Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI X5 Lens Test Olympus 14-42mm

Luis

the 14-42 stays like that al the time on the x5/inspire.

Only way to collapse it is to mount on a "conventional" mft camera.

It will always extend and stay like that on the x5 though.

HTH

Can someone post a picture of the balancing ring for the Olympus 14-42 please.

I too am interested in this Lens and camera, just have not made the switch.

Thanks Clancey Aggen

Any updates?

Thanks lol

So where does it attach? to the front of the camera lens?

Anyone of a photo of it on the X5?

I am interested in using this setup for Inspection services what do you all think?

I too are using an S900 with a servo lol!

Thanks lol

So where does it attach? to the front of the camera lens?

Anyone of a photo of it on the X5?

I am interested in using this setup for Inspection services what do you all think?

I too are using an S900 with a servo lol!

I have this lens and bought it expecting to fly mostly at 12mm, and do inspections at 42mm -- probably the same as you. I think it's sufficient for the job, but there are a few things to keep in mind:

• Implementation on the GO app is not that great. It doesn't zoom very smoothly, and there's lots of latency
  • Once you mount the lens, it will initially extend fully on start-up, but never retract back to pancake mode on shutdown. Supposedly this will someday be addressed in firmware. "Someday".
  • Obvs not a low-light lens @42mm, and many inspection circumstances are fairly low light
  • Because the lens is never fully balanced -- the nature of a zoom with moving elements -- it may be working the gimbal motors a little more than most lenses. I have no idea if there is long term harm from this, but it's something to think about
  • It's absolutely useless for video -- other threads here cover that

On the plus side, it's relatively cheap.

After spending a bunch of time playing with this lens, I now feel that the better way to go is just to mount the 45mm and get used to flying with such a narrow FOV. The inspection stuff I'm doing is really LOS flying, so this is not that huge an issue. Better skills will help me in the long run.

Reactions: SanCap
How do we go about calibrating this lens? I mean, if we calibrate for the hyperfocal distance at 42mm it's going to require a different calibration at 14mm. Or am I over thinking this?

How do we go about calibrating this lens? I mean, if we calibrate for the hyperfocal distance at 42mm it's going to require a different calibration at 14mm. Or am I over thinking this?

I haven't tried to calibrate, focus is great out of the box.

There was a little sun here in northern germany and so i tested the cheap Olympus 14-42mm again only 140€ on ebay.
There was Wind as you can see from the flags on the vessels.

Firmware v1.4.0.70
Dual Operator

Last edited:
Reactions: gruvpix
Greetings all,

I too use the 14-42 and am quite satisfied with the results. It becomes more prone to introducing jello than an wide-angle lens, but otherwise it is quite an advantage to have a controllable zoom lens on an aerial platform. Did this video yesterday:

Is anyone using this lens for stills, especially with Lightroom?

I've noticed that regardless of focal length, the DNG metadata is always reporting 14mm. This is causing LR to apply an incorrect automatic lens profile. The result is 42mm stills are treated as 14mm stills and massive pin-cushioning is introduced.

Would be good to know if this behaviour is the same across the board, or if something in my set up is duff.

Guys - Even though it's a little slow, this lens is a game changer, agree with all of the above in that you cannot use the zoom while tracking (yet).
We found the perfect balancing solution, a washer that fits perfectly and completely balances the lens. Tried a bunch of different ones and this is the one that fits. Will try and get the specifics. View attachment 4816
Hello. Can you give me the specifics of this washer? I'm in need of a balance for my X5. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207