Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Focus system

Reaction score
Hi guys, just to let you know...
We received first stock of the new DJI Focus system yesterday!

IMG_4647.JPG
I've been playing around with it today and am in the process of writing up an initial review of it on our blog, should have it up and complete by tomorrow.

Either way, I'm planning to do some field tests with it over the weekend to put it into action.
I'll keep you posted with the results on the blog and in this thread!

Let me know if you have any questions or things you want me to test and I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: Scotflieger
Very interesting review and I agree with Phil's conclusions.

The only way I could see this working with an Inspire would be with a 3 person crew consisting of pilot, camera operator and focus puller. On a film set the focus puller works closely with the camera operator having rehearsed the parameters of the shot. And for this unit to function in the aerial domain, outside of static shots, a similar workflow would need to be adopted.

I myself would question how useful it would be to work with shallow depth of field in aerial cinematography, there is so much going on visually already!

I myself would question how useful it would be to work with shallow depth of field in aerial cinematography
Absolutely useless at least at the usual FLs used for aerials... If you start playing with long lenses, why not.

Very interesting review and I agree with Phil's conclusions.

The only way I could see this working with an Inspire would be with a 3 person crew consisting of pilot, camera operator and focus puller. On a film set the focus puller works closely with the camera operator having rehearsed the parameters of the shot. And for this unit to function in the aerial domain, outside of static shots, a similar workflow would need to be adopted.

I myself would question how useful it would be to work with shallow depth of field in aerial cinematography, there is so much going on visually already!
Agreed.
But if you can get a focus pull nailed down every now and then, the cinematography value will rocket!

Absolutely useless at least at the usual FLs used for aerials... If you start playing with long lenses, why not.
Kilrah,
I hear you, it's definitly more noticable with longer focal lengths.
I tested it out over the weekend, shooting with both the Olypus 45mm and the stock DJI 15mm (would have shot only using the 45mm but it was too windy most of the time and my cam-op had to concentrate on focusing). Not the best of tests as focus pulling is new to us but here it is....

Nice, yep it does become useful if not necessary with a 45mm. My concern is that the resolution/latency of the LB is gonna make it very hard to manually focus "visually". That marking strip will be particularly useful.

Nice, yep it does become useful if not necessary with a 45mm. My concern is that the resolution/latency of the LB is gonna make it very hard to manually focus "visually". That marking strip will be particularly useful.
Indeed, as long as the focus puller can see and accurately judge how far the subject is from the camera.

as long as the focus puller can see and accurately judge how far the subject is from the camera

i use the dji focus ALL the time especially with my 35-100mm lens i use for inspections
i have just updated firmware on it so as to use the added zoom facility with my 14-42mm but so far cannot get it to zoom via the dji focus not the end of the world be nice if it worked still this is to be expected from this crowd take your money and run
workaround will be hold remote right back button while using scroll wheel does the trick

Hi guys, did some one found a practical solution to mount the focus remote to the slave RC like it's promoted for I2?
Our slave controller is set to control the pitch and pan with the right stick only and the left hand of the camera operator stays free, so it looks practical to us to have the focus mounted on the side. The main issue I'm seeing is that the original I1 remote doesn't have any device mounting fittings. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

Somehow I've missed this part accessory: DJI Remote Controller Accessories Mount but the price of 99,00 € is a bit insane
also will need: Inspire 2 - DJI Focus Handwheel Remote Controller Stand for 59,00 € to complete the mount system.

Honestly 160,00 € for those two metal mounts cost as much as one new "hitech" battery!? Did somebody heard about alternative way to mount the remote focus to the I1 remote?
Welcome to owning DJI products... most of you people should be grateful you can even afford these things... until a few years ago you'd have to spend just as much and build it.

You have to pay to play with the big boys, and this isn't expensive at all.... go try to buy REAL camera equipment.

Welcome to owning DJI products... most of you people should be grateful you can even afford these things... until a few years ago you'd have to spend just as much and build it.

You have to pay to play with the big boys, and this isn't expensive at all.... go try to buy REAL camera equipment.

I don't find you'r comment useful in any way, so please don't waste the time of the people reading this forum if you don't have the answer!
Everyone with suggestion or solution to the question is welcome but such a philosophical statements are useless.

So far it looks that I can get one of those osmo universal mounts and attach it with custom brackets to the metal handle of the inspire's remote, then attach the focus on the other side (the rosette). This way I'll not have the nice weight balanced solution that DJI offers but if it works it will be a bargain for only 25,00 €.
I guess there could be another cheap solution, looking forward for suggestions on that matter. Thanks!

For the people who are looking for similar solution. I bought the OSMO Universal Mount, 5mm thick 1m aluminium stick from Home Depot and two 6x20mm screws. It took me about a hour to drill the holes and cut a 12 cm piece from the aluminium stick with a dremel tool. It's very easy and quick to install and remove, holds very well and firmly. I'm really happy so far, overall it cost me 28€+5€+1€.

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0006.jpg IMG_0007.jpg IMG_0008.jpg IMG_9993.jpg IMG_9998.jpg

Last edited:
Nice and Cheap Solution Niki!

Only downside could be, that it gets side heavy due to the DJI Focus. Maybe you could try with longer aluminum bars, that reach out left and right over the remote, drill holes in it and use the dji shoulder strap to get it balanced?

EDIT:
Ah, no. Then the Remote would flip down i guess.

Just got my 45mm lens. Just wondering about the getting the DJI focus system or just the DJI focus hand wheel? There is over €600 in the difference.

Nice and Cheap Solution Niki!

Only downside could be, that it gets side heavy due to the DJI Focus. Maybe you could try with longer aluminum bars, that reach out left and right over the remote, drill holes in it and use the dji shoulder strap to get it balanced?

EDIT:
Ah, no. Then the Remote would flip down i guess.

With the original DJI focus mount the same effect is gonna happen. Because of that they are offering additional harness strap with two hooks, where the first hook is clipped on the remote while the second on a hole close to the focus wheel. I'll probably try something like that.
DJI Focus mount.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan