Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dji Wireless focus? 5.8 extension?

Reaction score
hello-

Does the wireless focus wheel work with the proper bus cable and the 5.8ghz extension for the i2? I was thinking about biting the bullet and getting that system. Does it control aperture as well if you want?

Thanks-

Great question, I am wondering the same. On the X5S page on DJI's website, they have a section that eludes to the possibility of this, however it is not clear. I have called DJI support and they were very uninformed and contradictory in their statements. They said it's only compatible with the Inspire 1, however they said it will work with ANY Light-bridge 2 device. I think we just need to hear from someone who's tried it?

Hey!!

I have not been able to connect with the 5.8 device. Now- I've got the smaller focus wheel attached to the controller w/ the DJI "attach on" device. I have pulled out the wireless a couple of times and used the longer cable to plug into controller. If there's an AC who wants/needs to be involved they stand by a monitor and work with it plugged in. My understanding is that the 5.8 works with only Inspire 1 and not 2. I haven't see any more on this and I assume it still can't. Let me know if you get it to work!

Hey guys. One follow up question for you would be if you are using your Inspire 2 systems in dual operator mode? Initially the Inspire 2 indicated that it would allow up to 4 connected remote controllers - but to date there is only a way to get 2 controllers working together. The 5.8 unit for the full focus hand unit basically acts like a 2nd controller when you bind it to the primary remote and only gives the focus commands instead of full gimbal control commands like a 2nd radio would. If only using in single op mode you could add a second radio and plug the remote into it (like the way SWINDY mentions doing it for someone to pull focus being connected with the longer cable). If you are trying to add it as a 3rd device, I think you are going to run into issue - for sure until we have a way to bind more than 2 radios to an I2 system.

Finally, another idea is to use the small Focus hand wheel 2 which has a button on it (as opposed to touching the screen to change between them) to toggle between F-I-Z (if the lens supports FIZ) on both the pilot radio and / or the camera op. It works from either. I think the only thing you can not make work at the moment is anything relating to using 3 radio controlled devices at once on the I2 (remote controllers and the 5.8 module for the big focus hand unit).

Does this make sense (and hopefully I am answering the right questions for you guys). We have all the items and all the cables to test things if you need us to.

Reactions: SanCap
Hey guys. One follow up question for you would be if you are using your Inspire 2 systems in dual operator mode? Initially the Inspire 2 indicated that it would allow up to 4 connected remote controllers - but to date there is only a way to get 2 controllers working together. The 5.8 unit for the full focus hand unit basically acts like a 2nd controller when you bind it to the primary remote and only gives the focus commands instead of full gimbal control commands like a 2nd radio would. If only using in single op mode you could add a second radio and plug the remote into it (like the way SWINDY mentions doing it for someone to pull focus being connected with the longer cable). If you are trying to add it as a 3rd device, I think you are going to run into issue - for sure until we have a way to bind more than 2 radios to an I2 system.

Finally, another idea is to use the small Focus hand wheel 2 which has a button on it (as opposed to touching the screen to change between them) to toggle between F-I-Z (if the lens supports FIZ) on both the pilot radio and / or the camera op. It works from either. I think the only thing you can not make work at the moment is anything relating to using 3 radio controlled devices at once on the I2 (remote controllers and the 5.8 module for the big focus hand unit).

Does this make sense (and hopefully I am answering the right questions for you guys). We have all the items and all the cables to test things if you need us to.

Thanks for the information. So just to clarify, are you saying that the Wireless Follow Focus with the 5.8 attachment WILL work with the Inspire 2, so long as the operator is only using one remote and NOT using dual operator mode?

Also, have you successfully synced the Wireless Follow Focus to the Inspire 2 remote? Thanks much!

Thanks for the information. So just to clarify, are you saying that the Wireless Follow Focus with the 5.8 attachment WILL work with the Inspire 2, so long as the operator is only using one remote and NOT using dual operator mode?

Also, have you successfully synced the Wireless Follow Focus to the Inspire 2 remote? Thanks much!
No, we have not tried this, but because the wireless module acts like having a 2nd remote added as a slave, if you were already using dual remotes I don't think you would have any chance at syncing the equivalent of a 3rd remote. If in single operator you could give it a try.

And if you were in single operator mode and and it would not connect, you can connect a 2nd radio and then connect the focus hand unit to the 2nd radio with the proper cable.

I am not sure where DJI is at with allowing up to 4 radios to be connected as they presented to us upon the announcement of the Inspire 2 - I know many people would like to use them to attach client monitors and this use also makes sense (assuming they support it).

Hope that makes a little more sense...Michael

Hello - I've got the Focus Wheel 2 and have tested it with dual controls, with the handwheel physically connected to the slaved controller via the four wire canbus connection. In this setup, I don't believe the Handwheel is communicating wirelessly; let me know if I'm right about this.

Really like the feature where the wheel changes modes to aperture if you push the button.

I did run into an issue where the mount has not been made correctly, and needed to grind down the center (gray metal inside the rosette) in order to mate it to the handwheel. See attached. DJI offered to take it back and send a replacement, but I opted to use my Dremel rather than wait.

IMG_20170815_103320.jpg

Reactions: Skylux Media
Hello - I've got the Focus Wheel 2 and have tested it with dual controls, with the handwheel physically connected to the slaved controller via the four wire canbus connection. In this setup, I don't believe the Handwheel is communicating wirelessly; let me know if I'm right about this.

Really like the feature where the wheel changes modes to aperture if you push the button.

I did run into an issue where the mount has not been made correctly, and needed to grind down the center (gray metal inside the rosette) in order to mate it to the handwheel. See attached. DJI offered to take it back and send a replacement, but I opted to use my Dremel rather than wait.

View attachment 15486
Yes, sadly a lot of people have had to grind down part of their system to make it fit. We ordered a bunch of the 1/4 20 bushings and have offered to send them to anyone who needs on to get a proper fit between the 2 parts. We posted the offer here:

Handwheel 2 mount and solution

We don't care who you bought it from, we are happy to send the bushing that makes these 2 units fit perfectly together. If you want one, just send us a PM, or you could send a note through our contact us page at www.FloridaDroneSupply.com as well.

Thanks!

Thanks @FDS, but I'm good to go now.

Boggles the mind that this problem wasn't detected sooner - I guess they did all the testing on the OSMO?
Yep - tough to believe they never tried to actually connect these 2 parts together. Just saw your post on the other thread as well...very interesting FLIR set up.

View attachment 15486

Hi Eskin! You are correct that the "DJI Focus Handwheel & Handwheel 2" doesn't communicate wirelessly. We were mostly talking about "Dji Focus" which is a handheld follow focus system that can be operated both wired, and wirelessly, with either a DSLR camera or a drone. I also have the same handwheel unit as you and it works great!! Although I also had to sand mine down in order to get it working :( Glad you got your's fixed and you're enjoying your unit!

-Jared

Hi Eskin! You are correct that the "DJI Focus Handwheel & Handwheel 2" doesn't communicate wirelessly. We were mostly talking about "Dji Focus" which is a handheld follow focus system that can be operated both wired, and wirelessly, with either a DSLR camera or a drone. I also have the same handwheel unit as you and it works great!! Although I also had to sand mine down in order to get it working :( Glad you got your's fixed and you're enjoying your unit!

-Jared

Ah! Thanks @Jaredpalick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah