Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crazy... But Inspire 1 for fun?

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am considering purchasing an Inspire 1, i am not new to quadcopters, started with a Nano QX then a Phantom Vision and then a Phantom 2 that I made with h3-2d, mini osd, futaba tx and rx and some other mods.

Right now I only have a P3 Pro which I fly for fun and am really interested in the Inspire 1 V2.0

I have no use for it at all... I am not particularly keen on taking video and pictures all the time, I just like this crafts because they are innovative and cool.

So is it overkill? I dont fly my P3 everyday and Sometimes I think its kind of boring...

What I am expecting from the inspire is a more exotic craft which is that much more fun to fly than the P3 because I know the camera is the same, so no improvement there.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks!
JC

Reactions: MacDyver
Build a 250 or 330 for some excitement! If you just want it because you like the way it looks then go for it. You can always sell it if you find that its boring.

It's your money,if you can afford it go for it! You never know what you may want to do with it down the road.

Do it. I bought mine for fun and love it. It flies really well, almost like a 60 sized rc helicopter.
Once it is in the air, high and away(my house is backed into a nature reservation), my 5 year old boy loves flying it. I have attached his "Transformers" figures to the Inspire, rotated the Inspire's camera 180 degrees and took videos of it flying. One thing about the Inspire is its size - it is hard to travel with it compared to the Phantoms.

Hi Jc just got delivery today from ups the inspire1 with extra batteries and a extra remote.
Can't wait hope you sample one or some how experience this machine that is ,I believe the beginning of a exciting future.
Go for it

People LOVE the transformation it makes! It's got to be the best looking drone on the market. If you want wow factor, inspire 1 has it! It will perform better then any phantom. But if you're looking for fun "flying style" get an FPV racer.

I wouldn't buy one "for fun" if your fun is aircraft performance. I've flown gliders, powered planes and helicopters for the last 25 years. I now have an Inspire 1 Pro and I love it for photos and video. When it comes to flying, it's doing 90% of the flying for me. Can't pitch or roll beyond 35 degrees, vertical climb and descent rate limited by software. Forget loops and rolls. I would look at a cheaper quad for fun flying, one that puts piloting skills (and risks) back in the hands of the pilot.

Reactions: Hercules_One
I originally liked the Phantom Advanced but then started investigating the Inspire and unless something radically new is introduced by January 2016 I'll purchase the Inspire Pro "For the fun of it", I've worked hard for my money, I'll spend it how I please, (Happily single retired Firefighter) I think the Inspire 1 Pro will have future sensor upgrades and aftermarket support so It can grow and be more interesting, In fact I'm already discussing with an Engineer buddy ideas for marketing modular aftermarket devices, (Thermal Imaging, HUD Helmet, FLIR, Separate 360 degree pilot cam, Collision avoidance sensors, Magnetic Field Detection, In Flight Solar augmented power recharging, Satellite Communications Package, Rail or Plasma guns, EMP, AA & AGM systems) OK those last items not so much. Although it's for fun now If I decide to make money I don't have to lose money in the upgrade process. I remember when I wanted my first motorcycle folks advised starting small I ignored them got a 1500cc never tried to out ride it and have always been pleased, Same thought applies here. Remember he who dies with the most toys win!

I originally liked the Phantom Advanced but then started investigating the Inspire and unless something radically new is introduced by January 2016 I'll purchase the Inspire Pro "For the fun of it", I've worked hard for my money, I'll spend it how I please, (Happily single retired Firefighter) I think the Inspire 1 Pro will have future sensor upgrades and aftermarket support so It can grow and be more interesting, In fact I'm already discussing with an Engineer buddy ideas for marketing modular aftermarket devices, (Thermal Imaging, HUD Helmet, FLIR, Separate 360 degree pilot cam, Collision avoidance sensors, Magnetic Field Detection, In Flight Solar augmented power recharging, Satellite Communications Package, Rail or Plasma guns, EMP, AA & AGM systems) OK those last items not so much. Although it's for fun now If I decide to make money I don't have to lose money in the upgrade process. I remember when I wanted my first motorcycle folks advised starting small I ignored them got a 1500cc never tried to out ride it and have always been pleased, Same thought applies here. Remember he who dies with the most toys win!

I am 100% with you. I purchased a P2 H3-3D last xmas because I already owned a Hero 3. Then after buying a transmitter, FPV monitor, various cables, upgraded antennas because the poor range on the stock ones I realized it was simply just too much work and found my self not flying it as much as it wasnt more of a grab and go solution. I also wanted to record with the P2 and the Hero in tandem and couldn't justify buying a second hero just for the P2. Then when the P3 released I immediately realized I had to upgrade. The quality of lightbridge alone was enough to interest me. The fact that I could use my ipad mini 3 as my monitor was amazing, I always have it charged and its much nicer than the the black pearl monitor that I used with the P2.

For the next couple of weeks I mulled over the idea of a P3A, P3P, I1(b,d) or the I1v2.0. In terms of what I needed the P3A was just that. In terms of what I wanted it was the I1v2.0. The I1v2.0 was delivered on Friday from BH Photo. What I realized is that is what I truely wanted so to prevent any buyers remorse I really only had 1 option.

Simply just for the fun and enjoyment of flying. From my 2 flights thus far (still in beginner mode) I will say the I1 is MUCH more fun to fly then my P2 and just the wow factors from people walking by my house seeing it was totally worth it.

Also my first motorcycle was a 1000cc supersport and I havent looked back. I am very glad I didnt take the advice of starting with a small 250cc.

A 250 is much quicker and much more responsive. It seems like a 250 would be much more in your arena if you started out with a 1000, not an inspire :)

Last edited:

Well nobody likes a know it all, but my predictions about DJI add on sensors are materializing. DJI introduced the Zenmuse XT, Thermal imaging camera, I'm waiting with bated breath for knowledgeable reviews.
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography
Collision avoidance will not be coming to the Inspire (if you want to mess around with that you can play with the Matrices).
Solar charging is not possible since the surface area that would be feasible on the Inspire and output from current votaic cells is simply not enough to even top up a 6s pack that is having 18amps pulled from it at hover.
Magnetic field detection is already integral to the Inspire and is imperative for it to fly! - The built in magnetometer measures differential in the magnetic field and outputs this flux data to the flight controller in real time.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'satellite communications package" but assume you are talking about some kind of uplink feature like Iridium or Inmarsat? What is the point when you can carry one of these devices in your pocket?
I will not go into the last few points in your post since you are talking about weaponizing your UAV which will render it illegal to even take off so is pretty pointless.
The Inspire is a million miles away from military spec hardware or software and will never be anything different.

I would suggest that with the 'modifications' and tinkering you have in mind the Inspire would not be the best platform for you. Maybe a Matrice with external sensor and Manifold package would be better.

Collision avoidance will not be coming to the Inspire (if you want to mess around with that you can play with the Matrices).
Solar charging is not possible since the surface area that would be feasible on the Inspire and output from current votaic cells is simply not enough to even top up a 6s pack that is having 18amps pulled from it at hover.
Magnetic field detection is already integral to the Inspire and is imperative for it to fly! - The built in magnetometer measures differential in the magnetic field and outputs this flux data to the flight controller in real time.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'satellite communications package" but assume you are talking about some kind of uplink feature like Iridium or Inmarsat? What is the point when you can carry one of these devices in your pocket?
I will not go into the last few points in your post since you are talking about weaponizing your UAV which will render it illegal to even take off so is pretty pointless.
The Inspire is a million miles away from military spec hardware or software and will never be anything different.

I would suggest that with the 'modifications' and tinkering you have in mind the Inspire would not be the best platform for you. Maybe a Matrice with external sensor and Manifold package would be better.

How can the person who dreams this "Self Built 12 foot Hex powered by 6 lawnmower engines, 36"props giving 14 days flight time and a range of just over 3,000 miles. Transmitter commands come from thought inputs connected to my frontal lobes via a colander on my head." Not believe some of the whimsical ideas I've mentioned are not possible with the I1?
What I am hoping is that DJI would incorporate interfaces allowing aftermarket modular implementation of new systems. i do appreciate your input, we must now determine methods to create increasingly efficient and lighter motors, to retrofit CAS (collision avoidance systems, not close air support) to the I1. I'm a Modern Marvels nut so I do believe!
Thanks for your sobering response!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrocksshuttle