Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cases and Transportation

Would you risk checking this case in considering how checked-in cases are treated by airport staff? Do you think there would be a risk of things getting damaged or should it be fine? I mean, there are some fragile components and sensors on this thing I imagine man.

For anyone interested in air travel with your Inspire 1, the DJI case fits easily in the deepened overhead bin of all Delta jets with plenty of room to spare. Template shows that it can be placed long dimension in B737 overhead bins with over 3" to spare while closing the bin:

DJI_Inspire_1_Case_in_Overhead_Bin.jpg

The narrower dimension is shown on the template for reference. I cannot vouch for the depth of other airlines' bins, but this template demonstrates it will also fit narrow dimension in, in a much smaller space.

Remarkably, this case fits all of the same components of the Go Professional case in 37% of the volume. It can save you as much as $200 each way when you travel (the Go Professional case incurs oversize baggage fees).

While it is technically larger than the 22" x 14" x 9" limit major carriers in the USA impose on carry on luggage, plenty of folks bring larger luggage every day. A limiting factor might be width of the x-ray machine at the security checkpoint, so you may want to arrive early in case either TSA or the airline itself makes you check it.

The $25 checked baggage fee may be no fun (if it applies to you), but if you plan to check it anyway, the advantage is that you can transport a third 5.7 Ah battery, but only if installed in the quadcopter and checked. All other spare batteries must travel with you in your carry on luggage, with no limit on the number of 4.5 Ah batteries, but a maximum of 2 x 5.7 Ah batteries.

For anyone interested in air travel with your Inspire 1, the DJI case fits easily in the deepened overhead bin of all Delta jets with plenty of room to spare. Template shows that it can be placed long dimension in B737 overhead bins with over 3" to spare while closing the bin:

DJI_Inspire_1_Case_in_Overhead_Bin.jpg

The narrower dimension is shown on the template for reference. I cannot vouch for the depth of other airlines' bins, but this template demonstrates it will also fit narrow dimension in, in a much smaller space.

Remarkably, this case fits all of the same components of the Go Professional case in 37% of the volume. It can save you as much as $200 each way when you travel (the Go Professional case incurs oversize baggage fees).

While it is technically larger than the 22" x 14" x 9" limit major carriers in the USA impose on carry on luggage, plenty of folks bring larger luggage every day. A limiting factor might be width of the x-ray machine at the security checkpoint, so you may want to arrive early in case either TSA or the airline itself makes you check it.

The $25 checked baggage fee may be no fun (if it applies to you), but if you plan to check it anyway, the advantage is that you can transport a third 5.7 Ah battery, but only if installed in the quadcopter and checked. All other spare batteries must travel with you in your carry on luggage, with no limit on the number of 4.5 Ah batteries, but a maximum of 2 x 5.7 Ah batteries.

Excellent report, @ultraturtle. I think GoProfessional is going to have to scramble to figure out how to induce customers to buy their oversized cases at almost $500 additional cost. While I'm not saying that the DJI cases are comparable in strength, durability, waterproofness or security, on the other hand they will not incur oversize baggage charges either. I've travelled quite a bit with my GPC Phantom case, and have never been prevented from carrying it onboard or stowing it in the overhead bins. If required to check a case, it still means having to carry the spare batteries on board, so it's not a very convenient situation, as the batteries are heavy and, in the interest of safety, need to be securely stowed to avoid damage, rupture and thermal runaway. That means figuring out how to deal with them when they are not in their secure cradle in the case. It bears thinking about how you are going to deal with that situation in light of the other carry-on restrictions. :eek:

I was incorrect about the need to check the Inspire 1 if you have a third 5.7 Ah battery installed in the copter. The IATA passenger guide is a bit easier to read than the FAA version:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf

Aside from the seldom enforced size limit for the case, there should no problem carrying on the Inspire with a 5.7 Ah battery installed, two additional 5.7 Ah spares, and as many 4.5 Ah spares as you wish.

Reactions: xybe
The previous YouTube video I posted has since been removed by the user.

He has since posted another showing a correct version of the Inspire "travel mode" showing the arms retracting to horizontal.

Here is the link to his new video:

Reactions: DustyVisor
Interesting that Travel Mode makes the Inspire 1 wider, negating the some of the benefit of giving it a thinner profile.

Reactions: Apollyon
I understand everyone distrusting the airlines when it comes to properly handling your gear. However I doubt there is that much to worry about with a good case with pick'n'pluck foam.

I did some looking around at cases for my phantom 2 setup. My main concerns were size and packing material. I wanted to be able to leave everything built, including prop guards. I finally bought a pelican 1690. After buying the case and prior to it arriving i experienced a fly away. totally pilot error. Lost line of sight and signal.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1690-...708263&sr=8-1&keywords=pelican+1690+with+foam

Anyway I used it as a reason to upgrade. And I'm glad I have the case for when the Inspire 1 arrives, also as a bonus there is plenty of excess room to throw my Mark III and a few lenses and bricks in there.

In conclusion I'm not so worried about checking the case because the more delicate parts of the inspire are modular and detach. With the camera and gimbal detached and packed in foam I feel confident baggage handlers won't do any harm to the gear.

It's a monster case.

33.4 x 18.2 x 28.4 inches ; 47 pounds.

Baggage charges, hernias etc.

I been looking for the post on carrying batteries on the plane as carry on. In regards does someone have a location for hard evidence. Getting ready to fly internationally and I read that the T47 batteries are unlimited and T48 batteries are authorized for 2 .. any help would be appreciated

That's correct, many posts about that lately with links and all. You can have one battery of any size installed in the (checked-in) craft, so if you put a TB48 there you can have 3 of them total.

If you want hard proof either look for those posts, or even better check the conditions page of the airline you'll be flying with.

Ty Kilara,

I do allot of traveling to Asia and Africa so you can feel the concern. Don't want to be stuck with five batteries in Hand and the airline telling me no. Is why I want some information to pre print w the batteries to try to ensure regulations are meet and complaint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ty Kilara,

I do allot of traveling to Asia and Africa so you can feel the concern. Don't want to be stuck with five batteries in Hand and the airline telling me no. Is why I want some information to pre print w the batteries to try to ensure regulations are meet and complaint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I own an Inspire and have travelled around Asia for the past month using Cathay Pacific, Thai Airlines and Bangkok Airlines. I was carrying the DJI Inspire case as a carry-on in all instances as well as 5 batteries. Cathay Pacific gave me a special sticker to allow me to pass the screening with the case as I could not check-in the luggage. No problem with Cathay and Thai. For Bangkok Airlines, they initially said my case would not fit in the overhead bin and asked me to check the luggage. I refused to do so and asked that I be given the chance to bring the case on board. Well, it fit just fine.

All this to say that I have faced no issues with the batteries and the case as a carry-on. Regarding batteries, all 3 airlines authorise 2 TB48 as carry-on and unlimited TB47. You can theoretically have a third TB48 if it is inside the Inspire, but given the recent incident that took place on a plane with the Inspire, I would never leave a battery inside the Inspire and as a result would limit myself to 2 TB48.

I have now purchased the TradeCraft case for the Inspire and will check-in that huge piece while I keep all batteries safely with me inside the plane.

Hope this helps. Cheers

I purchased the tradecraft case last week and took it to Hawaii for a quick getaway. I didnt want to risk being forced to check in the inspire 1 because of the stock case size. Gotta say the tradecraft case is great, not overly big, easy to roll. Kept the batteries in my carry on in special lipo bags that I got from amazon. Will post pictures of the case later today.

I just received my Tradecraft case for the Inspire. It is my second case from them. I have enjoyed my Phantom 2 case and have used it to travel back and forth to Tahoe from Las Vegas. I have never had an issue with taking it on the plane with me. Just a note I travel SWA your experience may vary by carrier. To the Inspire case, it is not a carry on case but a checked or shipping case. That is fine as it is definitely up to the task and will stand up to the abuse of baggage handlers. Inside the case is plenty of room for the Inspire in "UP" mode. You will not have to enter travel mode with this case. The case is set up for two Tx's, 7 or more lipos, the gimbal case, extra props and a area for extra storage for cables, charger, etc, under the 4 lipo area. You just need to remove the foam and the area is open for your use. They also include two foam inserts that fit over the arms and secures them and the two Tx's. Very nice design.

This is a link to my blog:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2373330

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaisyBanue