Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Comercial Airlines and drones?????

Reaction score
I have an Inspire#1 with 4 batteries and a great new travel case for the whole entire set up! Does anyone know what is required to fly inside the continental US. I am mainly speaking on the batteries because I do know there are some restrictions on batteries but not sure what they may be. I am sure I am not the first person that will take my Inspire / drone on a flight. Any help insight would be great.

TB47 batteries are acceptable on aircraft but l'm told TB48 batteries are not since the Paris attack! Being a more powerful battrey.
Check with the airline first is prudent.
Just checked with virgin and TB47 and TB48s are ok to fly with.

One battery installed in the aircraft is okay, I've never seen or heard of a rule that addressed the particular model battery. The additional batteries should be carried as a carry-on. If at the gate the airline says they have run out of overhead bin space and insists on checking your bag to the final destination, insists that you bag is not authorized because of the additional batteries and they should help you find a place for them. The flight attendants and gate agents should be helpful. They do make a pelican case for batteries.

FYI the rules are often airline specific despite what the FAA says. Many times the FAA makes recommendations and the airline impose their rules.

I fly both drones and airlines.

One battery installed in the aircraft is okay, I've never seen or heard of a rule that addressed the particular model battery. The additional batteries should be carried as a carry-on. If at the gate the airline says they have run out of overhead bin space and insists on checking your bag to the final destination, insists that you bag is not authorized because of the additional batteries and they should help you find a place for them. The flight attendants and gate agents should be helpful. They do make a pelican case for batteries.

FYI the rules are often airline specific despite what the FAA says. Many times the FAA makes recommendations and the airline impose their rules.

I fly both drones and airlines.
The reason of battery model differentiation is because the TB48 is over 100Wh and therefore has different carriage restrictions than the TB47 which are unrestricted.
Of course the airlines/TSA are not concerned with model numbers per se but the actual Wh/lithium content within the packs - this is easily identifiable by the model number.

TB48 batteries are okay for flight. I'm not currently aware of any US air carrier that has a "No Fly" battery list, unless the battery has already been classified as Hazardous Goods. They are allowed because they are not restricted.

Straight from the FAA site:
Size limits: Lithium metal (non-rechargeable) batteries are limited to 2 grams of lithium per battery. Lithium ion (rechargeable) batteries are limited to a rating of 100 watt hours (Wh) per battery. These limits allow for nearly all types of lithium batteries used by the average person in their electronic devices. With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment.

To be entirely accurate, company policy is up to two 160Wh batteries, no limit on 100Wh batteries.

So to answer the original thread, just carry them on, preferable in a case.

OK.....well that's exactly what I said!
The TB48's fall into the category of 100Wh or greater and therefore different restrictions apply. ie - you will only be allowed two of them as carry on (per person)!
TB47 can be carried freely in any number - not so 48's

What did I say that contradicted that comment?

To be entirely accurate, company policy is up to two 160Wh batteries, no limit on 100Wh batteries.

So to answer the original thread, just carry them on, preferable in a case.
To be entirely accurate it is FAA regulations not company policy you stated. I can not imagine this differing from airline to airline, unless it is some sort of typo in the company policy.

Dave,

Please pardon any confusion. My previous quote was "straight from the FAA website" was a quote. My comment about company policy was exactly that, and I have included it below. The takeaway is that the FAA says "With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours)" so not all airlines may allow TB-48.

My Air Lines Company Policy:
"Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed."

On a side note with respect (The Editor), that is not exactly what you said. For one, you neither made reference to the 101-160Wh limitation nor the 2 Battery limit of such power. Your statement lacked specificity, that I further clarified. Which by way you recently question me on regarding a different thread. The goal is accurate information, not debating over who said what first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhillisSpa