Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Charging in the field

Can anyone confirm whether this would work and wouldn't be harmful to the Inspire batteries? Amazon.com : Goal Zero 23000 Yeti 400 Solar Generator : Inverter Power Generators : Electronics

I have one that I use for other activities. First time flying I thought I'd use it to recharge batteries. Got 1 battery completely charged and about 1/2 another before it shut down due to low charge remaining. As someone else pointed out, the solar panels are basically going to be to slowly recharge the unit, although I've been able to run a Peltier effect cooler while camping to get an extra day or so out of the ice. Remember that it is lead acid battery technology (glass mat) so even a deep discharge isn't much more than a few volts' drop.

smoak5 (or anyone else):
Have you used the Anker Powerhouse to charge Inspire 1 TB48 batteries? If so, assuming I start with the Anker fully charged and run the TB48’s down to between 20% and 30%, about how many TB48’s would the Anker recharge to 100% based on your experience, and how long per TB48?

I’m hoping the number is around 3, since the TB48’s hold 130Wh of power and the Anker is rated at 434Wh, but I’m sure that some of the Anker’s power is consumed in the conversion to AC. I also fear that the charge time would be fairly long (partly because I’d have to use the I1's 100W charger to stay within the Anker’s 130W rating). Any real world numbers or insights you can share would be most appreciated.

For background, in case anyone is interested, there are definitely times in spring, summer, and fall when my current set of 8 TB48’s are not enough to get me through all of my shoots, and I need to be recharging while shooting and while moving between different locations. Last season I used an old gas guzzling van outfitted with a system like the one described by SEDroneTech above (3000W inverter powered by a second battery isolated from the van’s electronics except for being charged by the alternator) but I just got a new fuel efficient hybrid SUV to use in the upcoming season and don’t like the idea of putting that bulky inverter system in my new vehicle. And I don’t want to buy more I1 batteries, as I plan to upgrade to I2 soon. Hoping I can get by with something like the Anker Powerhouse, which would continue to be useful for recharging I2 batteries other devices too.

Thanks.

It seems awfully inefficient to convert 12VDC to 120VAC then back to 26.1VDC (using an inverter.)

I checked the DJI store and they now offer a 12V car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug. Inspire 2 - Car Charger | DJI Store
Unfortunately it takes 2.5 hours to charge two Inspire 2 batteries. It provides 26.1V at 3.45A (90 watts) which is half the amperage provided by the included AC charger.

I found a DC-DC step-up converter on ebay that I'm going to try. 900W DC-DC Boost Converter 8-60V to 10-120V 15A Step Up Power Supply Module X0B7 | eBay

This one is rated at 15 amps and is 85% efficient. I estimate this could power two Inspire 2 charging hubs each with two batteries charging at once, plus a transmitter.
Since this converter will easily blow the fuse on the cigarette lighter plug, it needs to be connected directly to a vehicle's battery. Looks like there will be a good size drain to the vehicle's battery. Up to 18 amps?

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll wait for the DC-DC step-up converter to arrive then do some testing. It's constant voltage and constant current so should work well. I can probably add a connector to charge Inspire 1 batteries as well.

It seems awfully inefficient to convert 12VDC to 120VAC then back to 26.1VDC (using an inverter.)

I checked the DJI store and they now offer a 12V car charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug. Inspire 2 - Car Charger | DJI Store
Unfortunately it takes 2.5 hours to charge two Inspire 2 batteries. It provides 26.1V at 3.45A (90 watts) which is half the amperage provided by the included AC charger.

I found a DC-DC step-up converter on ebay that I'm going to try. 900W DC-DC Boost Converter 8-60V to 10-120V 15A Step Up Power Supply Module X0B7 | eBay

This one is rated at 15 amps and is 85% efficient. I estimate this could power two Inspire 2 charging hubs each with two batteries charging at once, plus a transmitter.
Since this converter will easily blow the fuse on the cigarette lighter plug, it needs to be connected directly to a vehicle's battery. Looks like there will be a good size drain to the vehicle's battery. Up to 18 amps?

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll wait for the DC-DC step-up converter to arrive then do some testing. It's constant voltage and constant current so should work well. I can probably add a connector to charge Inspire 1 batteries as well.
Thats just ridicioulous with that charging speed....

You're limited by the wiring to the outlet in the vehicle. These things will suck your battery flat in no time unless you run the vehicle or add batteries in an isolated bank

I use a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter with a 12 volt 8D battery in the bed of my truck. I use 2 I2 chargers, it will charge Inspire 2 batteries all day long.
Yes, this is a good setup if you have the room. I'll probably pull my similar system out of my old van and learn to live with it taking up space in the back of my SUV when needed. Lots of capacity, and I already have the parts. Thanks for sharing your photo.

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah