Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Class B airspace SFC-100 Beyond 5SM..

I used to forecast the weather for the Air Force, then the NWS, then I contracted in the Middle East. I was in aviation weather forecasting for 10 years. We forecasted within a 5 mile radius around the airfield and that was measured from the center point of the runway.

Now most civilian runways have more than 1... so I would venture an educated guess it would be from the center of the airport property itself. That's how Im interpreting it. :)

Appreciate the responses everyone! Good discussion here.

Hello Eliphion. The lat/long coordinates of a US airport's reference point may also be looked up on this website: AirNav: Airport Information

Reactions: Droneyboy
I also work around charlotte, NC. There are several heli pads plus the international airport. The times I've been asked and begged to do jobs just barely outside the class b I still can't fly due to the numerous heli pads and the lack of luck trying to contact them. Seems like we should have allowances like +/- 50' above the tallest structure even within class B when you're not directly under the app/dep routes. Just my opinion, heli or not, it would be unreasonable for manned aircraft to deliberately fly within a certain distance from structures. But I'm open minded, so let me have it if you there are good reasons why we shouldn't be allowed to fly at low levels in most airspaces.

I know it would cost money, but there needs to be a better way for drone operators to communicate with all heli pads and controllers. Maybe a regional operator or system to automate the task of notifying and initiating communications. But I dream alot, so i'm never going to expect anything to be convenient lol

I also work around charlotte, NC. There are several heli pads plus the international airport. The times I've been asked and begged to do jobs just barely outside the class b I still can't fly due to the numerous heli pads and the lack of luck trying to contact them. Seems like we should have allowances like +/- 50' above the tallest structure even within class B when you're not directly under the app/dep routes. Just my opinion, heli or not, it would be unreasonable for manned aircraft to deliberately fly within a certain distance from structures. But I'm open minded, so let me have it if you there are good reasons why we shouldn't be allowed to fly at low levels in most airspaces.

I know it would cost money, but there needs to be a better way for drone operators to communicate with all heli pads and controllers. Maybe a regional operator or system to automate the task of notifying and initiating communications. But I dream alot, so i'm never going to expect anything to be convenient lol

The FAA is in fact working on a central clearinghouse for Class B,C,D and E clearances, by working with the airports to identify critical low-level altitude zones such as those on terrain-clearing IFR glidepath approaches, so if you're a Part 107 flyer, HOPEFULLY this will get less restrictive as the VFR charts are more "measure twice, cut ten times" in terms of airspace restrictions -- better to be safe than sorry is the order of the day. In fact, if you call a Bravo or Charlie airport ATC as a drone flyer, the FAA has instructed them to send you to the FAA website to apply for clearance/authorization as of October (if you're Part 107). If you're Part 101, you don't need to be an AMA member per se, just follow their code of conduct and safety -- but then it starts to get really nebulous about ATC/airport manager contact within 5 NM. And THEN you have to contend with DJI's NFZ bull****, even if you HAVE a COA/waiver/authorization or ATC clearance under Part 101 or 107. It's currently more of a mess for Part 101 folks, however.

I believe this question goes in this particular forum.. :)

I live outside Charlotte, NC. Charlotte's Class B airspace goes out 7NM, SFC-100. The way I am reading the rules is if I fly recreationally I dont have't to notify the tower unless Im within 5SM of the airfield. But flying within 7NM (or 8SM) of the airfield, Im in Class B SFC-100.

I think the correct thing to do even as a recreational flyer would be to notify the tower if Im outside 5SM but within 8SM.

What do you all believe?

If you are flying your Drone recreationally, you can fly inside Class B airspace but must keep 5 miles out from the center of the airport as described in the sectionals, even if you hold a Part 107 Certificate.
If you as a hobbyist, inform ATC or the Airport Operator of your plans to fly your Model Aircraft inside the 5 miles, you can then fly inside Class B, C, D and E.
Of course ATC in Class B, C and D (the bigger airports) are not going to be too happy if you fly near their approach or departure areas. For Class E airports without a tower, just go in and tell them where you will be or leave a note!
If you are flying commercially under Part 107, then you must comply with Airspace requirements on class B, C, D and requests ATC approvals.
So, as long as you are not getting paid, you are a hobbyist and not using your Part 107 Certificate, you have little regulations.

Last edited:
For recreational flyers the B4UFLY app will show you if you are within 5 SM of any airport. The larger problem is there are airports/heliports everywhere and many you will not be able to contact. If you do not or can not contact them you can not fly.

Keep in mind that part 101 (recreational flyers) was written by congress to protect model airplane flying fields NOT drones who want to fly with little or no notice to airports.

A recreational drone flyer has much more in common with Part 107 than Part 101. The frustration we are seeing with recreational drone flyers is that they are trying to put a round plug in a square hole and they are finding it does not fit very well.

With all due respect, I am not sure what Part 101 has to do with any of this! Part 101 are not recreational flyers and it was not written by congress to protect model airplane flying fields. Part 101 affects: "MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, UNMANNED ROCKETS AND UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS"

Part 101 does not have anything to do with Remote Control Model Aircraft, the AMA or Drones. It only provides some recommendations such as providing prior notice to ATC or Airport Operator if flying a model Aircraft with in 5 miles of an airport. (It does not say that you must get permission)

Remote Controlled Model Aircraft and Drones used for hobby only, are not under any part of the FAA regulations that I am aware off.
If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

Last edited:
The FAA is in fact working on a central clearinghouse for Class B,C,D and E clearances, by working with the airports to identify critical low-level altitude zones such as those on terrain-clearing IFR glidepath approaches, so if you're a Part 107 flyer, HOPEFULLY this will get less restrictive as the VFR charts are more "measure twice, cut ten times" in terms of airspace restrictions -- better to be safe than sorry is the order of the day. In fact, if you call a Bravo or Charlie airport ATC as a drone flyer, the FAA has instructed them to send you to the FAA website to apply for clearance/authorization as of October (if you're Part 107). If you're Part 101, you don't need to be an AMA member per se, just follow their code of conduct and safety -- but then it starts to get really nebulous about ATC/airport manager contact within 5 NM. And THEN you have to contend with DJI's NFZ bull****, even if you HAVE a COA/waiver/authorization or ATC clearance under Part 101 or 107. It's currently more of a mess for Part 101 folks, however.

I am just trying to clarify this Part 101 issue so other people don't get misinformed.
Part 101 does not have anything to do with Remote Control Model Aircraft, the AMA or Drones. It only provides some recommendations such as providing prior notice to ATC or Airport Operator if flying a model Aircraft with in 5 miles of an airport. (It does not say that you must get permission)
Part 101 affects: "Moored Balloons, Kites, Unmanned. Rockets and Unmanned Free Balloons" (and some times parasailers tethered to a boat...)
The AMA has no authority over anybody or anything related to Remote Control Model Aircraft or the National Airspace unless you are flying over an AMA sanctioned field.
The FAA has no authority over Remote Control Aircraft used for hobby purposes. The FAA has guidelines and sometimes local, state and National Parks may have restrictions or rules.
ATC can issue a waiver to a Part 107 Pilot, but not an ATC Clearance.
There are no Part 101 Pilots.

With all due respect, I am not sure what Part 101 has to do with any of this! Part 101 are not recreational flyers and it was not written by congress to protect model airplane flying fields. Part 101 affects: "MOORED BALLOONS, KITES, UNMANNED ROCKETS AND UNMANNED FREE BALLOONS"

Remote Controlled Model Aircraft and Drones used for hobby only, are not under any part of the FAA regulations that I am aware off.
If I am wrong, please enlighten me.

14 CFR Part 101 Subpart E - Special Rule for Model Aircraft
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

It's new as of late August.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool