Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI M600 Inventory Here This Friday! Testing Begins!!!

I have no plans to buy the M600 anytime soon but am anxious to know how it performs with the GH-4. I can see that the X5 camera I have with my I1 Pro was baked with limitations that are unlikely to be fixed with firmware updates, that bit rate limitations and a profound lack of coding skills as far as camera control and compression handling, and processing limitations in the hardware, I know that what I have is not likely to improve much EVER.

So, seeing a way forward with a platform that can practically use an actual good camera such as the GH-4 may be the direction I need to take in a year or so. An M600 with a Red may be the gold standard but I don't have that kind of gold so a more affordable camera like the GH-4 and hopefully the GH-5 which weighs less offering longer flight times is the way to go.

Brian

I have no plans to buy the M600 anytime soon but am anxious to know how it performs with the GH-4. I can see that the X5 camera I have with my I1 Pro was baked with limitations that are unlikely to be fixed with firmware updates, that bit rate limitations and a profound lack of coding skills as far as camera control and compression handling, and processing limitations in the hardware, I know that what I have is not likely to improve much EVER.

So, seeing a way forward with a platform that can practically use an actual good camera such as the GH-4 may be the direction I need to take in a year or so. An M600 with a Red may be the gold standard but I don't have that kind of gold so a more affordable camera like the GH-4 and hopefully the GH-5 which weighs less offering longer flight times is the way to go.

Brian
Hey Brian yes I totally understand where you're coming from and I agree with you. I also fly the X5.
I have not been able to test the GH four yet because the MX gimbal is not available yet. I do believe this bird is going to be a true game changer. I added 14 pounds of weight yesterday and did a 28 minute flight effortlessly. I have never been more impressed with any bird then I am currently with the M 600. Not because it's new and I'm excited although I am very excited. It's truly a blessing to fly be handling characteristics are many times greater then the S 1000 It has the most lifting capability of any DJI bird I have ever flown. The amount of throttle it takes to get it off the ground is almost 0. TopSpeed yesterday was it 44 mph. With zero payload I did a flight of 40 minutes. I have several units and will soon be testing the new mix gimbal as well as the X5 and X5R. Also will be using the XT on this unit Also the impression I get from the basic construction is it is a very high quality craftsmanship and has been thought out very well I'm especially happy with the redundant GPS systems and the redundant battery system. Not to forget the redundant motors. All I know I'm very impressed with this bird and it's 21 inch carbon fiber blades are like icing on the cake. If I can be of any more help please let me know

Reactions: Jem
Yeah, I knew you didn't have the stuff you need to test the GH-4 and I guess you still need to be permitted to by the FCC but if and when that gets worked out I'd love your feedback on it. It looks like, by my calculation, the total payload for Ronin-MX + GH-4 + typical lens would be in the 2800g-3000g range or 6.2-6.6 pounds but if bigger lenses are usable and I guess they should be that could increase to perhaps 3500g to as much as 4000g or 7.7 to 8.8 pounds so it looks for sure that the M600 with Ronin-MX + GH-4 + almost any lens would still result in flight times over 30 minutes.

The heaviest lens I see at B&H for M43 cameras is 1200g which would total to somewhat less than 4000g or less than 8.8 pounds whereas the more typical lens would be 800g or less. Even the renowned Sigma 18-35mm lens with the Metabones adapter would weigh less than 950g.

Brian

Yes sir everything you stated there is correct I can't wait to test the GH4 out on this maybe it will be a lot of fun and hope to get some great results. I will definitely keep you posted as everything moves forward.

Hey Brian yes I totally understand where you're coming from and I agree with you. I also fly the X5.
I have not been able to test the GH four yet because the MX gimbal is not available yet. I do believe this bird is going to be a true game changer. I added 14 pounds of weight yesterday and did a 28 minute flight effortlessly. I have never been more impressed with any bird then I am currently with the M 600. Not because it's new and I'm excited although I am very excited. It's truly a blessing to fly be handling characteristics are many times greater then the S 1000 It has the most lifting capability of any DJI bird I have ever flown. The amount of throttle it takes to get it off the ground is almost 0. TopSpeed yesterday was it 44 mph. With zero payload I did a flight of 40 minutes. I have several units and will soon be testing the new mix gimbal as well as the X5 and X5R. Also will be using the XT on this unit Also the impression I get from the basic construction is it is a very high quality craftsmanship and has been thought out very well I'm especially happy with the redundant GPS systems and the redundant battery system. Not to forget the redundant motors. All I know I'm very impressed with this bird and it's 21 inch carbon fiber blades are like icing on the cake. If I can be of any more help please let me know
Quick question Ralph......
How noisy is it? Would you say higher or lower dB level when flying than the Inspire.
Larger, props, swing slower than the smaller variety and usually create less noise.....but there are six of them.
Just curious.

How will the M600 be packaged for storage and travel. Does it need to be disassembled to fit in some sort of pelican case?

How will the M600 be packaged for storage and travel. Does it need to be disassembled to fit in some sort of pelican case?
Ralph can give the full report but, as an S1000 owner (and this is very similar) the props fold as well as the arms and they usually do use Pelican cases for the S900 & S1000 series.

Reactions: SanCap
Saw the M600 in operation the other day. Quieter than you would expect. Louder than an Inspire but quieter than other heavy lifters with CF props.

How noisy is it? Would you say higher or lower dB level when flying than the Inspire.
Larger, props, swing slower than the smaller variety and usually create less noise.....but there are six of them.
Just curious.
It's actually a deep sounding roar. The slower props have a unique sound but I wouldn't say it is much louder just diff.

Just curious.
I would say slightly higher DCB wise but lower sounding if that makes sense. I sound like I'm conflicted with myself lol

Last edited:
It folds exactly like the s1000 but has a slightly larger footprint. So the case will need to be specifically designed for this bird. I'm currently working with Microraptor developing a pelican style case for the M600. It will be available soon.

Saw the M600 in operation the other day. Quieter than you would expect. Louder than an Inspire but quieter than other heavy lifters with CF props.

Yeah, that was my impression from the videos I've seen. Hard to know for sure, but it does seem louder than the I1 but not obnoxiously so. Actually, I think the I1 is pretty darn quiet...

Brian

Ralph, I mentioned my interest in the M600 as a platform to carry, using the Ronin MX, a Panasonic GH-4 or when it becomes available, the GH-5, but I'm also interested in perhaps using it to carry a DSLR like a Nikon D800E or similar DSLR. It would be interesting to see how it would handle a D800E and just how the operator/pilot would control the camera to take still images.

So, when you get the Ronin MX and are able to use it I am particularly interested in the camera control aspects with a GH-4 for mostly video but also stills. And then the camera control for something like the D800E for mostly stills and perhaps some video.

Will the Ronin MX handle both the GH-4 and a D800E with typical fixed lens like, say, a 35mm f/1.4G.

Brian

Hey buddy, good to hear from you. Yes sure thing the MX will be fully compatible with both of those models. The use of the expansion module will allow for basic dslr camera control with the Go app. This is a first and is very exciting. I actually have a GH4 and plan on flying it on my M600 l. I will do extensive testing as soon as it arrives. The MX gimbals are set to ship end of the month. I will keep you posted as it progresses along. I can tell you I have spoken with a beta tester who confirmed the dslr line of camera has already been successfully controlled by he go app. It's just a matter of time now until we all get to use this amazing gimbal. As long as the camera is 8 lbs or under you are good to go.

Reactions: RaptorMan
Hey buddy, good to hear from you. Yes sure thing the MX will be fully compatible with both of those models. The use of the expansion module will allow for basic dslr camera control with the Go app. This is a first and is very exciting. I actually have a GH4 and plan on flying it on my M600 l. I will do extensive testing as soon as it arrives. The MX gimbals are set to ship end of the month. I will keep you posted as it progresses along. I can tell you I have spoken with a beta tester who confirmed the dslr line of camera has already been successfully controlled by he go app. It's just a matter of time now until we all get to use this amazing gimbal. As long as the camera is 8 lbs or under you are good to go.

Ralph, you're the man!

Brian

Yes I have already tackled that challenge. I was waiting to post when I had a gimbal to fly it with. So far we are tapping on 55 min with no payload. I think 60 min is a very realistic number. Still tweaking the size of the accessory packs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi