Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Compass Calibration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PressMan, Apr 13, 2016.

1. PressMan

Quote-Editor:
    'Compass Calibration does not need to be done each flight either.'

So I can be perfectly/confident & my thinking is correct on this matter.
    As I have been going to the one location often does that mean I don't need to Compass Calibrate my I1 on each occasion at that spot please.

Thank you in anticipation.

2. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

You don't have to compass calibrate even if you go to a different spot!
    Just make sure your mod values are between 1400-1600 before take off and you're good to go.
    I have gone months and travelled hundreds of miles and never needed to calibrate.
    So long as you have a good calibration then there is no need to keep dancing!
    DJI have got it very wrong with their 'compass calibrate everytime you move 3 inches' instructions.

3. Crashnot

A controversial subject.
    DJI still says to calibrate at every new location.
    I follow the advice offered in this forum: " If the compass numbers
    are between 1400 - 1600 your good. "
    I've flown at locations 800 miles (1300 kilometers) apart w/o a compass recalibration, the Inspire flew perfectly. I've also found that doing a compass calibration inside the house and moving outside gave bad numbers and a recalibration was required. Probably the wood stove messed up the indoor calibration.

The Editor likes this.
  4. InspireBart

Just picked up my Inspire 1 v2, looks like the manual now says to "Only calibrate the compass when the DJI GO app or the status indicator prompt (sic) you to do so". (Quick Start Guide V2.2) Weird they say "only" which indicates to me to not even do it as a "safety" precaution for my new bird...

5. lake_flyer

Problem is that GO tells me, every time I start it up, to calibrate. I just ignore that and decide for myself, if and when I choose to calibrate. Never had a problem.

6. InspireBart

While reading the actual Inspire 1 User Manual v2.0_20160719 and it says under "Calibrating the Compass"; "IMPORTANT: Make sure to calibrate the compass in every new flight location".

Looks like the manual is dated July 07, 2016

Reckon' I'll do what I do with my other birds. Calibrate when new, calibrate periodically if I don't go too far, and calibrate when I go distances greater than 200 miles...