Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI and the X4s Camera

Reaction score
Wonder if DJI will make any other consumer drones that can use the X4S camera aside from the Inspire 2. Picked up an X4s at a deal but don't currently own and have no intention buying an I2 for some time. Hoping they come out with some cool products that might take advantage of my recent camera purchase.

Maybe on the lines of a larger Mavic Pro Plus with removable/swappable cameras! :)

Wonder if DJI will make any other consumer drones that can use the X4S camera aside from the Inspire 2. Picked up an X4s at a deal but don't currently own and have no intention buying an I2 for some time. Hoping they come out with some cool products that might take advantage of my recent camera purchase.

Maybe on the lines of a larger Mavic Pro Plus with removable/swappable cameras! :)

I like the optimism but with the current cycle and variations in product lines and price points I don't see such a unit squeezing into the lineup any time soon. Unless the imminent Phantom 5 were to have a gimbal/camera mount but I just really don't see that happening.

Reactions: mpaerial
I like the optimism but with the current cycle and variations in product lines and price points I don't see such a unit squeezing into the lineup any time soon. Unless the imminent Phantom 5 were to have a gimbal/camera mount but I just really don't see that happening.

Well I'll try to stay optimistic for both of us then :)

But that's a good idea, dump the aging Phantom design and bring it more in tune with the Mavic Pro design that can utilize these new cameras! I like that...be a nice boost for a new Phantom 5 UAV

Reactions: mpaerial
I would love to see changeable/removable camera options a Phantom 5...now would my wife would approve another drone purchase?? :confused:

Speaking of the x4s camera, has anyone ever had that strange happening in installing it on the Inspire 2. I've followed carefully all the instructions to mount the camera on the drone, it is stated that the power should be off before installation. Unfortunately after few hours of trying the installation, it never worked , no video from the x4s return on my tablet, only the video from the position camera. Checking some comments on this forum, someone has mentioned the same problem, and decided to mount the camera with power on, so I did, and the video return from the camera was excellent, only one drawback, when I remove the batteries. (after shutting down) put them back on I would have to re-install the x4s with power on again, that's annoying, why the inspire 2 doesn't keep the configuration in it's internet memory. Why is it stated in the x4s manual that you should power off before installation, is this a mistake from DJI? Opinions from Inspire 2 and x4s owners would be very much appreciated.

Hi Videobug

I've recently acquired this combo and have always installed it during power off. Haven't had any issues with feed except one a couple of days back when the camera didn't go through it's 'dance' and no camera feed appeared. I turned the aircraft off, then on and that time all was back to normal again. I do have another problem with the X4S however but that is for another thread.

Regards, Bob

Moved to X4S section

Speaking of the x4s camera, has anyone ever had that strange happening in installing it on the Inspire 2. I've followed carefully all the instructions to mount the camera on the drone, it is stated that the power should be off before installation. Unfortunately after few hours of trying the installation, it never worked , no video from the x4s return on my tablet, only the video from the position camera. Checking some comments on this forum, someone has mentioned the same problem, and decided to mount the camera with power on, so I did, and the video return from the camera was excellent, only one drawback, when I remove the batteries. (after shutting down) put them back on I would have to re-install the x4s with power on again, that's annoying, why the inspire 2 doesn't keep the configuration in it's internet memory. Why is it stated in the x4s manual that you should power off before installation, is this a mistake from DJI? Opinions from Inspire 2 and x4s owners would be very much appreciated.

Hey Videobug. Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your X4S. On ours, we have also only installed it while the aircraft is powered off.

Thank you all for your feedbacks, I forgot to mention something very strange about the instructions for installing those cameras on the inspire2, when I mention "those cameras" I mean the x4s as well the x5s" the instructions are different for the x5s, for if you check on page 7 of the Inspire 2 user manual (published on 2017.03) from their web site, it's mentioned "Mounting the Zenmuse x5s to the aircraft powering off not required " So if the x5s could me mounted with power on, why the x4s couldn't be? You must admit it's confusing!Numériser1.jpg

I turn mine on 5 times to take it out of storage. Then shut it off pushing the button twice while holding the second click. (Keeping it in take off mode) then install my x4s. Then hit the button twice again while holding it the second time. If I get confused and hit it 5 times with he cam installed, the cam does nothing because it thinks I wanna store it with the cam on.

My experience.

Reactions: Advexure
I turn mine on 5 times to take it out of storage. Then shut it off pushing the button twice while holding the second click. (Keeping it in take off mode) then install my x4s. Then hit the button twice again while holding it the second time. If I get confused and hit it 5 times with he cam installed, the cam does nothing because it thinks I wanna store it with the cam on.

My experience.
Hello and thank you for your suggestion. I've tried as explained and it work, but unfortunately I don't get a video return on my tablet (DJI go) and no video from the fpv camera!! very strange! If I mount the camera (x4s) when the craft is powered on, everything works right. As anyone else ever have that problem?

I've never had that issue unless i accidentally turn the unit on by pressing 5-6 times (landing/storage mode). With the unit off, in the landing position, install the camera. Then turn the unit on by pressing the on button twice, while holding it down on the second press. The cam should do its "dance" and you should get video. I have never had issues with the fpv camera feed tho.

Hello again,
I've retried using your suggestion, and everything worked fine, but another problem came on, after shutting down the craft I've removed the camera and put everything aside for a few days, then this morning I decided to use the inspire 2 to take some video clips, but unfortunately I've never been able to install my x4s, for the socket of the gimbal on the craft is no more aligned with the red dot, so the camera socket wouldn't fit , for the white dot on the camera gimbal couldn't be aligned with the red dot gimbal on the craft. (see picture) Would you know on how to solve this problem?

Attachments

• DSCN4739.JPG
    DSCN4739.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 21
simply press the camera mount release button and use your fingers to very gently turn the gimbal mount to align properly again - the mount should have the two pins at the front and back with the electronic contacts aligned side-to-side.

It sometimes moves out of alignment when mounting or dismounting the gimbal mount cap - especially if you don't get the pins into the two holes in the cap.

Tanks so much,
Glad there's so many knowledgeable peoples on this forum, you almost save my life, at least a lot of figuring out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44