increasing everytime I go out for a flight haha

Sounds like an opportunity for someone with 3D printers. ;) Once my Inspire arrives from B & H I'll take a look at the case and broken part to see if there isn't something I can do for you. I'd use Z-ABS on my Zortrax printer……… -David
I am considering producing them for sale. I'll run some numbers and print samples in a small variety of colors and see what makes sense. I did a custom front badge as well and applied it with 3M tape since I couldn't get the OEM badge to stay on.
DJIBadgeb.jpg

Hey David,

I am sure you have received many requests at this point but my plastic pieces for my inspire case have seen their last days!

I don't have a 3D printer and it looks like you did great work on the ones you made! I am requesting at your will to hopefully get a set printed. I will compensate your time and pay for the materials and shipping as well.

Please let me know if we can work something out.

Safe flying,
Lee

Wanted to update the board as it appears DJI revised the handle anchor design a while ago with an embedded nut as well and a different size for the holes in the anchor base plate. We've updated our design and to remedy what appears to be at least two different designs on the market we now include a matching high-strength base plate that will work with either version. And as always...... if it breaks we'll replace it for free.
Nerw%20Anchor%202.jpg
Where can we purchase these?

I'm just waiting for this to happen to me too.
I hold my tablet in there, fire extinguisher and soon another 2 batteries (totalling 4) I can feel the weight increasing everytime I go out for a flight haha
That is a lot of weight. You may want to consider replacing the anchors proactively and not wait for them to break and risk damaging the case or worse something inside the case. Best $10 you'll spend on your Inspire. ;-)

Finally found time to put down my controller (you were correct flowsun ….. I LOVE IT!) and mockup and 3D print replacement DJI Case parts. Had to test them for myself so I did a full set in a nice contrasty yellow (pictures attached). PM me your address flowsun and I'll drop a black pair of replacement handle parts in the mail for you gratis. Please let me know how they work for you….just don't over tighten them when you screw them in. I used a nice high-temp Z-ABS. Obviously the usual "disclaimer of my liability" applies…. use at your own risk. For those interested, I used a Zortrax M200 to print these @ .14mm. Each handle piece takes about 38 minutes and the complete full set takes 8 +hours of print time.
DJICase1.JPG
DJICase2.JPG
DJICase3.JPG
DJICase4.JPG
Super nice job. I too have two cases that broke the exact same piece. Was just walking along and boom, almost dropped the case on the ground (both times) I'd be more than happy to buy a couple of sets from you to keep the cases in working order. They are nice and small for the back of the car.

Thanks for your consideration!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669