Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Battery Pack Shortcomings

Reaction score
I just need to lament one more time on this topic.

The DJI pack cells are LiHV cells, meaning they are able to take charge safely up to 4.35V per cell.

But they are low C rated (discharge) unfortunately, which while dramatically reducing weight, is one of their fundamental shortcomings.

In less than perfect operating conditions, or with any flaw in the cells themselves, or with unbalanced cell voltage, a voltage sag induced by temperature (hi or low outside the perfect 20C - 40C "Goldilocks Zone") and/or extra load (X5 camera, high speed maneuvers etc), can result in catastrophe, as we've seen reported many times here and elsewhere.

Their low discharge rate, coupled with the FW bugs, extra load of the Pro and other factors has resulted in a very thin margin of error should a voltage sag occur.

Hence the community drive to find alternatives and add redundancy to the DJI packs. (Battery Mod Info)

DJI really needs to add an additional level of redundancy (6S3P vs 6S2P for example) and bump the C rating on the cells.

The current situation is killing Inspire's.

Thank you for listening :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea!!! For now, I like you am using extra packs in order to have some redundancy. I would love to see a hex version of the Inspire! I believe the sales would be out of this world. At least we would have redundancy in the motor area of things. The battery improvement is still something that has me interested.

Reactions: damoncooper
Sounds like a great idea!!! For now, I like you am using extra packs in order to have some redundancy. I would love to see a hex version of the Inspire! I believe the sales would be out of this world. At least we would have redundancy in the motor area of things. The battery improvement is still something that has me interested.

Yeah, hex would be interesting, or an octo. If they used eight motors and redesigned the landing gear and feet and added dual-battery redundancy they might be able to keep much of the basic design they currently have.

Yeah, hex would be interesting, or an octo. If they used eight motors and redesigned the landing gear and feet they might be able to keep much of the design they currently have.
They already do make these, they are called the S900 and S1000, LOL

Hardly RTF aircraft and the technical expertise required to properly build and tune the SXXX solutions and their size, cost and bulk are prohibitive for many folks.

Last edited:
Been reading with interest your battery mod treads...:cool:
Decided for me... a dual battery Matrice is one way to address the 'cold' battery issue...
Starting down the path to add one to my fleet...

But... Got another idea... I'll throw it out for thought... o_O

What if the guts of a Matrice were transplanted into a bigger Quad...
Add like 2 more batteries (4 total)
Put a X5 gimbal mount on it... just cause you could...
Size the frame, motors and such to haul the 4 batts plus a modest payload...
6S8P... 22800 mAh (w.4xTB48's)

Hmmmmm... :oops:

Last edited:
Been reading with interest your battery mod treads...:cool:
Decided for me... a dual battery Matrice is one way to address the 'cold' battery issue...
Starting down the path to add one to my fleet...

But... Got another idea... I'll throw it out for thought... o_O

What if the guts of a Matrice were transplanted into a bigger Quad...
Add like 2 more batteries (4 total)
Put a X5 gimbal mount on it... just cause you could...
Size the frame, motors and such to haul the 4 batts plus a modest payload...
6S8P... 22800 mAh (w.4xTB48's)

Hmmmmm... :oops:

Seems like a lot of work :). Just add an extra battery to the Inspire. Simple!

I looked into the Matrice wiring and such with my GoogleFu...:p
Looks like DJI is using something besides standard control wiring between the N1 and the ESC's... may be two way network comm
Forget that... :eek:

They already do make these, they are called the S900 and S1000, LOL
not really. the onse you talk about are round type costruction and a pain to balance and make out front and back. with the "H" form you have much more space and it is way easier to balance. -so not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not really. the onse you talk about are round type costruction and a pain to balance and make out front and back. with the "H" form you have much more space and it is way easier to balance. -so not the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah so, neither you nor Damon caught that it was a joke. Yes, bring on the hex or octo H copter.

Hello everybody I have some extra batteryies and it turns out its not working the way I intended.Here is the problem after flight I get no extra flight time and aux batteries ate still full charge.Now I have s4 x2 5200 lipo and another set lihv heard that the voltage is not same or something like that I got this free so I dont wory bout $ but like to use them. anyone have idea what to do here , im not using clip the setup came with oreginal dji battery with 4 wires so you could conect 2 sets of batteries also the aux batteries are set up together so 2 x5200 would conect to only 1 plug of the dji battery and I gues I could conect second set to the other plug but I thing would be to heavy so I only tested with 1 set so far.Bird does fly beter with lihv set beter I mean feels stronger and less duckloaded but still no extended time and batteryies look full charge after flyght .These are multistar s4 if anyone can help me with this problem would be super .And yes all the batteries apear to be new .

Hello everybody I have some extra batteryies and it turns out its not working the way I intended.Here is the problem after flight I get no extra flight time and aux batteries ate still full charge.Now I have s4 x2 5200 lipo and another set lihv heard that the voltage is not same or something like that I got this free so I dont wory bout $ but like to use them. anyone have idea what to do here , im not using clip the setup came with oreginal dji battery with 4 wires so you could conect 2 sets of batteries also the aux batteries are set up together so 2 x5200 would conect to only 1 plug of the dji battery and I gues I could conect second set to the other plug but I thing would be to heavy so I only tested with 1 set so far.Bird does fly beter with lihv set beter I mean feels stronger and less duckloaded but still no extended time and batteryies look full charge after flyght .These are multistar s4 if anyone can help me with this problem would be super .And yes all the batteries apear to be new .
You mean 4s battery? There's only 3 styles of battery packs you can use on the inspire 1. Three 2s packs wired in series, two3s packs wired in series and the third is a 6s pack wired parallel. A 4s high voltage pack is 15.2 volts nominal. The inspire runs off of 22.2/22.8 volts.

Christ, I hope you're lot connecting a 4S battery to the 6S Inspire battery! You're effectively shoving 22.2V from the Inspire battery in to a 15.2V LiPo. I'm surprised the 4S battery didn't explode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669