Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Disabling the No Fly Zone protection

correct, the problem being that the VPS is a pile of useless shite. I was thinking about actualyl removing mine and seeing what happens... the only problem with removing it being that in an auto landing situation it would then definatly not know its height...... although in practice the thing is worse than useless and I think id rather it just came down slowly until it hits the floor and tries a yaw twist like the phantom
thats not good. ive never flown indoors, dont have a big enough room. sounds about right though based on how every other dji product/feature works, barely, ha!

I think the vision positioning system works great, as long as it has visual data to work with. A primary issue with indoor flying is that the floors tend to be pretty homogeneous, or a tightly repetitive pattern. I think the way the VPS works is by trying to keep the view straight down the same by adjusting the motors, but if it doesn't have distinctive edges / patterns in the view to recognize and stabilize, it can't work very well if at all. Page 17 of the manual describes a bunch of surfaces which defeat the VPS.

I think the precision (e.g. landing) altitude isn't determined by vision, but by sonar.

I get good GPS lock all the time inside my house away from windows. But, my attic and roof are just wood, fiberglass insulation and composite shingles, nothing to block the GPS signals.

mTp

P.S. If I needed to fly precisely inside where there wasn't a good pattern on the floor, I might consider laying down a grid or pattern on the floor with tape or something, or find a big drop cloth with a distinctive pattern on it. Maybe.

Last edited:
I know that, but in reality carpets, marble floors, warehouse floors are generally homogenic. I can fly inside the warehouse if i let it lock onto a shelving unit..... until it slowly drifts,

The sonar is worse than useless, it has only worked for me on solid concrete, infact, when autolanding over 5cm long grass, it just belly slammed into the ground and never slowed down...... user beware,

U can take off the top plastic on the I1 and disconnect the GPS or you can make a "hat" out of aluminum foil so the GPS cannot communicate. I have tried both of these methods personally and they work 100%. You will probably get answers from lots of folks who have never tried these methods, but will offer you their "theories", (so please consider the source). ;)
I have also flown at an airport, with full permission and notice to the Tower. I couldn't get suitable protection from the top hat, and given that if the inspire receives establishes a signal from gps then it immediately lands I chose to disconnect the gps receiver. took about five minutes and is 100% successful.

Isn't that what the flight mode switch on the transmitter is for? Why bother disconnecting or making hats when you can just simply flip the switch to manual mode?
Whatever mode you are in the system recognizes your position and simply refuses to allow you, the owner to turn on your $3500 machine! Land of the free!

I believe height is restricted to something like 65ft if no GPS signal or module is connected. I think I read that in a post by an employee.

When I arrived I was unable to start the motors. After I disconnected the gps I was able to fly without restriction, the unit simply did not know where it was and I flew in ATTI mode.\
It was challenging as it was windy and increased risk in an area where we actually wanted to reduce risk.

It was challenging as it was windy and increased risk in an area where we actually wanted to reduce risk.
I would not have flown then, my procedures wouldn't allow that.

However, I do understand the frustration. But literally accepting a greater risk, where you actually wanted to reduce risk is not in my manual.

Pro's should be able to fly safe in every zone with all the flight electronics operational.
It's a shame that restricting the Inspire1 for the sake of the nitwits, forces some people to fly unsafe just to be able to do the job.
But not flying safe is not Pro at all.

DJI should give certified Pro's a different Pro firmware without consumer restrictions, that's my view on it.

(edited a zillion times just to get the tone a bit less nannying :))

Last edited:
I would not have flown then, my procedures wouldn't allow that.

However, I do understand the frustration. But literally accepting a greater risk, where you actually wanted to reduce risk is not in my manual.

Pro's should be able to fly safe in every zone with all the flight electronics operational.
It's a shame that restricting the Inspire1 for the sake of the nitwits, forces some people to fly unsafe just to be able to do the job.
But not flying safe is not Pro at all.

DJI should give certified Pro's a different Pro firmware without consumer restrictions, that's my view on it.

(edited a zillion times just to get the tone a bit less nannying :))
I don't recall ever saying that it was unsafe! merely that it increased risk in an area where it would have been preferred to decrease it.
Risk is something we assess constantly, I assessed the risks both having flown drones for five years and holding a PPLH ( helicopter pilots licence) being very familiar with the operating environment and having understood all the parameters was satisfied it was safe to fly.
Surely your manual allows you to assess risk and make decisions doesn't it? Unfortunately for us DJI's does not!

I don't recall ever saying that it was unsafe! merely that it increased risk in an area where it would have been preferred to decrease it.
Risk is something we assess constantly, I assessed the risks both having flown drones for five years and holding a PPLH ( helicopter pilots licence) being very familiar with the operating environment and having understood all the parameters was satisfied it was safe to fly.
Surely your manual allows you to assess risk and make decisions doesn't it? Unfortunately for us DJI's does not!
I hear you and you are right. You should be able to do your operation as you as a commercial pilot would need to. It's always the pilots call (or captain). Sorry, never meant to bash you, I was triggered by your statement that it was less unsafe than you would normally would want it to be.

That why I wrote:

I just say, having to disable electronics in the craft, by pulling plugs, not by changing a standard option in your software, bypassing everything the manufacturer built in to prevent that, just to be able to do the job is turning the world upside down. And certainly no procedure in any operational manual. But you know that for sure as a Helicopter Pilot. I don't have to explain of course.
This discussion is also for other folks to read though.

Last edited:
When I arrived I was unable to start the motors. After I disconnected the gps I was able to fly without restriction, the unit simply did not know where it was and I flew in ATTI mode.\

That's a bug. The next FW fixes this and will not allow the motors to start if the GPS unit is unplugged.

Surely your manual allows you to assess risk and make decisions doesn't it?
No. And please let us be very clear about that:

The Operational Manual is all about avoiding and preventing any possible kind of risk. You're not allowed to Not follow YOUR self written, and FAA, CAA or whatever nations authorities, approved procedures.
You're not permitted to pull plugs and change the crafts characteristics if not specifically mentioned as part of your operation. And you would not get that passed anyway, forget it. You're not even allowed to pull GPS plugs yourself, as a commercial pilot, only a certified maintenance shop. And it has to duly noted in the maintenance logs.

Only amateurs wouldn't know that. So I wonder, are we on totally different pages here?

We had a pro helicopter pilot, a pro 777 pilot and an private aerobatics pilot (and me with PPL ground school certificate) in the RPAS ground school, and boy, they didn't know sh?t about RC flying and multirotors. They did have an advantage when it came to meteo and nav exam and general aviation rules, and the heli pilot had some advantages in the mandatory CP heli simulator exam (but less than me with multiple CP heli's flown VLOS in my life). But that about was it.
RPAS operations were (at specific items) completely different to them from what they were used to.

Nice discussion, we're going somewhere :)

Lol, you guys crack me up, atti mode is hardly unsafe. If you can't fly proficiently in atti mode you probably shouldn't be flying at all in my opinion.

Reactions: sanderx
Yeah, when I upgraded the aircraft batteries and discharged them, I really didn't know how reliable the GPS mode was going to be since I only have android and the app wasn't available yet, so I flew it in my backyard. It always holds the altitude, just a some drifting, had no problem in my relatively small area.

That's a bug. The next FW fixes this and will not allow the motors to start if the GPS unit is unplugged.
Good reason to stop updating. I'd be super pissed if I was hired to photograph something at an airport and couldn't because my 3000$ drone won't fly. Time to go custom built!

Hummm, you can do a *fast* take off, to avoid gps to lock and forbid the motors to start, once in the air, and in a nonfly zone, the ACwill initiate autolanding procedures, so you can keep it on air as long as you need, pushing the throttle up, but only up to 20mts. It will not stay leveled and gona push down to autoland all the time.
No need to do a hat trick, or defuse the gps...
I also had to shoot ^with all in rule,order and a NOTAM^ inside an airport, and I1 wouldn't do the job, foring me to fly the s900, free and open to the skies.
PLEASE RESPECT NO FLY ZONES
CERTIFICATE YOUR AC
LICENCE YOURSELF.

Good reason to stop updating. I'd be super pissed if I was hired to photograph something at an airport and couldn't because my 3000$ drone won't fly. Time to go custom built!

Perhaps. But with the stuff fixed and new in the next FW most folks will want to update.

Thanks for pointing out this bug though. Good to get it fixed before an Inspire is sent places it's not meant to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth