Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Desert Hearts Music Festival - Southern California

Do you fly your Inspire with dual operators?

• Yes

• No

• When I have a camera operator available, yes

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Hey guys, we were asked to shoot aerials of a Deep House/House music festival that is starting to be well recognized. Below you will find the link to our video, we ask that you please do not repost this on social media yet. I just want to get your guys opinion on this video. We were shooting with Dual Operators for the first time in all of this video. The color isn't perfect by any means, but we would still love to get opinions on our little video.

Thanks in advance!

- Jay

Video link below, be sure to watch in either 1080 or 4K.

Last edited:
Have you thought about the safety with such a flight?

What would happen if you were to have problems? I routinely reject such assignments, because it is too big a risk to harm someone..

Word, surprised you didn't chop some ravers head off (or at least their bunny ears). That's sketchy as hell

If I were to just attend an event, and fly for my own needs, I would not be flying like this. We only did this because that's what the festival creators and media team wanted from us. We throughly explained the dangers of this type of flying to them. All of the participants are made aware of the aircraft, when purchasing a ticket to the festival you are acknowledging that you could get hurt by many different things. Flying camera platforms are included. Each participant that came through the gates were also additionally notified that there would be low flying aircraft with cameras on them. Yes' it's sketchy, but I have faith in my ability, and my AC's ability. Were also insured, and the festival insurance covers us for anything. The festival would be liable for any damages that were caused by the aircraft.

Hey guys, we were asked to shoot aerials of a Deep House/House music festival that is starting to be well recognized. Below you will find the link to our video, we ask that you please do not repost this on social media yet. I just want to get your guys opinion on this video. We were shooting with Dual Operators for the first time in all of this video. The color isn't perfect by any means, but we would still love to get opinions on our little video.

Thanks in advance!

- Jay

Video link below, be sure to watch in either 1080 or 4K.
Personally, I consider this irresponsible with a non redundant RPAS.
Sorry but that's how I see it, one small problem and you have a serious incident.

If I were to just attend an event, and fly for my own needs, I would not be flying like this. We only did this because that's what the festival creators and media team wanted from us. We throughly explained the dangers of this type of flying to them. All of the participants are made aware of the aircraft, when purchasing a ticket to the festival you are acknowledging that you could get hurt by many different things. Flying camera platforms are included. Each participant that came through the gates were also additionally notified that there would be low flying aircraft with cameras on them. Yes' it's sketchy, but I have faith in my ability, and my AC's ability. Were also insured, and the festival insurance covers us for anything. The festival would be liable for any damages that were caused by the aircraft.

So you ignore the fact that there is a great risk that you harm other people, because you have insurance?
I also have insurance, but do not do flights where I know others may be harmed. Think you have to reflect about how much damage an Inspire 1 propeller do if it hit someone's face, for example.
But perhaps you do not care about that.. Because inexperienced visitors, who may never have seen a drone, knows very well how dangerous it is.... and accept the danger.

So you ignore the fact that there is a great risk that you harm other people, because you have insurance?
I also have insurance, but do not do flights where I know others may be harmed. Think you have to reflect about how much damage an Inspire 1 propeller do if it hit someone's face, for example.
But perhaps you do not care about that.. Because inexperienced visitors, who may never have seen a drone, knows very well how dangerous it is.... and accept the danger.

Nope, not ignored, taken in to consideration. No need to "reflect" on how much damage an i1 prop could do. We have all seen the videos out there. Again this was taken in to account, told to the event organizers, and even relayed to the crowd via open mic before we took off. (notice those huge speakers on the left and right of the stage? Yeah, no way people didn't hear that there was about to be an aircraft overhead.)

Like Thomas Jefferson once said, "With great risk comes great reward."

I understand where you guys are coming from, but if these are the only comments everyone is going to have on the video, then please keep them to your self. I've been flying RC aircraft for over 15 years now. I'm WELL aware of the dangers.

In 2013 alone, there were 32,719 deaths from car accidents. But I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar you still drive your car, and even speed at times to.

Look, I'm not saying **** doesn't happen, it does. But 99.9% of the time everything will be fine, as long as your smart about it, check your pre-flight checklists, and aren't flying with damage AC. I understand it only takes 1 error, but anyone serious in the film industry knows, you have to take chances sometimes to get the needed shot. That's just how it is. Some choose to just simply not get the shot (and that's totally fine! absolutely nothing wrong with that), others just have the drive to get what others can't.

Anyone have any constructive criticism about the video? I know the color isn't right in a few of the shots.

Stay safe above all else regards what third parties tell you about "their" insurance.

Once something goes wrong someone always gets their balls in a vice. And if the UAV hits someone/property it WILL be your balls in a vice closely called with your wallet being drained.

Picture the scene....

Injured party lawyer " Our clients(i.e. injured party) have life changing injuries( i.e. blind) what do you say to their parents/loved one etc

You " Its all squared the organisers said "their" insurance will cover it so I did not bother doing a risk assessment etc just flew and had fun until accident not really my fault as they where painted red howling at the moon juggling fire and had a crocodile mask on!!

Injured party lawyer- " Well for a start compensation is going into at least a six figure sum"

Organisers- "we never told xyz aerial media anything. They tell us they are the pros. We took advice off them-then flew."

You to organisers" You told me I was covered on insurance now pay out "

Organsers-" No we did not -prove it. Any way need to go.....

Local media-"Hi just want a comment from they guy that was flying the evil killer drone at th peace party. What do you say-off the record obviously?"

Yep see where this is going.

Mate you got away with it this time with no injuries. Sooner or later you will have an accident or make a mistake. If you take precautions you will minimise the outcome. ALARP.

On a side not I enjoyed footage but if you boxed clever there MAY have been a way to get similar footage without putting people at risk.

Safety hat off...

If you had been unaware of the risks, I had understood the flight, but when you say that you were aware and still flies... o_O

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with your comments.

1. From your website you appear to be operating commercially without a 333 exemption. How then do you deem it appropriate that you would be covered under a commercial events policy that would require you fly legally?
Most commercial policies WILL not cover aerial work for 'hired in' operators. The underwriters deem the risk loading too high and either will be excluded or additional premium will be levied. The events organiser would know this and should ask for sight of both your own commercial liability policy and your 333 exemption.
2. 'Anyone Serious' in the industry would not even contemplate putting a four rotor UAV over a crowd of people. The minimum would be a hex or x8. I operate commercially under specific permissions granted to me for different classes of aircraft. My permissions do not extend to flying over crowds of people - Ever.
3. Telling people blanket fashion that there will be a UAV overhead does not constitute giving their permission for operation. At the very minimum you would have to provide a cordoned area where no flight and no filming would be taking place. This is not just in respect of safety but also invasion of privacy issues.

You did ask for comments regarding your video and there are a lot of commercial operators on this forum who can see safety issues in what you are posting. It is not a case of "I've been flying for years and years so I know what I am doing". Looking at the safety issues in your video you clearly don't.

Sorry to be so blunt but you did ask for opinions!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84