Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cases and Transportation

They haven't published dimensions, so we'll wait and see. The Inspire is 17.25" in wide. Most airlines stop at 14" wide for carry on, so it's almost impossible at this point to make a carry on compatible system for the Inspire 1. The GoProfessional brand case is oversized baggage. You're going to have to pay big bucks to check it.

Ok so we can't carry-on, but why would it be oversized luggage and cost a lot to bring? Living in Hong Kong, flights are by default international so checking it as normal luggage should be ok right? If not, this is a show stopper for me.

I've checked Cathay Pacific website and this is what I found:
16391e706a5cd4506ec6c072476f2bb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip Bloom has a pic of what looks to be the smallest hard case it would fit in. I can't identify it. Any ideas?

http://philipbloom.net/2014/11/20/inpsireone/
Good eye! It appears to be a HPRC AMRE2700 / HPRC2700: http://www.adorama.com/HPRE2700FBK.html

Edit: Upon further review, it's the wheeled version HPRC 2700W: http://www.amazon.com/HPRC-2700W-Series-Wheeled-HPRC2700WF/dp/B0084DR22E

It's possible that this is his camera case, too... we're not 100% sure the Inspire came out of it. At roughly 8" deep I don't think it would fit.

An apparent insider on DJI's Inspire forum indicated that the Inspire has a mode where it lays flat to reduce the case height requirement. He refers to it as "pack mode." Makes sense and hope it's true.

Can someone validate this.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Remove the camera (2 seconds) and the props (2 minutes), and the Inspire 1 has roughly the same dimensions as the Phantom series with props on. (The diagonal dimension difference without props is only 6.7 to 7.5 inches.) I would happily pay ~$200 for a case the size of the current Phantom 2 cases with custom cut foam to fit the Inspire 1 in this configuration, along with one controller and as many batteries as will fit.

Not sure of your dimension calculations, but if it affords a smaller case, I would certainly be willing to 1) remove camera and 2) props, and 3) I personally, need only one controller. Tradecraft cases has already posted on their website that a carry-on case is out of the question. Maybe not the case without props.

I wonder how many members agree, and I hope the manufacturers are listening. Would be helpful if you could all voice your opinions.

At a nominal 18x18x12" (DJI Official specs) there's no way to shoe this into a carry on. On the other hand, it looks much easier to create a case small enough to not incur oversize bag charges.

At 21" x 17" x 9", the smallest Phantom case is also not a legal carry on, but plenty of folks have carried it on and they fit well due to the deepened bins on modern airliners. With the camera removed, and the arms in "pack mode", thickness of the Inspire 1 would likely reduce from 11.9" to not exceed a Phantom's, so 9" case thickness should not be a problem. A case with only slightly larger horizontal dimensions than the Phantom's should be able to accommodate the Inspire's 17.8" x 18.9" horizontal dimensions: http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/spec

21" x 20" x 9" should fit everything padded with plenty of foam, with loads of room left for controllers and batteries as a result of the space efficient "H" geometry of the Inspire 1. That's only 2" wider in one dimension than the smallest Phantom case available.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the massive GoProfessional case requires removal of the camera and props as well. It is in prototype at this point, waiting to be fitted to the production version, but is 20.5" wide.

Hopefully, they will shave 7" off of the total linear dimensions so it can be accepted as normal checked baggage without the oversize baggage fee ($200 each way!) and $200 off of the price so people might buy it.

I also hope there's a way to minimize the Inspire's carrying size for travel. With considerations like the 99.90WH batteries, it would make sense for the quad itself to be storable for carry-on as well.

That case is just smart. Smart for DJI, not much more expensive than a styrofoam shipping box and something the customers will really appreciate.

Anyone knows the dimensions of the DJI Inspire 1 case that we are now getting with our Inspire 1 shipments?

580x520x275mm or 22x19x9.5"
is what i have read.
It should fit in a pelican Storm case Im2875.

Also consider that if the DJI insert is removable, it could be moved into a smaller hard case from Pelican or HRPC.

While the entire DJI case won't fit, it's possible that the insert may fit into my HPRC P2V+ case. Same may be true for many that have existing hard cases for their Visions.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: ctp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela