Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI has confirmed that the aircrafts arms should not be loose or moving...

This is directed to Tahoe Ed in particular but I would appreciate others weighing in...I have a precision ground rod with CW threads on one end and CCW threads on the other, used in balancing P2 props...Do the motors on the Inspire have the same threading as on the P2 series? If not, how might we balance the Inspire props?

I have a precision ground rod with CW threads on one end and CCW threads on the other, used in balancing P2 props...Do the motors on the Inspire have the same threading as on the P2 series?

I have a similar rod and no, the Inspire motor threads are smaller. Cheers Mark

I have been on to DJI about this issue, sending videos on three occasions since last Thursday and every time they say that they'll get back to me in an hour. I've still had no response..

I only notice the issue when the gear is up and on the right hand arm, but it was immediately apparent. Since seeing that this is now a common issue, and not having any one of authority advise me on what to do, I have decided to ground myself until it is resolved.

Seriously considering returning it unless I get a suitable explanation, fix and some kind of compensation.. Not impressed!

OK..... Let me summarize after reading responses to my videos and then speaking with DJI myself Regarding the Movement in the arms of the Inspire.

I have also spoke by phone with more then 4 people who have had the same problem as me.

First, please use common sense.... Should there be a loose piece which is attached vibrating motors? At the LEAST that would be a design flaw.

Evidence:

1.) I don't have an awesome camera like our friend above, but my Inspire behaved exactly like that. As soon as I made my bolts on the arms Snug.... It never did that again... I have had 7 or 8 flights.. Perfect...

2.) My friend Freddy and I met at an airfield.. We put ours side by side, I felt his Inspire and it was tight like a tiger! No movement at all!!! his runs perfect

3.) Many people have reported that one side is tight and the other is not. Some people report both sides are lose. Some report both to be tight.

DJI Response-

1.) Many of us have evidence of the chat line telling us that our warrantys would be honored and to go ahead and tighten the bolts, this was in the beginning of this discovery.

2.) After a while, DJI changed their tune and started telling people that it was normal and not to trust some guy on the internet.

3.)Evan from the local DJI america, tells me that the official response from DJI is not to break the seal but that it was great that I was able to fix my shaking vibration problem. He then said in the future to wait and just send it back to California for their engineers to check it out.

Conclusion: This is an oversight in quality. There is no way to argue that there is no consistency in the tightness or non tightness of this component of the landing gear. My Inspire flies perfect since I made the adjustment myself. I think DJI does not want us making or own repairs which is why they have handled things the way they have. Notice the service after 50 hours that has to be performed by DJI.

OK..... Let me summarize after reading responses to my videos and then speaking with DJI myself Regarding the Movement in the arms of the Inspire.

I have also spoke by phone with more then 4 people who have had the same problem as me.

First, please use common sense.... Should there be a loose piece which is attached vibrating motors? At the LEAST that would be a design flaw.

Evidence:

1.) I don't have an awesome camera like our friend above, but my Inspire behaved exactly like that. As soon as I made my bolts on the arms Snug.... It never did that again... I have had 7 or 8 flights.. Perfect...

2.) My friend Freddy and I met at an airfield.. We put ours side by side, I felt his Inspire and it was tight like a tiger! No movement at all!!! his runs perfect

3.) Many people have reported that one side is tight and the other is not. Some people report both sides are lose. Some report both to be tight.

DJI Response-

1.) Many of us have evidence of the chat line telling us that our warrantys would be honored and to go ahead and tighten the bolts, this was in the beginning of this discovery.

2.) After a while, DJI changed their tune and started telling people that it was normal and not to trust some guy on the internet.

3.)Evan from the local DJI america, tells me that the official response from DJI is not to break the seal but that it was great that I was able to fix my shaking vibration problem. He then said in the future to wait and just send it back to California for their engineers to check it out.

Conclusion: This is an oversight in quality. There is no way to argue that there is no consistency in the tightness or non tightness of this component of the landing gear. My Inspire flies perfect since I made the adjustment myself. I think DJI does not want us making or own repairs which is why they have handled things the way they have. Notice the service after 50 hours that has to be performed by DJI.
Did you say that after 50 hours you need to send it to dji for service? ? WHAT?????

Ed addressed this on the RCGroups forum. Here's the copypasta:

"...I am thinking that this has more to do with the FAA as has been perviously posted. They require a 50 hour check on the craft. If you are a hobbyist then the service decision is up to you. If you are flying commercially then you have different rules to follow."
I just joined rc groups.com but am not sure where look for info yet..would you mind pointing the way to where to look ?? Thank you. .

I think DJI does not want us making or own repairs which is why they have handled things the way they have. Notice the service after 50 hours that has to be performed by DJI.
Wanna know what the the first thing they'd check is? How loose the arms got and tighten if need be! ;)

hahaha you're probably right. I think Mark is onto something. Mine was loose, I tightened it, and the next flight was perfectly smooth. Now I don't know if the bolt helped... I have my doubts. The light was low so I could open up the shutter more. But visually... looking at the aircraft, vibration was definitely reduced. And this was in higher wind than my previous flights.

Ed addressed this on the RCGroups forum. Here's the copypasta:

"...I am thinking that this has more to do with the FAA as has been perviously posted. They require a 50 hour check on the craft. If you are a hobbyist then the service decision is up to you. If you are flying commercially then you have different rules to follow."
I am not a member yet on RC groups but want to go there to learn more as well. But this a very interesting issue. Given that the Inspire 1 can be "locked" (or at least I got that impression when the Pilot app indicated that it would be locked if I didn't upgrade the I1 firmware), will we be required to certify our aircraft is flightworthy every so many hours or else the aircraft be locked out? Sort of like getting our cars inspected. But in this case, the aircraft can be grounded remotely. Interesting paradigm.

I am not a member yet on RC groups but want to go there to learn more as well. But this a very interesting issue. Given that the Inspire 1 can be "locked" (or at least I got that impression when the Pilot app indicated that it would be locked if I didn't upgrade the I1 firmware), will we be required to certify our aircraft is flightworthy every so many hours or else the aircraft be locked out? Sort of like getting our cars inspected. But in this case, the aircraft can be grounded remotely. Interesting paradigm.

The only lock is the firmware lock. There is no 50 hour lock, only a recommendation in the Inspire Safety guidelines publication to return the Inspire to the factory after 50 hours flight time. Tahoe Ed of DJI forum support is trying to get confirmation, as noted above, as to what that means exactly.

Mark thank you for your post. I would be curious at the temperature that the 4 of you were flying at. I fly in cold temps and warm temps year round. Bouncing between Lake Tahoe and Las Vegas, I fly in both extremes.

The only lock is the firmware lock. There is no 50 hour lock, only a recommendation in the Inspire Safety guidelines publication to return the Inspire to the factory after 50 hours flight time. Tahoe Ed of DJI forum support is trying to get confirmation, as noted above, as to what that means exactly.
Quad - I recognize that there is not a firmware lock. My point was only that there COULD be a firmware lock and that is interesting. For example, if I were to apply and receive a commercial license to use my aircraft, and there was something like an aircraft maintenance check required every 50 hours, it would be pretty easy for DJI to set it up where I would HAVE to have my aircraft checked every 50 hours or risk it being locked. That is not the case for the P2 as the current firmware does not have to be up to date on the aircraft.

Why are you curious Tahoe Ed ??

We are trying to gather data to see if there is a correlation. Now that these are being tested in more varied conditions we are looking at everything which is something that you cannot do with just a little over 200 test units over 2-3 months mostly in the fall and spring in the southern hemisphere.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
We are trying to gather data to see if there is a correlation. Now that these are being tested in more varied conditions we are looking at everything which is something that you cannot do with just a little over 200 test units over 2-3 months mostly in the fall and spring in the southern hemisphere.
A correlation between what? Also how many units are out there now??

I'll bet there is at least 500 out there now. The issue to me looks like a harmonic issue. Due to something being unbalanced. Is there a thrust bearing inside the tube ? If it is designed to move then over tightening could cause a catastrophic failure mid air. And I'd probably exactly y they don't want people doing there own adjustments. Carbon fiber is a great material but can also be very fickle. I deal with it on a daily basis.

My inspire is super stable no vibration but I did notice today it was ever so slightly un level at hover. It did not affect anything days straight etc infant I flew it out to 1550 feet today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters