Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Wind 1

Any camera is pretty useless in the rain but even more so on a moving UAV. The forward motion (especially in high wind) simply blows rain all over the camera lens and then you can either see nothing or your FPV is severely compromised.
Couple of interesting points.......

• The UAV might be rain proof but the X3, Z3 and XT most definitely are not! Nice one DJI....back to the drawing board. :rolleyes:
  • The article says it can fly in wind speeds of up to 21-26 knots and yet it's rated wind resistance is stated as 23 knots. This is the maximum permissable speed anyone would be allowed to state in their ops manual for any commercial application - so not much difference to the Inspire 1 then really! In fact, it has the same maximum forward speed as the Inspire but that's without any payload and in atti. The Windy 1 actually has only 17m/s max speed in GPS but with nothing hanging from it.
Agreed the flight time is improved but you would expect it to be with twin 47/48's

I do question DJI thinking sometimes when they come up with these ideas!

Reactions: InspiredOne
"Industrial" with only four props? Can't go after such a niche market and not address the largest issues.

Pricing is crazy. You can get the Matrice 600 with the X5 Mount, X5 and an extra set of batteries for that price. Crazy. And I agree, why have a platform that "Rainproof" when none of the equipment you'd hang off of it isn't.

When reading that article, I had to check it wasn't April 1st. It looks like it's a spoof anyway. It has got me thinking though, of a way of getting a camera to operate in the rain without the lens getting droplets on it (I operate commercially in the English Lake District and the only time it isn't raining is when it's about to rain).

Reactions: Kenneth Sands
When reading that article, I had to check it wasn't April 1st. It looks like it's a spoof anyway. It has got me thinking though, of a way of getting a camera to operate in the rain without the lens getting droplets on it (I operate commercially in the English Lake District and the only time it isn't raining is when it's about to rain).
Flying backwards is the most effective way I have found. However, even then you will still get some precipitation on the front element/filter at some point.

Some professional solutions have been to utilise a photo quality glass disc on the outside of a camera housing. This disc spins at high speed (centre mounted off axis) and thus flings any water droplets off immediately.

Haven't seen that utilised on a UAV though as it would be pretty cumbersome.

It is supposed to be used for SAR, surveillance, observation, infrared and such, in most weather conditions, not just as a video platform, although it can be used for that purpose as well.

I think it's interesting. Although I would rather see a hex or X8 config for this purpose.

From DJI themselves:

'The product called the ‘DJI Wind 1’ was a pilot customised platform that was developed in low quantities for one partner. This is not to be considered an official DJI product, nor is it intended for distribution through our channels at this time'.

Reactions: Kenneth Sands
Interesting design. But what's the point of having a 360 degree rotating camera when the landing gear don't raise?

Flying backwards is the most effective way I have found. However, even then you will still get some precipitation on the front element/filter at some point.

The ventilation openings on the back is what worries me most. Fortunately it is a blower, not a sucker. But turning the rear into the wind might cause a bigger drops to enter the holes. Or the rear usb port. What would the risk of a short, low I hope?

Pricing is crazy. You can get the Matrice 600 with the X5 Mount, X5 and an extra set of batteries for that price. Crazy. And I agree, why have a platform that "Rainproof" when none of the equipment you'd hang off of it isn't.
sometimes it rains when you are flying, in that case the ability to land with a soggy camera is a nice one :) unless the camera is a mini MCA 6, in which case it still sucks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar