Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

DJI Focus system

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Phil-RCGeeks, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Phil-RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

Hi guys, just to let you know...
    We received first stock of the new DJI Focus system yesterday!

IMG_4647.JPG
    I've been playing around with it today and am in the process of writing up an initial review of it on our blog, should have it up and complete by tomorrow.

Either way, I'm planning to do some field tests with it over the weekend to put it into action.
    I'll keep you posted with the results on the blog and in this thread!

Let me know if you have any questions or things you want me to test and I'll see what I can do.

Scotflieger likes this.
  2. Phil-RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

3. RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

Video now added to the blog:

4. Cyclops

Very interesting review and I agree with Phil's conclusions.

The only way I could see this working with an Inspire would be with a 3 person crew consisting of pilot, camera operator and focus puller. On a film set the focus puller works closely with the camera operator having rehearsed the parameters of the shot. And for this unit to function in the aerial domain, outside of static shots, a similar workflow would need to be adopted.

I myself would question how useful it would be to work with shallow depth of field in aerial cinematography, there is so much going on visually already!

5. Kilrah

Absolutely useless at least at the usual FLs used for aerials... If you start playing with long lenses, why not.

6. Phil-RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

Agreed.
    But if you can get a focus pull nailed down every now and then, the cinematography value will rocket!

7. Phil-RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

Kilrah,
    I hear you, it's definitly more noticable with longer focal lengths.
    I tested it out over the weekend, shooting with both the Olypus 45mm and the stock DJI 15mm (would have shot only using the 45mm but it was too windy most of the time and my cam-op had to concentrate on focusing). Not the best of tests as focus pulling is new to us but here it is....

8. Phil-RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

9. Kilrah

Nice, yep it does become useful if not necessary with a 45mm. My concern is that the resolution/latency of the LB is gonna make it very hard to manually focus "visually". That marking strip will be particularly useful.

10. Phil-RCGeeks

Approved Vendor

Indeed, as long as the focus puller can see and accurately judge how far the subject is from the camera.

11. trevor king

as long as the focus puller can see and accurately judge how far the subject is from the camera

i use the dji focus ALL the time especially with my 35-100mm lens i use for inspections
    i have just updated firmware on it so as to use the added zoom facility with my 14-42mm but so far cannot get it to zoom via the dji focus not the end of the world be nice if it worked still this is to be expected from this crowd take your money and run
    workaround will be hold remote right back button while using scroll wheel does the trick