Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Announce changes to NFZ

"Unlocking will require a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI will neither collect nor store this information, and the service will be free."

Wow. So there won't be any checks to ensure someone is certified in any capacity in order to remove the NFZs. Sign me up. Glad I can fly over my local stadiums again (not when there's a TFR of course...).

Wow. So there won't be any checks to ensure someone is certified in any capacity in order to remove the NFZs. Sign me up. Glad I can fly over my local stadiums again (not when there's a TFR of course...).
Read again.
"The unlock function will not be available for sensitive national-security locations such as Washington, D.C. or other prohibited areas."
By prohibited areas i am sure they mean airports. So in other words we just have another step to be able to fly where we want and all the NFZs will still be in place. The login only removes restrictions that we dont currently have.

Read again.
"The unlock function will not be available for sensitive national-security locations such as Washington, D.C. or other prohibited areas."
By prohibited areas i am sure they mean airports. So in other words we just have another step to be able to fly where we want and all the NFZs will still be in place. The login only removes restrictions that we dont currently have.
I think prohibited areas would include military no fly zones, the Mexican boarder, and all TFRs (ie stadiums, Disney parks, VIP movements, military training exercises, etc.) They could probably also lock out prisons/detention facilities in the future but probably since they are relying on Airmap.

I guess we are both making assumptions. Mine is that airports will not be geofenced. Your's that they still will be. I guess I'll just wait until December when the program is launched to know for sure.

Edit: I just came across this article which has better explanation than the one linked above.
DJI is removing mandatory no-fly zones from its drones
Sounds like airports will be unlockable. He mentions DC, prisons, and nuclear power plants as examples of permanent NFZs.

Last edited:
I think prohibited areas would include military no fly zones, the Mexican boarder, and all TFRs (ie stadiums, Disney parks, VIP movements, military training exercises, etc.) They could probably also lock out prisons/detention facilities in the future but probably since they are relying on Airmap.

I guess we are both making assumptions. Mine is that airports will not be geofenced. Your's that they still will be. I guess I'll just wait until December when the program is launched to know for sure.

Edit: I just came across this article which has better explanation than the one linked above.
DJI is removing mandatory no-fly zones from its drones
Sounds like airports will be unlockable. He mentions DC, prisons, and nuclear power plants as examples of permanent NFZs.
Wow i am super happy to be proved wrong. (as long as the story is legit). The only problem i see is that now every Phantom owner can have the same rights as people that are using these things legally and commercially in their respective countries making for more chance that all of us will be further restricted in the future by some bonehead flying into a real aircraft.

"Unlocking will require a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI will neither collect nor store this information, and the service will be free."

Sounds like a first step towards a subscription based service.

Speculation on my part follows...
Next year you will be charged for this "service." They are going to say the charge is to defray the costs of maintaining the database. This has sucker written all over it. At least we heard about it in advance. This is why I don't update anymore.

Reactions: m00se
Q: I usually fly without an Internet-connected device. How will I use the system?
We are working on an approach for our customers who do not have Internet service at the flight location.

That's a little disappointing. With DJI's track record, it'll likely be several months after release before they come up with an approach. Maybe they could make it so you just tap the NFZ while connected to wifi and it will remain unlocked for 24 hours or something. Wouldn't solve the problem for people who might be traveling and don't have access to wifi everywhere they go but it's something.

Reactions: Gary E
Looking at the data provider, AirMap, website makes plenty reference to the US FAA and no other countries.
Yeah nothing in Canada. They don't even show major airports. Their web site is always super slow to load for me so i hope that doesn't translate into the system for DJI Go.

The problem I can see with noflyzone.org is that anyone can add an address and get flight restrictions blocked. Take for example, I have just entered my old house address and its now confirmed its a NFZ, even though I have not lived there for 20 years! It is open to abuse I'm sure of it.

In 2 years time, maybe less, large parts of countries will be NFZ, with people willy nilly just adding houses or even multiple houses.

Just my 2p worth

Reactions: Gary E
The problem I can see with noflyzone.org is that anyone can add an address and get flight restrictions blocked. Take for example, I have just entered my old house address and its now confirmed its a NFZ, even though I have not lived there for 20 years! It is open to abuse I'm sure of it.

In 2 years time, maybe less, large parts of countries will be NFZ, with people willy nilly just adding houses or even multiple houses.

Just my 2p worth
Count me in.I'm sick of all these drones.Especially at my house.:mad: Oops now I can't do any testflight at all.;);)

noflyzone.org has nothing to do with this. Their service is currently a gimmick. The DJI geofencing service will be provided by Airmap. Civilians can't add NFZs to Airmap. You should check out their service. It's a great interface.
AirMap.io

Edit: removed some incorrect info about who can/can't create TFRs.

Last edited:
This must be what The Editor was referring to in his post from a few days back.
Override of DJI No-Fly Zones - UPDATE | DJI Inspire Forum

I read through the FAQ and do not understand how this DJI account verification would allow the operator to be identified in case of a mishap where the operator is potentially liable. There is no mentioning of the serial number to be recorded with the DJI account or a tail number system. Say someone flies his inspire into a stadium, how would DJI know who it was and turn over only that person's information to the authority? Does the "unlocking" create some sort of unique identifier for each craft or operator? If so, how?

I read through the FAQ and do not understand how this DJI account verification would allow the operator to be identified in case of a mishap where the operator is potentially liable. There is no mentioning of the serial number to be recorded with the DJI account or a tail number system. Say someone flies his inspire into a stadium, how would DJI know who it was and turn over only that person's information to the authority? Does the "unlocking" create some sort of unique identifier for each craft or operator? If so, how?

The following are my assumptions:
Since it isn't a global unlock, but only an unlock of the NFZ you are attempting to enter or arm within, the system will log that you have requested to fly in this particular area. My guess is this will also log your aircraft serial number in the background. You don't need to provide them with this to authorize your account since the app can already read the serial number of the craft when they're connected.

With all of this, they will know the operator, the craft serial number, where you are flying (by the NFZ you unlocked), and the time when you are flying.

In the event something bad happens and law enforcement are investigating, DJI's verification partner can provide them with this information. Even without your aircraft serial number, they will have enough information for law enforcement to consider you a person of interest.

EDIT: This FAQ Q&A explains it:
Q: Are you going to turn over my information to the government?

In general, not unless there is a specific reason to. In the event of an aviation safety or law enforcement investigation that compels us to disclose information, our verification partner may provide information about the credit card or mobile phone number used to verify the DJI account that unlocked an Authorization zone at the location, date, and time in question.

Last edited:
Sorry for asking this again but will this let us fly beyond the current set alt. Limit also? Is that considered a NFZ as well? Thanks!

Sorry for asking this again but will this let us fly beyond the current set alt. Limit also? Is that considered a NFZ as well? Thanks!
There's no mention of this changing the flight altitude. Safe to assume that will be unchanged.
Out of curiosity, why are you interested in flying at such high altitude. I don't know what jurisdiction you fly under but I can't imagine it's easy to get permission to fly so high.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44