Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Disappointed with Video Quality

"When you buy a 4K camera it should perform decently in the arena of 4K cameras. End of story."

As a professional photographer, let me ask you.....are all 4k cameras equal? You should already know, it's not the amount of pixels that matter for good quality images, it's the size of the pixels (or sensor).

Will a 20 mega pixel point and shoot camera out perform a 12 meg full frame camera? No.

Look how small the camera is on the Inspire 1. Imagine how small the sensor is. Technically it is a 4k camera. But as a professional photographer, you should be able to discern small sensor size vs large sensor size cameras.

The word "professional" is relative. Can you make a living professionally flying the Inspire 1? Sure. That's professional. Will the Inspire1 4k. footage be able to hold up to a Sony A7s DSLR or a Sony FS7 camera? No. So it's no longer a professional platform?

So, analyze your tools as a professional, not as a consumer. That is, if you're a professional.

Reactions: Kilrah
Ya, I agree--Martin's stuff is gorgeous every time.
And to weigh in on the 4k discussion--as a professional filmmaker and editor--having a huge 4k frame to edit with at 1080 opens up a whole new world for composing my shot. Sometimes I use the whole 4k frame, but not usually. I can pan and zoom with it at 1080, or just focus on a certain part of the frame. Awesome.
*For me*, I could care less about 4k displays, or delivering 4k content to my clients (who don't need or want it)...I'm using it for different reasons.
+1 - Very well said.
4k is a fantastic tool for acquisition (uncompressed, 10 bit 4:4:4 ;) - Oh how I wish the Inspire could do that!) but a complete waste of time for delivery to the end user who doesn't need it and even if they did wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and well encoded 1080 at a distance greater than a few feet!
The human eye is way way more sensitive to luminance differences than chroma or pixel density which is why contrast and brightness are way more important than resolution (which is about 4th on the list of importance in picture quality)....but that will start me off again on my soapbox of how the human eye does not have the physiology to perceive the resolution difference between 4k and 1080 at normal viewing distances. Yes, yes..I know you CAN see the difference if you put your nose on your 65" panel and compare the same thing with a 1080 panel (at nose length). Pixel density is vastly different but step back a few feet and the human eye cannot tell the difference since the human eyeball can only resolve 1/60 of an arc of resolution (and that's fighter pilot Top Gun Tom Cruise eyesight! - most of us are far worse than that)
Oh bugger.... you've started me off again....:rolleyes:
Can you tell this is my pet hate? LOL..... It's that same marketing crap that came out and has been ingrained in peoples heads by the manufacturers when it came to cameras..... more pixels is better right?..... No it **** well isn't.
I'm shutting up now and will not comment further cos I get all bitter and twisted about the subject. :D:D:D.

Last edited:
The word "professional" is relative. Can you make a living professionally flying the Inspire 1? Sure. That's professional. Will the Inspire1 4k. footage be able to hold up to a Sony A7s DSLR or a Sony FS7 camera? No. So it's no longer a professional platform?

So, analyze your tools as a professional, not as a consumer. That is, if you're a professional.

Spot on and very well said :)

but that will start me off again on my soapbox of how the human eye does not have the physiology to perceive the resolution difference between 4k and 1080 and normal viewing distances. Yes, yes..I know you CAN see the difference if you put your nose on your 65" panel and compare the same thing with a 1080 panel (at nose length). Pixel density is vastly different but step back a few feet and the human eye cannot tell the difference since the human eyeball can only resolve 1/60 of an arc of resolution (and that's fighter pilot Top Gun Tom Cruise eyesight! - most of us are far worse than that)

Exact.

I'm however personally one of the probably rare people to currently be set up "correctly" for 4K, and thoroughly enjoying it :)
The only problem is precisely the lack of content, but the I1 user videos while a bit too compressed by the common video platforms still give visible improvement and are enjoyable.

IMG_1413.png

Reactions: damoncooper
Spot on and very well said :)

Exact.

I'm however personally one of the probably rare people to currently be set up "correctly" for 4K, and thoroughly enjoying it :)
The only problem is precisely the lack of content, but the I1 user videos while a bit too compressed by the common video platforms still give visible improvement and are enjoyable.

View attachment 513

Is it a samsung HU8505 65 "or 55"?

65HU9000, they somehow have series 9 where I am...

BTW the macbook is unrelated there, the TV is driven by a nice high end PC on the ground on the right. HDMI2.0 from a GTX970 (well 2 of them in SLI).

65HU9000, they somehow have series 9 where I am...

BTW the macbook is unrelated there, the TV is driven by a nice high end PC on the ground on the right. HDMI2.0 from a GTX970 (well 2 of them in SLI).

Is inspire1 4k recording good quality to show on television. How is it to see 1080P recordings inspire on your TV?

Yes 4K is great. Not perfect of course, but great and definitely much better than 1080 which obviously looks soft and mushy when upscaled.

Of course it's not as good as a GH4 that records 200Mbps. But then that's not as good as a RED Dragon... The I1 camera does great in its category.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669