Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Congratulations DJI you just killed the Phantom!!

Is the Mavic a Phantom Killer

• Yes it has killed it

Votes: 54 56.8%
  • No - The phantom is still alive and well

Votes: 41 43.2%

• Total voters
I think it's mainly meant as Gopro Karma killer.
And for the Phantom line the shape of things to come.
I want one.
Yes you are right specially with DJI customer service ( I mean two-tier customer service "before they get your money and after they have your money" )

Reactions: FlyingPhotosKR
Remember, the Karma a) fits into the rest of GoPro's extensive collection of mounts and brackets and so on and b) comes with both a detachable camera and a detachable Osmo equivalent, for the same price as a Mavic (roughly). I think GoPro will still be successful with the Karma but at this point it's probably going to sell better to people who already live in the GoPro ecosystem rather than steal customers from DJI.

I won't be ditching my P3P (for one thing, I don't want to go through the hassle of transferring ownership of a N-numbered Phantom) but I am really looking forward to seeing reviews of the Mavic and possibly adding one to complement the P3P.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm thinking I want one!!!
Yep, I thought about it for about 2 seconds. Boom, the credit card was done!! At that price,(it sounds flippant) its a no brainer. I can think of 3 jobs i could do tomorrow with the Mavic, that the inspire can't, and its paid for.
Buy Mavic Pro

Last edited by a moderator:
And everyone wondered why the UK voted to leave Europe.

Actually in my Northern European country the VAT is 25 percent, plus about 3-5 percent custom duty for electronics if i don´t remember wrong about the custom duty part.

But do you really mean that import taxes is 0 percent in the states? That sounds too good to be true.

I thought a pocket drone would be cheaper than what the Mawic costs, even though it comes from DJI. I think many ordinary people that hasn´t a big interest for drones generally but wants the Mawic as a first drone to get some nice photos and vids are not totally prepared to pay around 1345 USD for the Mawic which is the approximate price in the rest of the world except in the US. Drone enthusiasts on the other hand would be willing to pay that amount without much hesitation.
But i´m sure it will sell very good either way.

Last edited:
It's amusing to watch the hordes rush off to pre-order yet another DJI product purely on the basis of a press launch and some marketing materials.

Clearly the history of borked App and Firmware versions, poor quality support and slipping ship dates that have marked DJI's launches for the past couple of years has faded from memory?

I like the look of it and will probably pick one up too, but not until a good 6 months after it actually becomes, you know, available? Maybe then it will have firmware that has a chance of working.

Don't know what it is, but DJI's particular blend of Kool-Aid is powerful stuff.

It's amusing to watch the hordes rush off to pre-order yet another DJI product purely on the basis of a press launch and some marketing materials.

Clearly the history of borked App and Firmware versions, poor quality support and slipping ship dates that have marked DJI's launches for the past couple of years has faded from memory?

I like the look of it and will probably pick one up too, but not until a good 6 months after it actually becomes, you know, available? Maybe then it will have firmware that has a chance of working.

Don't know what it is, but DJI's particular blend of Kool-Aid is powerful stuff.

Thats exactly one of the reasons i don´t pre-order stuff and pay for items that i have to wait for and then maybe the shipping date changes several times, and i get a drone with a problematic firmware.
I like to wait a little bit, not 6 month but a month or so.
The reason i could think of to pre-order would be to get the drone earlier than it gets in stock in the stores, but i think as soon as DJI starts to ship to customers who has pre-ordered the Mawic it doesn´t take long before its availible in the stores as well?

So when is it going to ship?

I wonder if it will be three months before you can buy a spare battery.

Brian

So when is it going to ship?

I wonder if it will be three months before you can buy a spare battery.

Brian

DJI says "starts shipping mid October" on their web store. But who knows that date can be changed?

Last edited:
I sense your credit card starting to get warm....... even of its just for the landing accuracy of 1 inch from where it takes off...... yup, one inch!

<Click> add to basket..... :p
ADDED!! ;)

I love the Inspire but so many opportunities missed.... I cycle and go off route so much that humping an inspire and kit is unrealistic, now 'bosh!' Mavic and batteries in hand luggage...

It's maybe a bit early to say, but a lot of the video I see coming from the Mavic Pro is soft, no, I mean REAL SOFT. Hopefully the early video was shot by folks that haven't learned how best to shoot it but so far I'm big time underwhelmed! If what I'm seeing is representative of what we should expect then it doesn't matter how convenient this new drone is the video is, in my view, unusable!

Brian

It's maybe a bit early to say, but a lot of the video I see coming from the Mavic Pro is soft, no, I mean REAL SOFT. Hopefully the early video was shot by folks that haven't learned how best to shoot it but so far I'm big time underwhelmed! If what I'm seeing is representative of what we should expect then it doesn't matter how convenient this new drone is the video is, in my view, unusable!

Brian
No, the idiots who have been given these to try/test have not grabbed the concept that the lens on the Mavic must actually be focussed (similar to the X5(R)).
They have simply gone "Wheeee, look how great these are" without actually taking the time to understand the platform.
They are PooTube hero's with no brains.
Better (and focussed) videos will emerge soon from individuals who can actually use the UAV!

Hope that helps....

Reactions: Kilrah and Ikopta
ok Wet day today, no flying, though would do this..
Couple of points......

The 1km range on the GoPro is software limited - it would actually fly further but GoPro have knobbled it at 1km distance like a GeoFence.
The 4500m GoPro altitude GoPro claim is an operational ceiling for air density. So for example, you can hike 4,500m up a mountain and still take off with that thinness of air but above that it will struggle to maintain lift.

The 7.2km distance on the Mavic is only for FCC models.
European models will be pegged at 20dbm/100mW output and so their range will be reduced.
The Mavic also has redundant systems on board in the form of multiple IMU's and compass modules - far more reliable than the GoPro.
Finally, the landing/RTH accuracy on the Mavic is unbelievable simply because as it takes off it caches multiple photos of its surroundings (stereoscopically)
When it returns to home it uses GPS/Glonass to get close but then it uses its cached images to overlay over its live feed. Using this tech means it's landing accuracy can be as good as 1" from where it took off from - yup ONE INCH!!!

Oh yes.....and I can't count either - I said a couple of points and that was five! :p

No, the idiots who have been given these to try/test have not grabbed the concept that the lens on the Mavic must actually be focussed (similar to the X5(R)).
They have simply gone "Wheeee, look how great these are" without actually taking the time to understand the platform.
Better (and focussed) videos will emerge soon from individuals who can actually use the UAV!

Hope that helps....

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Reactions: Ikopta

Hope that helps....

Yeah, it would be hard to see even DJI push something out that was that bad. So, I'll withhold judgement as we wait for more capable testers to put the Mavic Pro through its paces.

Kind of tells you something about the type of person that gets invited to test/play with these on release day.

As I now understand it, the sensor in the Mavic Pro is the same as the Phantom 4 or, perhaps, just the same size -- still not clear on that.

A real 20 minute plus flight time and the ultra portability are very tempting. And, the batteries are more reasonably priced at about $85USD per versus nearly $200USD for a TB48.

Brian

Reactions: UAV Man

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joe123