Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crooked horizon

Reaction score
OK, I've seen people mention this problem in the past but it doesn't seem like there's a firm solution/fix for this. The newer drones with 3-axis gimbals make for very steady pics and video, but the tilted horizon would drive me to desperation. There are four factors I can think of that could cause this:

1. IMU drift causing the zero reference to change.

2. Count loss in the gimbals causing it to drift.

3. Deflection of the mount.

4. Rounding error in the control software.

Of these the two that seem most likely are IMU drift and loss of counts in the gimbals so running the IMU calibration more frequently as well as gimbal calibration should, I think, solve most of the problem. I do not yet have my I1 (next month) so I wonder if those that have had this problem can provide an update.

Lastly, is this issue common to both the X3 and X5 mounts?

Brian

Other people have commented that this adjustment doesn't solve the problem. Adjusting the gimbal roll would only be a short term fix and it doesn't address the reason for the error in the first place.

As I indicated in the OP I do not yet have the I1 that I expect to pick up next month and it's because many of the video's I've seen show this problem to greater or lesser degree. The other posts I've seen on the issue go back a while and I was currious to know if there have been improvements to address the problem.

And, I am particularly curious to know of the X5 Zenmuse mount has the same issues the older X3 mount clearly does. That is, is the X5/X5R Zenmuse gimbal system better, worse or about the same?

Brian

Other people have commented that this adjustment doesn't solve the problem. Adjusting the gimbal roll would only be a short term fix and it doesn't address the reason for the error in the first place.

As I indicated in the OP I do not yet have the I1 that I expect to pick up next month and it's because many of the video's I've seen show this problem to greater or lesser degree. The other posts I've seen on the issue go back a while and I was currious to know if there have been improvements to address the problem.

And, I am particularly curious to know of the X5 Zenmuse mount has the same issues the older X3 mount clearly does. That is, is the X5/X5R Zenmuse gimbal system better, worse or about the same?

Brian
I cant help Im afraid. I have found my horizons to be fine. Inspire Pro with X5.

OK, I've seen people mention this problem in the past but it doesn't seem like there's a firm solution/fix for this. The newer drones with 3-axis gimbals make for very steady pics and video, but the tilted horizon would drive me to desperation. There are four factors I can think of that could cause this:

1. IMU drift causing the zero reference to change.

2. Count loss in the gimbals causing it to drift.

3. Deflection of the mount.

4. Rounding error in the control software.

Of these the two that seem most likely are IMU drift and loss of counts in the gimbals so running the IMU calibration more frequently as well as gimbal calibration should, I think, solve most of the problem. I do not yet have my I1 (next month) so I wonder if those that have had this problem can provide an update.

Lastly, is this issue common to both the X3 and X5 mounts?

Brian
I have explained this many times on the forum - please do a search and you will pull up some informative threads.
It is down the the weighting bias DJI (and all other manufacturers) place on the gyro v accelerometers. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' gimbal (same as there is no such thing as a perfect lens - they are all compromises) and all of them will behave differently depending on slow curved manoeuvres versus fast dynamic flight.
DJI do not allow the user to manually set this weighting factor or PID values for their gimbals (which is a very wise move as it would cause a deluge of problems from people who would have no idea how to set them up).
What we have with the DJI offerings is a happy medium which performs very well for the majority of scenarios - we also have quick access via the C2 button to fast level in situations where there has been slight drift.

Reactions: Meta4
They are ALL crap. X3 and X5. And DJI for still not acknowledging it nor fixing it. Even a brand new Inspire PRO from December 2015, a 5,000 EUR Machine !!!!, has the issue.

Its just ridiculous.

I have gone through 7 Inspires, from january - december 2015 production. All well as flown myself at least 5 Inspires from friends. Same problem.

IMG_0730.PNG

I have explained this many times on the forum - please do a search and you will pull up some informative threads.
It is down the the weighting bias DJI (and all other manufacturers) place on the gyro v accelerometers. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' gimbal (same as there is no such thing as a perfect lens - they are all compromises) and all of them will behave differently depending on slow curved manoeuvres versus fast dynamic flight.
DJI do not allow the user to manually set this weighting factor or PID values for their gimbals (which is a very wise move as it would cause a deluge of problems from people who would have no idea how to set them up).
What we have with the DJI offerings is a happy medium which performs very well for the majority of scenarios - we also have quick access via the C2 button to fast level in situations where there has been slight drift.

Sorry Editor, I cannot agree. I have 2 P3Ps, one which has a 99.9% perfect horizon, a P2 which has 99% perfect horizon, as well as Ghost+ with a 99% perfect horizon. The whole idea of the gimbal is to have steady footage and of course a perfect horizon. Is it called the Inspire Pro, or the Inspire Toy ? Does it cost 100 bucks or 5000 bucks ?

Sorry Editor, I cannot agree. I have 2 P3Ps, one which has a 99.9% perfect horizon, a P2 which has 99% perfect horizon, as well as Ghost+ with a 99% perfect horizon. The whole idea of the gimbal is to have steady footage and of course a perfect horizon. Is it called the Inspire Pro, or the Inspire Toy ? Does it cost 100 bucks or 5000 bucks ?
I am glad you are happy with your platforms and your gimbals are level (except the Inspire):)

...and your gimbals are level (except the Inspire):)

I clearly haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, because I somehow misread that as 'may your gimbals be level', and thought "that would a great benediction or blessing, if there were a church of aerial photography".

"May your skies always be clear, your signals strong, and your gimbals level."

Reactions: The Editor
I dont know what to say? I certainly dont have this problem on mine. I use it professionally for tv production. Why do you need so many drones? I don't get the $5000 thing. Thats not expensive for a camera. What other camera on the planet can you buy for that sort of money to shoot pro footage? Im about to order the new Black Magic Ursa which is over 15k plus accessories. I want one because this X5 makes my Canon Mark 3 look sick. I dont know what you use your drones for but to me they are not toys and just a way of carrying a camera.

Same problem, i hope dji fix this bug in new firmware.

in order i try to:
recalibrate gimbal
adjust gimbal roll
reset gimbal yaw
re-install firmware
recalibrate imu

nothing seems to work:(:(:(:(:(

When you do the IMU calibration do you check to see if the table or platform the Inspire is on is level? Is the horizon tilt always the same direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise)? Does the tilt change while flying straight? Does it change when you change direction?

Brian

When you do the IMU calibration do you check to see if the table or platform the Inspire is on is level? Is the horizon tilt always the same direction (clockwise or anti-clockwise)? Does the tilt change while flying straight? Does it change when you change direction?

Brian

Hi Brian

Sorry but i think i don't understand your first question...;/
In order to answer your question:
I calibrate the imu in the same place where i fly!! On a flat surface!!;)
The horizon tilt always in same direction (anticlockwise) but im not so sure!!;)
Yes The tilt change while flying and yes it change when i change direction but also when i change altitude!!;(

V.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I just noticed this issue tonight with a brand new I1 v2. I was in about a 10kt crosswind and the horizon was far from level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar