Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crystal Sky Monitors

I think another fact of the crystal sky monitor that is being overlooked is it's ability to function in inclimate whether. I can't tell you how many times this past winter as I was flying outdoors that my iPad's battery drained quickly Because of the cold and just shut down, even in mid flight and even with the controller set to charging the iPad always.

Reactions: Advexure
does anyone use an android phone version of the dpi go 4 app on their inspire 2? can they comment whether the fpv and camera view are both viewable?

looking at some of the youtube videos for NAB 2017 where the show the crystal sky monitor, i think i can see the smaller crystal sky monitor with only 1 view visible and the little toggle button in the lower right corner to bring up the fpv....

Yes you have to toggle between the two at this point. I believe the screen is too small to show multiples. We will have to see what the final version does but I'm betting it won't have the PIP

I like the idea but I'm confused with the direction of support for android. DJI has pursued close integration with Apple which has pushed many people to buy the ipad for better performance and access to GS Pro. Now they are going back towards android? Will they release an android version of GS Pro?
I want to say I read somewhere that there is a new app for android coming out with the M200 that will be very similar to GS Pro... @Advexure do you know?

Yes, part of the M200 release DJI released the following information: "DJI GO 4 mobile app can be used to control and customize the Matrice 200 Series. iPad users can also plan flights through DJI’s GS Pro app. In addition to that, the M200 Series supports the brand new DJI Pilot Android app, which is specifically designed for enterprise users, optimizing user experience and flight performance. The DJI Pilot app will be available once the M200 Series has begun shipment."

I think another fact of the crystal sky monitor that is being overlooked is it's ability to function in inclimate whether. I can't tell you how many times this past winter as I was flying outdoors that my iPad's battery drained quickly Because of the cold and just shut down, even in mid flight and even with the controller set to charging the iPad always.

Very true, @smoak5, and with the built-in battery as well as external battery you can hot swap batteries during a shoot.

Reactions: Tommcmick
Very true, @smoak5, and with a built-in battery as well as external battery I would assume we can hot swap batteries instead of being sh** out of luck when the iPad goes dead in the middle of a shoot. I did not seen a hot swap at NAB but would be very surprised if you cannot.

According to DJI at FDIC hot swap isn't going to be a part of Crystal Sky. I was very surprised when I was told this. I will confirm with the Engineers at DJI to be sure. Fingers crossed as this would be a great thing to have.

According to DJI at FDIC hot swap isn't going to be a part of Crystal Sky. I was very surprised when I was told this. I will confirm with the Engineers at DJI to be sure. Fingers crossed as this would be a great thing to have.

DJI in response to the battery hot swap question "Yes, as long as the built-in battery has enough charge it will keep the monitor powered and then when an external battery is installed it charges the built-in battery"

Reactions: mpaerial
Yes, part of the M200 release DJI released the following information: "DJI GO 4 mobile app can be used to control and customize the Matrice 200 Series. iPad users can also plan flights through DJI’s GS Pro app. In addition to that, the M200 Series supports the brand new DJI Pilot Android app, which is specifically designed for enterprise users, optimizing user experience and flight performance. The DJI Pilot app will be available once the M200 Series has begun shipment."

See I knew I remember reading that somewhere! ;)

Couple of questions for you on the monitor that I was going to call and talk to Dan about but I'll ask them here:

1) How does the CrystalSky connect to the I2 RC? USB or Can-Bus?
2) Do you know pricing on additional external batteries for the monitor?
3) If I am using CrystalSky do I not need to have my GPS Module connected since the CS has built in GPS?

Just about ready to pre-order, think I'm going to get the 7.85 1000 nit. Can't justify the 2000 nit and my wife sure will not approve I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Thx for the help

Reactions: Tommcmick
See I knew I remember reading that somewhere! ;)

Couple of questions for you on the monitor that I was going to call and talk to Dan about but I'll ask them here:

3) If I am using CrystalSky do I not need to have my GPS Module connected since the CS has built in GPS?

Just about ready to pre-order, think I'm going to get the 7.85 1000 nit. Can't justify the 2000 nit and my wife sure will not approve I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Thx for the help

See responses below in GREEN.

Connects to the RC by USB, see the below image.
CrystalSky Rear.jpg
Photo Credit: Ken Booth of DJI

No we do not. An announcement will be made here when we are informed: DJI CrystalSky - Pre-order now available at Advexure

Correct, you would be able to operate with the CrystalSky's built in GPS/GLONASS

Feel free to reach out on the live chat, call or email for assistance with the pre-order.

See responses below in GREEN.

Connects to the RC by USB, see the below image.
View attachment 13438
Photo Credit: Ken Booth of DJI

No we do not. An announcement will be made here when we are informed: DJI CrystalSky - Pre-order now available at Advexure

Correct, you would be able to operate with the CrystalSky's built in GPS/GLONASS

Feel free to reach out on the live chat, call or email for assistance with the pre-order.

WOW thanks for the speedy response on a Sunday night!! Pre-ordering by phone tomorrow. Appreciate the info.

I´m wondering, how DJI came to the decisions they made for the CrystalSky Monitors.
- No support of third party plug-ins (Autopilot or at least Litchi for Android and DroneDeploy are essential for my work)
- No HDMI input (Why the hell produce a 2000nits unit, that cant be used as a simple field monitor?)
- New Battery System(one more charger and batteries to carry around)
- Quick Release System for existing remotes (What, if i wan to use my IPad? unscrew the whole bracket and install the standard bracket?)

All in all you get a surely great monitor with DJI Go and maybe a half ready GS Pro for your money?

Disappointing from my view.

Reactions: Viper Pilot
1. Full control over what is installed should let them approach iOS levels of stability with Android.

2. HDMI inputs on Android devices are extremely rare, not impossible, but not easy to find. Would have been nice to have but not necessary with DJI equipment and they are focused on that rather than going up against the monitor market.

3. The new batter system is the same for both Crystalsky and Cendence. That is where the change makes sense. One battery system for all you needs either a pro rig.

4. The Cendence does have an easily changeable quick release bracket to change from Crystalsky to normal device holder with unscrewing anything. I'd wait until everything is fully released, there may be something similar for the mount for the standard controllers as well.

Good point, we have the opposite problem with heat. An iPad out in the sun all day doesn't do well either. Sun hood help keep them a little cooler, but they get hot when its 100 degrees out.

The Crystal Sky monitors can't be used with 3rd party apps such as FPV Camera or Autopilot! Bummer!
I mostly fly with 3rd party apps all the time, this monitor is not for me.
Shame! I was looking forward to it!

When the CrystalSky begins shipping we're not going to be seeing third party app capability but I have seen how they can run apps like Instagram and Facebook so that's a start. I'm going to go out on a limb but I really think we'll see these be able to run third party apps sometime in the very near future. Fingers crossed...

When the CrystalSky begins shipping we're not going to be seeing third party app capability but I have seen how they can run apps like Instagram and Facebook so that's a start. I'm going to go out on a limb but I really think we'll see these be able to run third party apps sometime in the very near future. Fingers crossed...
Any idea when they will start shipping?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84