Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI invests in Hasselblad; "not ready to announce"

Reaction score

An interview with the CEO of Hasselblad. DJI is a new investor, and when asked about DJI, he says (at the 21:07 mark):
Would love to do something together... There are contacts, there are discussions. I'm not sure yet that we're ready to announce. I think, let's keep the philosophy, when we're ready, let's talk. And then let's over-deliver and under-promise.

If that results into a common product, or a joint product, or a modular product, we would be more than happy to do that.

So maybe they're developing an X6DR medium-format camera for the Ronin MX/Matrice 600 platform...

An interview with the CEO of Hasselblad. DJI is a new investor, and when asked about DJI, he says (at the 21:07 mark):

So maybe they're developing an X6DR medium-format camera for the Ronin MX/Matrice 600 platform...
Unfortunately Hassy are totally clueless (and I mean REALLY clueless) when it comes to video cameras.
They are still producing products with Firewire 800 as an interface which was a protocol phased out and discontinued years ago.
I think it was a case of DJI knocked on all the big boys doors, were told where they could go and were left with Hasselblad and buying up some cheap stock, the company that has been on the brink of bankruptcy more times than Joan Collins has had husbands!

Reactions: damoncooper
Perhaps I'm being sarcastic here but this smacks of an attempt by DJI to improve there IMAGE as it relates to cameras without actually improving there cameras. As E. said, Hassy isn't renowned for there video acumen and the primary imaging tool for drones is video.

A better pairing, in my view, would be with Panasonic as Panny has lots of experience with video and M43 cameras. For full on professional work there going to use Red or similar cameras, but for most of the rest a lighter camera based on the M43 sensor is the best balance between IQ, weight and cost.

Panasonic are reported to be working on the next version of the GH series cameras and word is the GH-5 may do 6K 30fps and 4K 60fps though I've not heard the bit rates. Seems to me if they are going to even higher resolutions and frame rates they are going to have to move beyond SDXC to XQD and doing so would permit bit rates to make 6K 30fps and 4K 60fps doable.

If the GH-5 has what they appear to be working on and the bit rates are where they need to be combining that with a Matrice 600 would be killer with well over 30 minute flight times.

Brian

Perhaps I'm being sarcastic here but this smacks of an attempt by DJI to improve there IMAGE as it relates to cameras without actually improving there cameras. As E. said, Hassy isn't renowned for there video acumen and the primary imaging tool for drones is video.

A better pairing, in my view, would be with Panasonic as Panny has lots of experience with video and M43 cameras. For full on professional work there going to use Red or similar cameras, but for most of the rest a lighter camera based on the M43 sensor is the best balance between IQ, weight and cost.

Panasonic are reported to be working on the next version of the GH series cameras and word is the GH-5 may do 6K 30fps and 4K 60fps though I've not heard the bit rates. Seems to me if they are going to even higher resolutions and frame rates they are going to have to move beyond SDXC to XQD and doing so would permit bit rates to make 6K 30fps and 4K 60fps doable.

If the GH-5 has what they appear to be working on and the bit rates are where they need to be combining that with a Matrice 600 would be killer with well over 30 minute flight times.

Brian
A better pairing indeed! We can only wish.

@The Editor actually their newest camera the H6D 100MP also shoots 4k raw video and outputs video via HDMI. From first impressions it is quite good, and that is from a preproduction model.

I don't expect them to jump right into video and be as good as the arri, red etc, but they have done very well. Also, the 100MP sensors that they (phase 1 and Pentax also) is a Sony sensor, so they have very good engineering behind them.

It will be interesting to see how good their video gets once the camera is out for a while.

But yes, the FW800 is really outdated, probably laziness and wanting to save on the cost of having to replace it with usb3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla