Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Thanks for the pointer to the footage on RCgroups - the video posted there by Blade Strike is waaaay better. For those interested in seeing what the camera can produce, you can download the file from the thread:

Official DJI Mavic ***Owner and Developer'sThread*** - Page 72 - RC Groups

There's also another sample later in the same thread.

I am kind of surprised that some of the people who were granted early access were unable to set up the camera to deliver sharp video. User error? Most likely.

Just saw this on Casey Niestat's new youtube video comparing the video output of different drones. So yes, he screwed up apparently. I bet the DJI folks were not happy.

Guys, the other thing/feature I think I should mention since nobody has picked up on it (not that I've seen) is that the Mavic remote has a haptic feedback alert.
This means that you can stay busy with eyes on the Mavic and should there be a warning alert whether that be low battery, low signal, poor GPS, high wind resistance etc etc, the remote as well as giving voice alerts which we are all used to will also vibrate to alert you to glance down at the warning message.
It is another little feature that just sets this little UAV apart from the rest. :)

I see that it has vision positioning, which is something I want.

Will this have it's own version of DJO GO, or will the flight control be incorporated into the existing DJI GO app?

Also, will this have automatic uploading of flight track info and imagery to DJI's servers?
Will run standard DJI Go App (v3.0) - usual server config.

well i will sell my old p3 and stay with the p4 mavick and inspire pro Buy Mavic Pro

Edit by moderator: Affiliated link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Uses software image management system instead of hardware. Reason for this is the OcuSynch (software) gives a much greater distance and media size transfer than Lightbridge 2 (hardware). Also gives a much less latency than light bridge 0.8 ms. Just as a side Mavic also supports FPV

I searched for specs on the Mavic's remote controller but could not find whether it supports a dual remote option.
One joystick controller for the pilot and another one for the camera operator. Or maybe just an ipad or smartphone for the camera operator.
Anybody ideas?

I searched for specs on the Mavic's remote controller but could not find whether it supports a dual remote option.
One joystick controller for the pilot and another one for the camera operator. Or maybe just an ipad or smartphone for the camera operator.
Anybody ideas?
One operator only - there is no point having dual set up since the Mavic does not possess a 360degree gimbal - on order to yaw the aircraft must rotate

Good point, although I do not completely agree. There are quite a few drones that have a front mounted gimbal and have a second remote for moving the gimbal up/down, pushing the trigger on photos, starting/stopping video and zooming (is not on the Mavic, unfortunately). In some countries it is mandatory to have a separate payload operator to fly commercially, hence my question. Don't know whether the Mavic suits commercially flying, but I think it would be a nice option to have.

No comment really apart from it looks good, but as someone whose paid money to do this commercially, I find it worrying that the rest of the world is just going ahead now and shooting their own footage/photos with ever easy to use drones while breaking all the rules and I'm the stupid mug worrying about doing things by the book when no one else cares, or is punished.

I was led to believe if you use drone content to promote yourself its classed as commercial.

As someone whose tried to do things the right way, I'm starting to feel like an endangered species, not just because the tech is easier to use, but simply because go pro and dji are making it really socially acceptable to do this.

So instead of being paid to get property aerials, its going to be really tempting for estate agents to just get them themselves, while I don't blame them, I'm starting to feel let down by the CAA who were pretty heavy handed in making threats about you not jumping through their many costly and expensive hoops, only to see, everyone else is breaking the rules on a constant basis and I'm starting to feel like an idiot trying to follow the rules in a world where hardly anyone else is.

Anyone else shares my concerns on this?

Here's the way I look at it based on my many years as a video production professional and a few years as a drone operator. I'm going to get my certificate. I'm studying hard right now. It will be a source of pride for me to say I did it and my company will promote the fact that I have it (along with our Inspire 1) to show we're serious aerial video professionals, not just hobbyists trying to pay for our drone with a few jobs. In small cities like we live in, we already see some drone video showing up in TV commercials, badly done but there it is. I seriously doubt the operators are certified. These commercial the are usually bad to terrible all the way around. These people would never think of calling a professional advertising firm like ours because they would know we would cost more than they want to spend and they don't care about quality...good enough is good enough is the attitude, even if "good enough" stinks.

Small to medium city drone operators who do commercial work will probably never get caught because the FAA (in the USA) doesn't care about the little guys. But think about those commercials you've all seen for the huge car dealer in a big city. He has 50 acres of cars and deals, deals, deals. If drone shots appear in his commercials, the FAA might notice and check to see if a certified pilot shot it. If not, he gets a big fine. He may not care much, he'll just pay it and keep doing what he's doing because he's got a multi-million dollar dealership, or, just maybe, he will hire a certified pro for future aerial video.

Over the years, we've lost video productions to several "guys with DSLRs". Sure, the stuff they shoot usually is crap, not even close to what we produce but people don't really care about quality when they can save a lot of money (see good enough comment above). Here's another old saying: Cheap, fast good, pick two. Most of the time these days clients, even some of our best, just want fast and cheap. As more and more drones are sold, it's going to get harder and harder for those of us who are certified pilots with good aircrafts, flying and shooting video commercially, to get paid what we want. As a friend of my once said to me: Take ten jobs for whatever price you can get to help pay the bills, then use the video from the one, good project for your audition reel. His advice has served me well over the years. Good luck to all you licensed professionals and never make apologies for doing things the right way. Be proud of your skills and accomplishments.

Reactions: Highrpm955
No comment really apart from it looks good, but as someone whose paid money to do this commercially, I find it worrying that the rest of the world is just going ahead now and shooting their own footage/photos with ever easy to use drones while breaking all the rules and I'm the stupid mug worrying about doing things by the book when no one else cares, or is punished.

I was led to believe if you use drone content to promote yourself its classed as commercial.

As someone whose tried to do things the right way, I'm starting to feel like an endangered species, not just because the tech is easier to use, but simply because go pro and dji are making it really socially acceptable to do this.

So instead of being paid to get property aerials, its going to be really tempting for estate agents to just get them themselves, while I don't blame them, I'm starting to feel let down by the CAA who were pretty heavy handed in making threats about you not jumping through their many costly and expensive hoops, only to see, everyone else is breaking the rules on a constant basis and I'm starting to feel like an idiot trying to follow the rules in a world where hardly anyone else is.

Anyone else shares my concerns on this?

I totally get what you are saying and yes it is massively frustrating especially for those trying to find work and I agree the Mavic will also give more amo for unlicensed users to do whatever they want. its well known that Phantom owners do anything they want and get away with it.. It`ll be the Mavic lads soon! Saying that I have a Mavic on order as its a fantastic tool and I can see lots of opportunities to use one even in commercial work. From what I have seen from the footage, there is less compression artifacts and no warped horizon! it is looking to be a fantastic little machine, very excited to try one out. On the point of rules being broken even more, absolutely will happen and as hard and annoying as it is, just try to concentrate on pushing yourself, because I have found that 80% of my work the client requires to see my accreditation documents which always makes me happy. It makes me realise it was worth it, so the work will come through and you wont think too much about other people breaking rules.

I totally get how disheartening it can be though, many times I have spent so much time and effort doing everything the right way, and found out someone went to the same spot, with no permissions, no care for height restrictions and proximity rules and no one has battered an eyelid. I don`t even bother trying to educate anyone because no one listens, so I have to just concentrate on myself, and just put myself out there, but I can guarantee something bad will happen from someone using a drone, and heavy rules will be set. Unfortunately the mindset of this world is that something tragic has to happen before anything gets put into place.

I am excited for the Mavic though, more so than the Inspire 2. In fact I am not really that bothered about the inspire 2, because I have an X5r now, and the footage I get is truely remarkable and it is a fantastic machine to fly, the only plus for an inspire 2 would be redundancy, but that is it. I cant really fault it in any other way. It is hard in this world not to get G.A.S. but I am very very happy with the kit I have. The phantom was the tool for portability and traveling now the Mavic totally blows it out of the water for that, so it`ll be sitting in my photography bag at all times. Sometimes its about getting the shot. The best camera in the world doesnt suddenly get you the best shot ever despite what some snobs think. If you are competent at what you do then you can adapt to any limitation of a camera and produce stella work no matter what it is. I had someone who has the mindset that you have to have the most expensive in everything call my inspire just a toy, yet the time to carry, setup and get his rig in the air, I would have got the shot at a very high quality anyway because of the X5r and moved on to the next location.

I can see where you are coming from with this however my opinion is that most people are aware that a drone operator needs a "drone license" as they seem to refer to it as and i have been asked this many times. An estate agent would be a fool to use someone who wasn't insured
In Australia, the onus is on the drone operator to worry about being insured, licenced etc. That's why TV stations ask if anyone has got drone footage rather than using one themselves - puts all the burden of responsibility onto the drone owner and they not only get free footage, but no responsibility. And there are fools who give it to them thinking it's an honour to have their work on TV. Go figure that one, but it's common! And real estate agents couldn't care less by and large. They never ask for licences and insurance policies. They only ask how cheap can you do it, and when will I have the pics.

Yeah, it makes sense the video quality should be on par with the Phantom 4 given the use of the same sensor and so long as the lens is of decent quality there should be little to separate them. It would be nice if they upped the max bit rate to, say, 100mbps, but for a drone in the segment at its price point 60mbps is OK. For sure the next Inspire needs a big bump in bit rate and a better/faster processor to handle it.

Brian

Some better footage emerging shot on the Mavic.

As much as PooTube destroys everything that is uploaded to it by recompressing and always keeping in mind the physical size and portability of this thing - I am liking what I'm seeing.....
(Watch in 1080p)
Ken has uploaded the original of the first clip of that on Dropbox and posted the link on RCG, looks awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry