Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Control Tower

Reaction score
Website
kdactionphoto.smugmug.com
We were asked to image a new Fichte, Elmer Eye Center in Niagara Falls. It is close to NF Airport. I called the control tower and had a very positive response from the manager of the Tower. GPS coordinates before the flight and they will relay back an altitude to stay under. He way very enthused we called because they have people who demand permission or get none at all according to him. My only concern is the DJI software limits on the location which I have to map to find my radius. He did mention that there airport now has a 5 mile radius NO FLY zone. Anyone ever ask DJI for a one time release on the software limits?

I recall reading that this was a little known policy for their 'professional airframes'.

I've never heard of DJI removing a NFZ for anyone before. I don't think they'll ever do it. The amount of red tape you have to hack through to fly legally in some places is getting extreme. I still think it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

I've never heard of DJI removing a NFZ for anyone before. I don't think they'll ever do it. The amount of red tape you have to hack through to fly legally in some places is getting extreme. I still think it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

I agree. They just changed the no fly zone around our local airports. The DJI NFZ is no considered obsolete with the radius they show for category B airports. It is now a 5 mile radius. I just contacted the control tower for a closer flight we are supposed to do.

They have announced they'd provide a service for that in the future, but who knows when.

Correct - this is a service that was offered for certified operators only.
An interim measure was introduced for temporary lift of NFZ's a while ago but has been very unsuccessful.
A full web portal type request and grant procedure is supposed to be coming but who knows when that will be (if ever)
Additionally, if it is granted it will only be for individuals who can supply commercial operating documentation.

What an absolute pile of horse excrement!
The NFZ is great for stopping n00b little idiots, but completely renders the Inspire useless for any work in an NFZ. In my opinion it is just a rouse by DJI to stop pro's using the inspire. I suspect that it has proven to be a more valuable tool fro the pro user than they had suspected and thus has negatively affected sales of other systems.

The kind of people who need DJI to help them not fly in dangerous places are more than likely the kind of people who, if they had a message pop up on the screen warning them, would heed it.

People who want to fly in NFZ's for other reasons would simply get some other craft or use foil tape. So really the NFZ's only serve two purposes.
1) piss off people with permission to fly in an NFZ
2) force people who willingly put aircraft at risk to do so with another craft or a tinfoil hat.

Having to constantly rely on DJI to not bugger up the system with a firmware release or make it non useable through other means is not professional.
It is honestly a shame that the I1 makes such a good entry level video and that there arent any other systems that top it yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan