Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Damnit - I ripped a motor off

Reaction score
Trying to deliver a Turkish Delight to my daughter, I was over the lift off weight and had to remove the guards to reduce weight.

One guard wouldn't let go of the motor, and even holding the motor with pliers wasn't enough, eventually they slipped and the guard came off with the motor attached :(

I guess I'll have to fly my Inspire around the house while I wait for a new motor for the Hubsan to arrive.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444539423.598531.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to deliver a Turkish Delight to my daughter, I was over the lift off weight and had to remove the guards to reduce weight.

One guard wouldn't let go of the motor, and even holding the motor with pliers wasn't enough, eventually they slipped and the guard came off with the motor attached :(

I guess I'll have to fly my Inspire around the house while I wait for a new motor for the Hubsan to arrive.
View attachment 4083

You will have to send the entire unit back to the service centre.
They MAY replace everything but you will need to send them your flight logs and make sure your firmware is up to date.
Turnaround time is currently 36months and you will have to replace the Turkish Delight yourself since this is not covered under warranty due to its sell buy date.
You will have to pay postage there and back.

Yes, unfortunately it was a checklist that was never designed for the installation of a Turkish Delight in a harness of rubber bands underneath the airframe.

But I blame the manufacturer (why break a pattern set by about half the people here).
The propguard welds itself to the motor after a lot of use, and so when you try pulling it off, instead it ends up pulling the motor out instead.
It can't possibly have been that I didn't take the time to loosen it properly first, or try other techniques to remove it, but just held the motor with the leatherman while pulling hard on the guard, because that would make it user error, and my fault. It can't be that

Yes, unfortunately it was a checklist that was never designed for the installation of a Turkish Delight in a harness of rubber bands underneath the airframe.

But I blame the manufacturer (why break a pattern set by about half the people here).
The propguard welds itself to the motor after a lot of use, and so when you try pulling it off, instead it ends up pulling the motor out instead.
It can't possibly have been that I didn't take the time to loosen it properly first, or try other techniques to remove it, but just held the motor with the leatherman while pulling hard on the guard, because that would make it user error, and my fault. It can't be that
Absolutely not! - Totally the manufacturers fault. Did they specifically say not to carry Turkish delights? They needn't think they are going to get away with trying to cover this up with a 'Turkish Delight Firmware Upgrade' later.
This is an accident waiting to happen. Imagine that had been an unwrapped candy!!!! It doesn't bear thinking about.
This has class action written all over it.

Reactions: Ezookiel
First, maybe I hang out in the wrong places but a Turkish delight sounds like something I would get at a low rent massage parlor. Must be a European thing. Secondly, it looks like that plastic is of a different look than the original plastic that came out on the first airframes shipped. I bet it wasn't as strong as other peoples plastic and that is why your engine tore loose. Send it back and ask for a airframe with a B on the box.

If you need money for this expensive repair let me know.Will send you a Dutch delight;)

You've just reminded me that I have to jump on eBay and grab some more motors.
Wonder if they make carbon fibre blades, or have "thrust boosted" versions, those might help.

36 months turnaround?
But I need this for my work - that un-gimbal-stabilised 640x480 resolution is a favourite of all the best movie makers.
I was hoping to make my fortune from this quad :(

What take 36 month turn around ?

+1 on 680x480 being my favorite. Haven't flown my i1 since stepping up. I haven't had the cojones for a Turkish delite run yet, but my Twinkie run went with super sweet with very sweet results. Of course I followed applicable Twinkie preflight checklists to a T. I hope your not grounded the entire 36... I wouldn't hold my breath though . Dark times for sure.

pssst ... hey you... pssst ... you, yaa you Ezookiel! Igot a proposition for ya. I know this lawyer guy... see .. and he can make you a rich man,.... SHHHH! don't blab this out ! this lawyer guy he'll get Hubson to pay out big and all you'll have to do is sit back and rake it in! ... SHHHH then he'll go after the motor company and then the guard division... what? I told you my guy is good... real good! Then he'll go after Leatherman, after all they are the real cause of this whole dilemma!!! My guy will have you rollen in the doo in less time it takes Hubson to fix your quad. But that's not all SHHH you don't want everybody in on this... Then my guy the lawyer friend will go after the Turkish candy company... he'll have you in candy till your great, great, great, great grandchildren's teeth fall out!!! what ... what you mean you don't know? this will be like candy fromout of the rapper. ........there is one thing thow ... I hate to bring this part up but you know you just got to. ..... SHHH not to loud.... Editor is probably listening in... with all the advice he gave, he'll probably want half!!!
anyway my gut is gonna need a little cash... you know a little something to get all that legal mumbo jumbo bullshot paper work and barbeque started ... Well my guy ain't real cheap but he said he'll give you a break... He'll let you keep the whole settlement (minus what your going to have to give to Editor!!!) but he needs that little something up front how much? aww just a poultry $4,852.78 US of coarse. yaa that's it. ..... CASH only !!!!! and if you act real soon, He'll knock off the 78 cents! Darn What a Deal!
Remember the less you let Editor know the less you have to cut him in.
Hope to here something soon.

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread, since there are so many :mad: friggin' threads (So lately I just go to the end of each thread to see what's up with the latest poop, since that's where the straight skinny is, right?).

So did somebody say their Inspire motor ripped off!!?? Wow, DJI, you have a lot to answer for. Manufacturing defect, for sure. We really should get some sort of class action suit going. Who knows, might make a few bucks. ;) My Inspire1 and I1Pro haven't had any problems, sure, but if it happened to one guy, it's bound to happen again, right? That's a pattern, in my mind.

What's that you say, this has nothing to do with the Inspire? :oops: Never mind..............

pssst ... hey you... pssst ... you, yaa you Ezookiel! Igot a proposition for ya. I know this lawyer guy... see .. and he can make you a rich man,.... SHHHH! don't blab this out ! this lawyer guy he'll get Hubson to pay out big and all you'll have to do is sit back and rake it in! ... SHHHH then he'll go after the motor company and then the guard division... what? I told you my guy is good... real good! Then he'll go after Leatherman, after all they are the real cause of this whole dilemma!!! My guy will have you rollen in the doo in less time it takes Hubson to fix your quad. But that's not all SHHH you don't want everybody in on this... Then my guy the lawyer friend will go after the Turkish candy company... he'll have you in candy till your great, great, great, great grandchildren's teeth fall out!!! what ... what you mean you don't know? this will be like candy fromout of the rapper. ........there is one thing thow ... I hate to bring this part up but you know you just got to. ..... SHHH not to loud.... Editor is probably listening in... with all the advice he gave, he'll probably want half!!!
anyway my gut is gonna need a little cash... you know a little something to get all that legal mumbo jumbo bullshot paper work and barbeque started ... Well my guy ain't real cheap but he said he'll give you a break... He'll let you keep the whole settlement (minus what your going to have to give to Editor!!!) but he needs that little something up front how much? aww just a poultry $4,852.78 US of coarse. yaa that's it. ..... CASH only !!!!! and if you act real soon, He'll knock off the 78 cents! Darn What a Deal!
Remember the less you let Editor know the less you have to cut him in.
Hope to here something soon.
I would never want half - I'm not that greedy....... 49% will be fine.

Reactions: STClassic01

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1