Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI GO now runs on an old Ipad2

Reaction score
Funny, but after upgrading my old iPad2 to IOS9 I suddenly noticed the download icon for GO in the app store. I just tried it and guess what, it works. Be it with 0.5 sec lag in the video.
Guess DJI forgot to put the Ipad2 on the denied machines list...for now.
Autopilot also runs fine and already did with IOS8, with the same short lag in the video.
At least it could function as a backup maybe....

Reactions: Mauro573
I don't think you understand what determines whether or not a device can run a piece of software. Dji isn't randomly adding devices to a mysterious denied list so the go app won't work on them. As clearly evidenced by your observation that there is a half second delay in video it is obvious that the older outdated slower hardware isn't suited to making it a desirable tablet to use for live streaming video while flying. Prior to the improvements in both the newer app and ios versions it likely didn't have the cpu power available to run the app to a usable degree if at all.

I don't think you understand what determines whether or not a device can run a piece of software. Dji isn't randomly adding devices to a mysterious denied list so the go app won't work on them. As clearly evidenced by your observation that there is a half second delay in video it is obvious that the older outdated slower hardware isn't suited to making it a desirable tablet to use for live streaming video while flying. Prior to the improvements in both the newer app and ios versions it likely didn't have the cpu power available to run the app to a usable degree if at all.
You're wrong.

Apple does have a denied machines list. My Ipad2 couldn't download the Pilot or Go app and I alweays got the 'this Ipad is not supported for this app' message.

Why is this message gone now?

By the way, by simply removing your specific old mac from the hidden denied machines list you can even upgrade unsupported macs to the latest OS. I did that last week and upgraded an old white plastic Macbook to El Capitain. Apple said it couldn't be done.

Same thing at the time with my Apple Logic version that wasn't supported in the next OS. I bought Logig only a year before upgrading. Apple demanded me to buy the upgrade to Logic8 after upgrading to Lion. 199$....I simply edited the denied software list and removed the Logic entry, and voila.....Logic worked like a charm again.

I was not advertising the use of the old iPad2, just telling people that this Go version runs on it.

If you have a problem with that, fine.

You're wrong.

Apple does have a denied machines list. My Ipad2 couldn't download the Pilot or Go app and I alweays got the 'this Ipad is not supported for this app' message.

Why is this message gone now?

By the way, by simply removing your specific old mac from the hidden denied machines list you can even upgrade unsupported macs to the latest OS. I did that last week and upgraded an old white plastic Macbook to El Capitain. Apple said it couldn't be done.

Same thing at the time with my Apple Logic version that wasn't supported in the next OS. I bought Logig only a year before upgrading. Apple demanded me to buy the upgrade to Logic8 after upgrading to Lion. 199$....I simply edited the denied software list and removed the Logic entry, and voila.....Logic worked like a charm again.

I was not advertising the use of the old iPad2, just telling people that this Go version runs on it.

If you have a problem with that, fine.

How well do these "denied" machines run after updating? My guess is slowly and not very well, hence the reason they are "denied". I could be wrong I suppose, we all know Apple is all about the money and would rather you buy a new device than be able to upgrade your old one with more memory/storage but I find it hard to believe they block apps from installing on older slower devices that can run them properly for the sole purpose of forcing people to buy newer devices if they want to use the app.

How well do these "denied" machines run after updating? My guess is slowly and not very well, hence the reason they are "denied". I could be wrong I suppose, we all know Apple is all about the money and would rather you buy a new device than be able to upgrade your old one with more memory/storage but I find it hard to believe they block apps from installing on older slower devices that can run them properly for the sole purpose of forcing people to buy newer devices if they want to use the app.
The old MacBook is smoother than ever before. Just as we saw with Win10, Apple Removed a lot of unnecessary overhead. My old duo core Dell CPUs notebook also runs better than when it was new with Vista.
The iPad2 works, ok but not great. However, as a second device it still might serve its purpose. And for the I1 simulator it provides a 10" screen, which runs fine by the way.
I agree with you that DJI would ban devices only for performance hence safety. And I don;t want to advice anybody to use old devices as main pilot screens.

There are denied machines lists in Apple softwares. Do some research and you find out.

Last edited:
The old MacBook is smoother than ever before. Just as we saw with Win10, Apple Removed a lot of unnecessary overhead. My old duo core Dell CPUs notebook also runs better than when it was new with Vista.
The iPad2 works, ok but not great. However, as a second device it still might serve its purpose. And for the I1 simulator it provides a 10" screen, which runs fine by the way.
I agree with you that DJI would ban devices only for performance hence safety. And I don;t want to advice anybody to use old devices as main pilot screens.

There are denied machines lists in Apple softwares. Do some research and you find out.
I don't use Apple, I prefer my devices to be more functional than Apple can offer and being upgradable is always a plus as well. Not familiar with these denied machines lists you refer to and never heard of such a thing. Windows machines stop providing software updates eventually when it's too outdated to be worthwhile continuing support it but as long as the hardware can run it I've never heard of anything being denied from use on Windows.

I don't use Apple, I prefer my devices to be more functional than Apple can offer and being upgradable is always a plus as well. Not familiar with these denied machines lists you refer to and never heard of such a thing. Windows machines stop providing software updates eventually when it's too outdated to be worthwhile continuing support it but as long as the hardware can run it I've never heard of anything being denied from use on Windows.

Windows never actually denied machines if the hardware still would run it. It runs or not. If not, the hardware is just not capable anymore or some driver is not updated by a specific vendor. But as I mentioned, the trend is to make the OS's leaner and meaner instead of richer and fatter. That means that old pc's that were sluggish with windows 7 or 8, can in a lot of cases now run windows 10 quite ok, (Win10 even gives the option to emulate older OS's so you can still use some old drivers, giving you an extra couple of years of usage of your investment. I guess that trend has begun after the broader acceptance of open source OS's like Linux that runs happily even on a 35$ Raspberry Pi.

Back on topic:

The ipad2 is indeed 1/2 second slow on the camera screen, but I played with the simulator for a while and I must say, on that 10" screen it's nice.

Not that important but just nice, if you happen to still have one around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo