Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Phantom 1 OR 3DR Solo? What should I buy?

Reaction score
I'm new to drones/quads - I am not using the thing for movies but more so for surveying and obviously a little fun.
Flown a buddies, so flying it is not an issue.
What I'm stuck at is there is a used Phantom 1 my buddy has that has nothing wrong with it, he writes:
"Professional DJI Phantom quad chopper drone includes remote and extra accessories including smartphone holder for remote control. Wifi camera with DJI Phantom wifi camera with gimbal holder, prop guards for all 4 propellers. 1 extra set of propellers. 3 batteries and 1 charger. 20-25 minute fly time for arial photography and videos. Includes features like fly home and smartphone app that you can view your drone flying from your phone screen."
He is letting me have it for $420 Canadian.

Then another guy is selling a brand new 3DR Solo, sealed in the box for $800 Canadian.
I know both are a deal.

But what should I get?

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

DJI Phantom 1? Yea I'd pass on that. Try and find a Phantom 3 Standard used or new, that will offer the best value for your money. 3DR Solo still has some kinks from what I've been hearing. Plus you need to buy to GoPro separately and will still have the fisheye effect.

In short, my vote is for none of the above :D

DJI Phantom 1? Yea I'd pass on that. Try and find a Phantom 3 Standard used or new, that will offer the best value for your money. 3DR Solo still has some kinks from what I've been hearing. Plus you need to buy to GoPro separately and will still have the fisheye effect.

In short, my vote is for none of the above :D
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it.
Only thing that is good is that I have a Hero 3 already, so saves me that extra $300-$500.

Does that change anything? - haha

What's wrong with the phantom 1? (I suppose everything that is the first has its own issues as well).

Well firstly I think his ad is quite misleading... If it is indeed the Phantom 1 there is is no built-in 'wifi camera' or need for a smartphone holder as it does not have any connectivity to smartphones (unless he modded it with Lightbridge, which I'm not sure is even possible on the P1). Ask for a demo of how it works, I'd be willing to bet there is no video downlink or that it is a primitive system in comparison to a newer drone.
What I would ask him, or look for is the following:

Does it have light bridge?
Does it come with the camera? If so which one?
Does it come with a gimbal? If so which one? (It would be most likely an H3-2D or H3-3D)

Personally I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, the Phantom 1 is oooold tech. I learned on one a few years ago and it pales in comparison to the Phantom 3, which is a fully integrated system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin