Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Circumventing no takeoff/landing zones

Reaction score
since many jurisdictions are circumventing FAA intent by enforcing no takeoff and landing rules how about taking off and landing from a pickup truck? Once airborne you can shoot your video then land on you aircraft carrier vehicle. Circumvent the rules of those circumventing the rules!

As a Police officer I would have to see how the ordinance is written, but I think you have a valid argument. You are taking off from your personal property and landing on your personal property. I doubt they were smart enough to think of a vehicle exception in the ordinance. I have copies of several city ordinances. I will check them to see it they have anything that would preclude taking off from a vehicle.

Last edited:
since many jurisdictions are circumventing FAA intent by enforcing no takeoff and landing rules how about taking off and landing from a pickup truck? Once airborne you can shoot your video then land on you aircraft carrier vehicle. Circumvent the rules of those circumventing the rules!
Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to driving your truck onto a city park that prohibits UAV takeoff and landings, then relying on the explanation that your truck bed is not on the park grounds and launch?

Don't see how that would "fly," pun intended...
It's like saying you are not trespassing on private property until you get out of your car? As a retired cop, you most definitely are trespassing and subject to arrest in this scenario.

Reactions: MacDyver
Don't get it, if you are off the premises you don't need the truck...
Others had no issue understanding my point,
since most parks are prohibiting takeoffs landings and operation of sUAS's on their sites, as they cannot make regulations concerning operation of sUAS's per FAA mandate,and in order to film those sites
put your craft in the back of a pickup truck park legally near where you wish to film but offsite
Takeoff, film and land from the back of your truck.

Others had no issue understanding my point,
since most parks are prohibiting takeoffs landings and operation of sUAS's on their sites, as they cannot make regulations concerning operation of sUAS's per FAA mandate,and in order to film those sites
put your craft in the back of a pickup truck park legally near where you wish to film but offsite
Takeoff, film and land from the back of your truck.
Don't get upset, I just don't see the point of the truck. If you are off the park grounds then you can launch anywhere, don't need a truck.
Sorry to intrude, I'm done.

Don't get upset, I just don't see the point of the truck. If you are off the park grounds then you can launch anywhere, don't need a truck.
Sorry to intrude, I'm done.
you can't launch from public sidewalks.

Signs signs everywhere a sign,
do this, don't do that,
Cant you read the signs!
5 man electric band!

You can take off from public sidewalks, at least in Canada you can.
I don't see the need for truck. Besides, I don't have one.

Not sure what you mean. Are you referring to driving your truck onto a city park that prohibits UAV takeoff and landings, then relying on the explanation that your truck bed is not on the park grounds and launch?

It's like saying you are not trespassing on private property until you get out of your car? As a retired cop, you most definitely are trespassing and subject to arrest in this scenario.

Like I said I would have to see the ordinance but you are talking about two different things, private property is not public property. If the ordinance is written as "you shall not possess a drone on city park property" then I would agree that they have that right to limit what they are considering "contraband" inside the public park. If it states "you shall not launch or recover a drone from city park property, I would think that there is enough wiggle room in the ordanance to rate a pass on the ticket or summons. Then the city counsel would need to change the wording of the ordinance to encompass the aircraft carrier vehicle exception. Lots of Cities have no smoking in the public park ordinances, but that does not stop anyone from smoking in their car as they are driving through the area. You have to remember that things are different now, wording is everything in how a statute is written. Nothing would stop you from going to Joe Blows house across the street, parking in his driveway and flying over the park and filming to your hearts content. As long as Joe Blow consents to your use of his property as a launch and recovery area. Our city banned melons in the park. I can assure you many a melon was consumed in the park under the direct witness of the officers without arrest.

Reactions: MacDyver
Like I said I would have to see the ordinance but you are talking about two different things, private property is not public property. If the ordinance is written as "you shall not possess a drone on city park property" then I would agree that they have that right to limit what they are considering "contraband" inside the public park. If it states "you shall not launch or recover a drone from city park property, I would think that there is enough wiggle room in the ordanance to rate a pass on the ticket or summons. Then the city counsel would need to change the wording of the ordinance to encompass the aircraft carrier vehicle exception. Lots of Cities have no smoking in the public park ordinances, but that does not stop anyone from smoking in their car as they are driving through the area. You have to remember that things are different now, wording is everything in how a statute is written. Nothing would stop you from going to Joe Blows house across the street, parking in his driveway and flying over the park and filming to your hearts content. As long as Joe Blow consents to your use of his property as a launch and recovery area. Our city banned melons in the park. I can assure you many a melon was consumed in the park under the direct witness of the officers without arrest.
Miami Dade parks and recreation excerpt

Rule 12. Aircraft

(a)

No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus (excluding kites) will take off from or land in or on any park land or waterway, except when human life is endangered or written permission has been obtained from the Department Director. Take off from and landing in any natural resource area, and the environmentally sensitive Deering Estate at Cutler is specifically prohibited except when human life is endangered.

You replying to me? After 32 years as a cop I understand the difference between private and public. He can launch his drone from outside the park. The whole truck thing is what didn't make sense, launching from a truck bed inside the park would still be a violation. The truck is not "sanctuary."

You replying to me? After 32 years as a cop I understand the difference between private and public. He can launch his drone from outside the park. The whole truck thing is what didn't make sense, launching from a truck bed inside the park would still be a violation. The truck is not "sanctuary."
I think he was replying to me, and there is a post by me clearly stating "park legally near where you wish to film but offsite".

Miami Dade parks and recreation excerpt

Rule 12. Aircraft

(a)

No person operating, directing, or responsible for any airplane, helicopter, glider, balloon, dirigible, parachute or other aerial apparatus (excluding kites) will take off from or land in or on any park land or waterway, except when human life is endangered or written permission has been obtained from the Department Director. Take off from and landing in any natural resource area, and the environmentally sensitive Deering Estate at Cutler is specifically prohibited except when human life is endangered.

IMO, If your vehicle is on private property then regardless of the fact you are taking off or landing from personal property (your truck), the fact remains, you and your personal property are still on private property which restricts such activity. : )
In so far as public property, if there are signs posted in accordance with your local ordinances prohibiting specific activity, then you are at the mercy of the law enforcement authorities, and judicial courts, why press your luck!

Last edited:

How is this still being discussed?! If there is a place to park a truck whereby you could takeoff from the truck legally, then you could simply take off from the truck sized piece of land as well. Adding a truck does nothing to further your permission or the legality of takeoff and landing.

IMO, If your vehicle is on private property then regardless of the fact you are taking off or landing from personal property (your truck), the fact remains, you and your personal property are still on private property which restricts such activity. : )
In so far as public property, if there are signs posted in accordance with your local ordinances prohibiting specific activity, then you are at the mercy of the law enforcement authorities, and judicial courts, why press your luck!
Municipal parking adjacent to the park isn't private property, as long as the meter is fed, takeoff/landing and operating from a vehicle like an open truck bed may work while obviously those same events would garner a violation if carried out on a sidewalk. A shopping mall would be private property and very likely you would be asked to leave if you're not actively patronizing the businesses.

How is this still being discussed?! If there is a place to park a truck whereby you could takeoff from the truck legally, then you could simply take off from the truck sized piece of land as well. Adding a truck does nothing to further your permission or the legality of takeoff and landing.
You do realize you have no obligation to respond if you don't find a post relevant or simply don't grasp the concept!

Reactions: DJI_Ryan_408

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido