Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Copyright End Usage

Social media cat amongst the pigeons - N.B. When material inc. images/footage is posted on certain social media, FB included, latter have all rights of usage in it unless its removed. But if it's shared, removal by the account originator won't extend to the shares.. It's in their t's & c's for having an account. If the account holder didn't have permission to post the material on the social media in the first place, I imagine there may be recourse to remove it and the possibility of its further use. But if it did, technically, the SM can do anything they want with it.

Social media cat amongst the pigeons - N.B. When material inc. images/footage is posted on certain social media, FB included, latter have all rights of usage in it unless its removed. But if it's shared, removal by the account originator won't extend to the shares.. It's in their t's & c's for having an account. If the account holder didn't have permission to post the material on the social media in the first place, I imagine there may be recourse to remove it and the possibility of its further use. But if it did, technically, the SM can do anything they want with it.
Its a good point I never thought of. I always put my watermark on it anyhow but Im happy for the client to put my work up. I just don't allow the client the footage so they can edit themselves. Its my footage. My talent. I get paid to produce a commercial etc, not to give them footage. I don't do any filming unless I get the edit. Im not a cameraman for hire.

Thats up to you but I don't film if I don't get the edit. I just don't do it. Im an editor first. Thats how I make my money. The filming is just to give me footage to edit with. Theres no way Im going to use my camera skills and lens which give me a point of difference to give to other people.
This discussion has become circular. The bottom line is the contract and the rights the photographer is selling. What is ok with one videographer may not be acceptable to another. I give the customer whatever final product they are paying for.

Reactions: tweaker
This discussion has become circular. The bottom line is the contract and the rights the photographer is selling. What is ok with one videographer may not be acceptable to another. I give the customer whatever final product they are paying for.
I agree. I dont sell it or give the footage to the client. I dont even show the client the footage. I have been asked a few times to shoot only and they want to give the footage to someone else to edit, and I say I don't do that. I shoot and I edit.

Don't do much video professionally, but I'm happy to photograph 'an event' and hand over all rights (basically sell the CF card) for the right price. TBF, there are some guys out there better than me at PP, but I can get the shots.

Hi All,

As a recent addition to the ranks of certified pilots, I’d like to say that this has been a very informative post and I’ve learnt a great deal from it, so thanks to all contributors.

I’ve still got some way to go before I’m ready to advertise for work but what I’ve gleaned with regard to this post is that clients will want different things; raw imagery and the finished article.

Some clients will see us as tools for hire to get the aerial images they need, whilst others won’t have the facilities to get a professional looking product, so will want us to get the images and process them, delivering a commercially viable end product (for use in any number of outlets; website promotion, social media, stock library etc.).

My interpretation of this post is that we need to protect our work as far as possible whilst not restricting our business opportunities, and to that end, we will need a variety of licence agreements and pricing models.

I’m struggling to put together a pricing model and would appreciate any input you guys can give. I know that photographic evidence for Countryside Stewardship grant claims would not warrant as much as continued company promotion via a website, TV ad or social media campaign (for example). When you get to video production, you have to cost the time taken to produce the film with any bells and whistles, plus re-work plus longevity. Not easy!

Regards.

Dennis thanks for your input I now realise your an editor first.

Im a Certified UAV Pilot first -I think thats where our differences lie.

What works for you will not work for me. The editor has pretty much put down how I look at it.

Glad its working out for you but I could not survive financially ( or I could but my missus wouldn't get as many holidays in the sun as she is used to) if I adopted your business model.

In my particular circumstances adopting your business model would not make any financial sense.

Thanks

Getting back to the original question. If you have a written contract with your client it should explain the T&C's including that you are NOT a work for hire photographer and that you retain all copyright. If this is not clear in your terms then your client may be under the belief that they own the material and can provide to 3rd parties. You need to make this clear for any future work with all clients if you wish to have control over your work. If the client wants ownership then increase your fees to cover any possible future lost income.

Dennis thanks for your input I now realise your an editor first.

Im a Certified UAV Pilot first -I think thats where our differences lie.

What works for you will not work for me. The editor has pretty much put down how I look at it.

Glad its working out for you but I could not survive financially ( or I could but my missus wouldn't get as many holidays in the sun as she is used to) if I adopted your business model.

In my particular circumstances adopting your business model would not make any financial sense.

Thanks
Yes, I understand you. Im a production house and I dont employ anyone as I do all my own work. I get called to create a commercial and I use my cameras to source footage I need. The client never sees the footage. I deliver the commercial or video and thats it. If I get asked just to shoot for a client then thats different. It rarely happens and I dont really take on that kind of work. If someone wants to pay me $250 an hour to shoot then I will take it on but I make money from production, not filming. I do about 4 tv commercials a week plus videos.

Getting back to the original question. If you have a written contract with your client it should explain the T&C's including that you are NOT a work for hire photographer and that you retain all copyright. If this is not clear in your terms then your client may be under the belief that they own the material and can provide to 3rd parties. You need to make this clear for any future work with all clients if you wish to have control over your work. If the client wants ownership then increase your fees to cover any possible future lost income.
You are right. I don't do contracts but I let the client know that the footage is mine and it is used for the clients work only. If he wants to get someone else to create a video or commercial then the other party can get their own footage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44