Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Inspire 2 & 1 battery charging in car - without an inverter

I made a short video of how i am charging my DJI Inspire 2 & 1 batteries when i am travelling around with a car and don't have an electrical outlet nearby.
Puck, I found your solution very nice, please if you don't mind, send us more details about amps and equipment ref. You used for that kind of installation.
Thanks in advance

Reactions: BOCACINE
Any chance on you selling a setup like that for TB50 charger....?..I am in.!

That's pretty slick. I thought about doing it this way, but then the DC-DC inverter I found on Digikey was $210, so I decided to just go the inverter route and picked up one at Walmart for $30 that works fine (as long as my truck is running).
I am surprised you can get away with 24V output though. I seem to recall the DJI power supply puts out 28V or thereabouts.
Also, someone told me DJI now sells a cigarette lighter adapter that connects to the I2 charger. I think it was over $100 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raphael Dahan
I finished testing my low budget 12V Inspire 2 charging solution:

It took about 2 hours to fully charge two Inspire 2 batteries off my truck battery. Was able to start the truck afterward no problem.
Not bad for a cheap solution. Faster than the Dji official charger. Using the DC-DC converter controls, I set the voltage to 26.1 and the current limit to 6.9A on the first test. I noticed the output stayed around 24 volts and went slowly up to 26 as the batteries charged. The amps varied quite a bit, dipping down to 1A then slowly climbing back up to 4 or 5A and dropping again. Despite this, the batteries charged fine (didn't get very warm.) Now I set the current limit to 5A for more consistency.

Here's the DC - DCstep up converter I used:
900W DC-DC Boost Converter 8-60V to 10-120V 15A Step Up Power Supply Module X0B7 | eBay
I like the LED display shows the volts or amps while charging. You can set the regulated voltage and current limit.

6 foot long Inspire 2 compatible 18ga power cable:
10-02226 Tensility International Corp | Cable Assemblies | DigiKey

Cigarette lighter plug 20A (optional; slower charging) set current limit to 3A.
APP-001-20AMP MPD (Memory Protection Devices) | Battery Products | DigiKey

You'll need one of these to charge the controller:
Buy Inspire 1 - Remote Controller Cable Kit
Just cut the inspire connector end and strip the wires to connect to the output.

Motorcycle jumper cables (fastest charging.) I used these, but any cables can be used with wire no larger than 10ga.
Emergency Car Battery Power Booster Cable Jumper 300 Amp 12ft 10Ga Tangle Free | eBay

I'll definitely want to install the DC-DC converter in a case at some point. Plastic would be best with proper ventilation.

This will also be able to car-charge the Inspire 1 with the right connector and the Phantom 3 if you set the voltage to 17.5.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Fair enough but considering what I paid for my setup, and no disrespect to the OP for his solution, I'll pay a bit more and know out of hand that it works. I am the first to admit that most DIY solutions are not the way I would initially go.

I'm still waiting on a charging solution to remove the charging hub. It won't let you put in more than 6.9amps. Most likely because the hub can't handle more than that, but it would be nice to at least charge each battery at 1C (4.2 amps for each battery).

I'm still waiting on a charging solution to remove the charging hub. It won't let you put in more than 6.9amps. Most likely because the hub can't handle more than that, but it would be nice to at least charge each battery at 1C (4.2 amps for each battery).
Hmm.. 6.9A is the PSU max output, not the hub max output. Hub can do 11A atleast.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieTret