Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass error in flight over lake

Reaction score
Twice now, in different parts of the lake I fly over a lot, I've suddenly had a warning come up saying compass error and then it's automatically switched to ATTI mode.

Weirdly it was a different part of the lake each time, but then it didn't do it again at those same places on any other flight.

This is a relatively small man made lake with nothing under the surface except what was once a grassy area I walked the dog on years ago. So there's no sunken city or ships under there.

Being big open grassy fields around the shore, it's normally what I would consider a safe place to do the compass calibration, so a few weeks ago when it said it wanted a calibration I did one there without any metal on me. So it should have been ok.
I generally only do calibrations when asked to. So I don't think I've done one elsewhere during the period in which the errors occurred.

Gotta say the heart sure skips a beat when you suddenly get a mid-flight error message!
Many more of them and I'm going to need a heart transplant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has happened to me as well. Over parts of the Delaware River in Philadelphia.

Twice now, in different parts of the lake I fly over a lot, I've suddenly had a warning come up saying compass error and then it's automatically switched to ATTI mode.

Weirdly it was a different part of the lake each time, but then it didn't do it again at those same places on any other flight.

This is a relatively small man made lake with nothing under the surface except what was once a grassy area I walked the dog on years ago. So there's no sunken city or ships under there.

Being big open grassy fields around the shore, it's normally what I would consider a safe place to do the compass calibration, so a few weeks ago when it said it wanted a calibration I did one there without any metal on me. So it should have been ok.
I generally only do calibrations when asked to. So I don't think I've done one elsewhere during the period in which the errors occurred.

Gotta say the heart sure skips a beat when you suddenly get a mid-flight error message!
Many more of them and I'm going to need a heart transplant.

I'm thinking underground alien bases!

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Likely unrelated to the lake or location. People speculate that solar activity can affect the inspires systems and that you shouldn't fly when the kp index is so high. I've noticed this random behavior with no apparent cause also, however I've not tracked the kp index when it occurs so I can't say if that's the cause or something else. At any rate it's only lasted a few seconds for me when it does occur and doesn't appear to actually affect flight. Recommend you become proficient in atti mode and switch to it manually if condition persists or appears to cause erratic flight. Compass errors cause crashes in gps mode and switching to atti could save you from a crash

Yep. Both lasted only seconds.
I'm quite confident in ATTI so no real worry to me. I actually like ATTI anyway, it's faster [emoji48]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44