Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cooling down my IPad Air 2

Reaction score
Hello all,
It's been hot here in MD (85-90 degrees). Last 2 days my IPad overheated. Any suggestions that would attach to the back to cool it down?
Thanks in advance,
Marc

Take it back to Apple, I am in South Florida and that is pretty much the daily temperature and I haven't had any issues, I have three iPad Air 2's.

Hello all,
It's been hot here in MD (85-90 degrees). Last 2 days my IPad overheated. Any suggestions that would attach to the back to cool it down?
Thanks in advance,
Marc
Do you have Hardware Decode enabled or disabled in the app?

Hello all,
Thanks in advance,
Marc
What hood are you using? Is your Ipad in a case? I have not had an issue, yet....
Are you standing in the sun?

steve t

I have had the same thing happen to me today, and last week. I think the max operating temp is 103. It was 95 with no wind today when it shut down. I may use my PadHat to see if that will deflect the sun off the face.

A hood will help (to a point), for two reasons. First, obviously keeps the sun from pounding on it, and second, the screen doesn't need to be as bright. I can't fly without one here in Las Vegas...

I
A hood will help (to a point), for two reasons. First, obviously keeps the sun from pounding on it, and second, the screen doesn't need to be as bright. I can't fly without one here in Las Vegas...
I had a hoodman on it. The back of the iPad was sizzling. I think the processor was working double time.

That is a new "feature" of the Air 2 (this is where dji gets it) - eyeroll
It was 93 today in the Midwest, my Air 1 was barely warm.
(my pos tb48's were hotter than cocks though, even when 75, with very docile flying - grrrr)

Last edited:
I refer back to my post #3 above, do you have Hardware Decode enabled or not?
This will make a big difference how hard the processor is pushed and thus the amount of internal heat produced.

I refer back to my post #3 above, do you have Hardware Decode enabled or not?
This will make a big difference how hard the processor is pushed and thus the amount internal heat produced.
Could you explain a little further. I have never heard of this feature on the iPad.
I am very interested in removing this problem.

Could you explain a little further. I have never heard of this feature on the iPad.
I am very interested in removing this problem.
It is not an iPad 'feature' it is a setting within the DJI Go App that allows either the hardware within the iPad (less processor intensive) or the software (more processor intensive) to render the video feed. Obviously by limiting the amount of work the iPad processor has to do means it runs cooler.

It is not an iPad 'feature' it is a setting within the DJI Go App that allows either the hardware within the iPad (less processor intensive) or the software (more processor intensive) to render the video feed. Obviously by limiting the amount of work the iPad processor has to do means it runs cooler.
Thanks a million for that, I'll check it out on my next flight and report to you all. Arizona is a particular appropriate test ground, wouldn't you say?

Any tablet or smartphone tends to get warmer when mapping or streaming. They may also get warmer in general operation (the chip is always producing heat) due to high ambient or when using a heavy cover. Charging may also add to the heat generation. See our website if you want to see what happens when they get too hot! Www.PlaneGard.com. We market PlaneGard to the corporate business jet crowd to protect the passengers and crew in the event someone's device becomes too warm. Be aware. These devices force an emergency landing of commercial airliners about 2x per month. Our website has a list of documented incidents on land and in the air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin