Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Disgusting D-Log/Lemon?

Discussion in 'Zenmuse X5' started by wavelight, Aug 2, 2016.

1. wavelight

Hey Folks!

Firstly, thanks to everybody who's made some great posts. You've all helped me learn quite a bit about the Inspire and drones overall!

Quick backstory.... Back in February the production company decided to purchase a drone, we settled on the Inspire 1 Pro. Since having it we've been having severe trouble with the quality of the image coming from the X5...... I cannot for the life of me figure out where is the detail in this camera???

My question is can somebody please help me troubleshoot this issue? Is this normal?

I know people have been having trouble with D-Log but I'm at my wits end with this and I'm going CRAZY trying firmwares, calibrating, modifying gamma curves/color profiles and endless combinations of contrast saturation yada yada.....

The supplied shot is straight D-Log with 0,-1,-1 as its settings. Yes the lens has been calibrated, using a great write-up I found here. Its in focus and I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb Card with up to 90MB/s write speed.

I shoot 2.7k. 30fps with a 180 shutter (1/60). This was with Firmware 1.0.8.01

The footage comes out muddy looking in every "Color Profile" . But once in awhile (not often) the footage is great...other times its like this.

Is this a serious bug? A known issue? or a damn lemon?

Please fire away your input below. If I missed any details please let me know!

Heres the download link for sample footage... Hightail

Thanks,
    Troy

2. gruvpix

Yup, looks about right for d-log on those settings.
    Personally I never use D-log, and 2.7k leaves a bit to be desired on any sharpness value below +1. I understand the need for sharpening in post but anything below +1 is just too muddy to be salvaged.
    If you are on latest firmware, try shooting 4k in D-Cinelike with either 0 or +1 sharpening. (and whatever you like for saturation). I use that with good results and yes the image is still very grade-able.

Tim Cameron likes this.
  3. wavelight

Thanks gruvpix! I'll give it a shot today and do some tests. I do have the same issue with Cine as well. None seems to be the only usable option. I can't believe DJI would put such a gnarly looking profile on their cameras!

4. gruvpix

Which FW version are you on? If it's the latest I find 4K to look by far the best. The version before 'none' on 2.7k was all I would use... Annoying how they change settings so drastically

5. dronealps

What was your aperture? Were you using an ND filter?

6. wavelight

ND16 ... Not sure of the aperture, probably around 5.6? I like to have a lot of depth of field so I don't have to worry about focus. Whatcha thinking?

7. White Airwolf

Just shoot 4K always with the standard X3 camera. Excellent results all the time.
    The X5 system is a piece of crap and just marketing hype for DJI.
    I shoot a lot of television for the networks and I give them the X3 footage in 4K and everyone loves it.

8. gruvpix

Completely disagree.

9. AMGPilot

D-Log is supposed to look flat, you need to post process it. The reason it's flat is to preserve data in the shadows and highlights.

10. AMGPilot

I'd be interested to what you shoot for the networks and what you've delivered

11. gruvpix

I think the argument is that the image looks low-res/muddy rather than sharp. Adding sharpening to an image like this will only increase artifacting as there is not enough detail to work with in the first place.

#11 gruvpix, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016