Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Commercial Business Using My Youtube Videos

All sorted.

It was someone who worked for one of my clients.

I deal with them.

The client couldnt run the video on their website. Until it got resolved the clients employee put it on their own website which linked from the employee to the clients website.

If the above makes sense!!

Outcome is employee will now take it off his website as they have found away round their "technical" issues on the clients website.

On a side note I use software to dedect inauthorised use of my photographs. Anyone got something similar for detecting unauthorised video use?

Thanks for all help
I often get Warner Bros or Universal come back at me for commercials and videos I upload. They must scan the net as they have asked me many times to explain how I am using music etc that is copyright. I simply send them the receipts I have for the purchase of the music and never hear more about it. I wouldn't dream of uploading copyrighted music or anything.

Yep

Get you on the copyright score.

Until you get into this game it doesnt really register especially if you are of a BC age(BC=before computers!!)

However when you bust your balls with blood sweat and tears and someone jumps in and to use your product on the sly it hrates big time!!

I often get Warner Bros or Universal come back at me for commercials and videos I upload. They must scan the net as they have asked me many times to explain how I am using music etc that is copyright. I simply send them the receipts I have for the purchase of the music and never hear more about it. I wouldn't dream of uploading copyrighted music or anything.

Dennis, exactly how do you purchase music to be used with your videos? I have purchased non-copyrighted music, but it would be more exciting to use popular songs, but I am clueless as to how one would do this.

I had done a video that featured my wife and our dog that originally included her favorite song. Once I uploaded it to Facebook they immediately rejected it. I had to change the music to her disappointment. I had purchased her song in iTunes , but I assume that did not give me the right to use the song in my video. Is this incorrect?

Last edited:
Dennis, exactly how do you purchase music to be used with your videos? I have purchased non-copyrighted music, but it would be more exciting to use popular songs, but I am clueless as to how one would do this.

I had done a video that featured my wife and our dog that originally included her favorite song. Once I uploaded it to Facebook they immediately rejected it. I had to change the music to her disappointment. I had purchased her song in iTunes , but I assume that did not give me the right to use the song in my video. Is this incorrect?
Yes Dave,
When I say commercial produced music, I mean music for commercial use only and you cant use popular songs or music at all in any form. I have had to get a song for a client and the cost to use the song was $20,000 for 3 months. This did not mean we could use the song. We had to record it ourselves and as Im in a band and have done some recording then it was ok. If we had used the original song it would have cost us $90,000 from Warner Bros. Those that do this pay a lot of money. This by the way was for a 60 second piece from the song. After the 3 months we had to pay again. The charge for ongoing was far more than the original 20k. The music I use in my tv commercials and videos is bought and paid for. It really is fair enough. the artist wrote the song and if a client wants to use that song to make lots of money then its right they should pay. I have a song on iTunes now and everytime someone downloads it from a purchase, I get a fee. The song has a code embedded in the music by the producer and naturally the companies scan to track where their products are. Everytime someone pays $2.50 for a download, the band gets $1.72. These people track everything so if you do use a popular song, you will get deleted or asked to prove you have the rights to play it. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: lake_flyer
Only upload in 720, for most people this is more than enough to see the quality of your work and it at least offers some protection in someone getting the best representation of you work.

The simple answer is, if you upload anything to do the web, a certain % of people will pinch it and use it.

You just have to hope the people taking it are small time enough for you to NOT to be losing any kind of revenue.

Be smart, and use them back, use it on your PR.... XYZ has used my work for a recent promo video.
That can be a currency of success you can use to impress potential clients to show you're being published in some way.

Or, if you're like me, be vindictive and leave them a load of bad reviews.
The gloves are off!

Last edited:
Only upload in 720, for most people this is more than enough to see the quality of your work and it at least offers some protection in someone getting the best representation of you work.

The simple answer is, if you upload anything to do the web, a certain % of people will pinch it and use it.

You just have to hope the people taking it are small time enough for you to NOT to be losing any kind of revenue.

Be smart, and use them back, use it on your PR.... XYZ has used my work for a recent promo video.
That can be a currency of success you can use to impress potential clients to show you're being published in some way.

Or, if you're like me, be vindictive and leave them a load of bad reviews.
The gloves are off!
Why not just put a watermark over your footage?

Why not just put a watermark over your footage?

Its not that hard to remove and the more aggressive you are with it, the more you distract viewers.
I have actually resorted to using match moving techniques to embed my logos into the video, so it looks like they are part of the scene, then you can just map the logo/text onto a side of a building or truck etc and it looks like it was meant to be there, but if you need proof of ownership, its there.

Or choose frame X to display a hard to see watermark, so if you need to prove its yours, its there and it will show up in 'their' work.
By which time, you can crucify them if they start to get any positive PR from your work.

Nothing would scare me more than stealing a drone video from someone, slapping my logo over it and putting it online a month after its already been up elsewhere and watching all comments archived for the rest of time exposing me.

Someone who steals your videos are not going to get anywhere.

Its not that hard to remove and the more aggressive you are with it, the more you distract viewers.
I have actually resorted to using match moving techniques to embed my logos into the video, so it looks like they are part of the scene, then you can just map the logo/text onto a side of a building or truck etc and it looks like it was meant to be there, but if you need proof of ownership, its there.

Or choose frame X to display a hard to see watermark, so if you need to prove its yours, its there and it will show up in 'their' work.
By which time, you can crucify them if they start to get any positive PR from your work.

Nothing would scare me more than stealing a drone video from someone, slapping my logo over it and putting it online a month after its already been up elsewhere and watching all comments archived for the rest of time exposing me.

Someone who steals your videos are not going to get anywhere.
I guess its not really a problem to me so much as most of my work is tv commercials and theres just a second or 2 that has vision they can use. Most of the vision has text or logos as you say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido