Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI CrystalSky Monitor Owner Discussion by Advexure

If I had to venture a guess, whoever is manufacturing the CrystalSky monitors wouldn't do it at this price point if HDMI in was included because it would undercut all of the other high bright monitors out there(which generally sell for more than 2K). They are more than likely also producing the higher priced ones as well, so DJI probably sacrificed HDMI in for a lower price point.

Reactions: Advexure
At this point in time, all information leads to a no answer, unfortunately the CrystalSky does not have HDMI input capability and does not have to ability to function as an external monitor. Honestly, it is a huge letdown. Tons of steadicam operators and also Ronin and future Ronin 2 operators have looked at the CrystalSky as their external monitor but unfortunately no dice for an external monitor. I have no idea if the HDMI Output also would have the ability to input at some point (if this possibly could be solely a software limitation at this point)

This is one feature I have been shocked about and was even more shocked when we saw the Ronin 2 at the release event with non-DJI monitors being demoed on it. You would definitely expect a monitor at the CrystalSky's price point to have HDMI in.

I appreciate you bringing this question up here on the forum. I'll have some conversation with the DJI guys down the street and see if they can provide any further input.

Hmmm... the CrystalSky has a USB-C port and DJI uses it to input video for the DJO Go 4 app for their compatible R/Cs Unless DJI has completely deviated from the USB-C standard there is no reason that you could not input video via USB-C for external sources.. HDMI to USB-C cables are readily available..

For ultra high resolution digital video, HDMI is basically a dead standard at this point. Even HDMI 2.0 has serious limitations with low latency high res digital video. I certainly can understand why DJI chose USB-C as the input standard for their CrystalSky product. Why waste time and engineering resources ( ie $$$ ) to support an already outdated digital video standard?

Last edited:
Most USB-C to HDMI cables I've seen are for outputting to HDMI from USB-C, it is much like the situation with Displayport, you can go from Displayport to HDMI with just a cable, but you can't go from HDMI to Displayport without an active convertor.

Similarly on the USB-C devices that run Go 4, they are not receiving video through that port, they are getting data which the app converts to a video stream.

The Crystalsky devices are just another Android box and sadly very, very few of them have HDMI inputs.

Most USB-C to HDMI cables I've seen are for outputting to HDMI from USB-C, it is much like the situation with Displayport, you can go from Displayport to HDMI with just a cable, but you can't go from HDMI to Displayport without an active convertor.

Similarly on the USB-C devices that run Go 4, they are not receiving video through that port, they are getting data which the app converts to a video stream.

The Crystalsky devices are just another Android box and sadly very, very few of them have HDMI inputs.

Unless the manufacturer imposes limitations by deviating from the USB-C standard there are no such digital video input or output limitations with USB-C like existed with prior digital interfaces. The USB-C standard also eliminates the need for active conversion that exist with DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI , and HDMI (MHL). That is why most manufacturers are switching to the USB-C standard instated of those legacy connections. For example my laptop has a docking station that only uses a single USB-C connection between it and the laptop. However it still supports a wired gigabit Ethernet connection , two monitors, a high resolution webcam and 8 USB-3 ports all on.the docking station. I have no doubt unless DJI engineered some weird limitation in their implementation of the USB-C standard that the USB-C connection on the CrystalSky supports BOTH Input and output of digital video streams. Otherwise they could have saved themselves a lot of money and simply designed it with a HDMI 2.0 port

Unless the manufacturer imposes limitations by deviating from the USB-C standard there are no such digital video input or output limitations with USB-C like existed with prior digital interfaces. The USB-C standard also eliminates the need for active conversion that exist with DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI , and HDMI (MHL).

I'm aware of the USB-C Alt Mode support for HDMI 1.4b output, but I've not seen any details on support for HDMI input.

I'm not saying you are wrong just that I've not found anything describing it or for that matter any devices using it, so if you have a link to a description I'd be most grateful...

I'm aware of the USB-C Alt Mode support for HDMI 1.4b output, but I've not seen any details on support for HDMI input.

I'm not saying you are wrong just that I've not found anything describing it or for that matter any devices using it, so if you have a link to a description I'd be most grateful...

Every major OEM is currently implementing USB-C in their current generation products so I don't know how you and not know of any devices using it? For example, the Samsung Galaxy 8 and 2017 8000 and 9000 series Samsung LED TVs , the latest Apple MacBook Pro , 2017 Dell Latitude Laptops and Ultrasharp monitors, all use USB-C as a primary video connection port for input and output of digital video.

Here is the abbreviated USB-C standard specification on Wikipedia that explains USB-C . USB-C - Wikipedia While USB-C alt mode can be implemented with HDMI 1.0 it is not necessary for HDMI 2.0

Sorry for the continued derail Advexure...

Every major OEM is currently implementing USB-C in their current generation products so I don't know how you and not know of any devices using it?

No, I said I was unaware of any USB-C devices offering HDMI input over USB-C...

You can do many and wonderful things when you have USB-C at both ends of the cable, you can also do a lot of things with USB-C on your source device, including HDMI out.

What is not in the spec at the moment or available on any USB-C equipped device I have seen is the ability to use an HDMI port device as a source and plug that directly into a USB-C equipped device as the sink.

This is why I do not think it is right to suggest that DJI have done something wrong if they cannot take an HDMI input into a USB-C port...

Also note that much of what you are talking about requires USB 3.1 and the port on the Crystalsky device is USB 2.0 HS...

So no, we should not be expecting HDMI input to Crystalsky to be a possibility using the USB-C port...

So it's officially past mid June now....over a month later after the initial estimated release date since NAB....any further word?

Heard they are working on a crystalsky 2 pro.... hence the delay ..... typical dji[emoji849]

Reactions: smoak5
DJI HQ is looking at the end of the month for all CrystalSky units. Fingers are crossed...

:mad:

so ill adjust my expectations for late july at this rate. havent been teased this hard since the wife's sister stayed the weekend. technology pains.

Any News? Available on DJI's Website. Just the small version

"Estimated to ship 5-7 business days after payment confirmation" On DJI Website.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla