Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI X5 Lens Test Olympus 14-42mm

Nice find!, yeah It does not matter if you power the controller off first, as long as the craft is not armed nothing will happen, although better safe then sorry always :) this rule used to apply more for the old 72mhz systems.

Seen this on FB :)

*USEFUL TIP Olympus 14-42mm Lens*

When using the 14-42mm lens you will noticed that the lens never pancakes back down when you power off. It appeared the only way you could do it was to put the lens on a normal MFT camera and do it that way.

I have now found out how to do it on the Inspire. What you need to do is turn the controller off first, then turn the Inspire off. The then lens pulls in. I would advise taking your props off first before doing this just for safety. Although I have tried several times and the motors haven't activated.

Didnt work for me -- it retracted briefly and then popped back out again.

What firmware are you guys running on your inspire? What all hardware/software upgrades do I have to preform in order to use this camera/lens? I believe I have a model B inspire, I have been using the x3 camera, should I just go for the X5 instead of the X5R?

What firmware are you guys running on your inspire? What all hardware/software upgrades do I have to preform in order to use this camera/lens? I believe I have a model B inspire, I have been using the x3 camera, should I just go for the X5 instead of the X5R?

You will need the X5 adaptor plate and the X5. Once you have these then just install the Inspire Pro firmware and you are good to go.
You should buy the X5 rather than the X5R unless you need to shoot RAW video and have the equipment and workflow to deal with it. I'm assuming that because you have to ask the question, you have neither.

For most people the X5 is the best option from a price / performance stand point.

Reactions: ringolong
Which ND filters would you recommend (weight wise) in order to replace the dji balancing ring in sunlight?

I bought the DJI balance ring for this lens and was a bit miffed to find that there wasn't a thread on it for filters - which seems a bit of a fail.

I also found that a 37-46mm step-up and ND filter weren't as heavy as the balance ring either.

Plingboot, you place the filters between lens and balancing ring. All my 37 ND are double threaded, so it works just fine.

Hey Guys,

Question, I just received my Olympus 14-42mm, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here, but I cannot for the life of me attach it to my X5. I line the lens up but gets stuck when I try to rotate it to lock it in, I do not have a balancing ring, and I am pressing the unlock switch on the X5. Any ideas on why this would be?

Does it feel like it is too tight? I think some guys have had to modify it to be able to fit. Mine fit without having to do this though.

image.jpeg
It sure is a tight fit. I grinded off some of the zoom ring, now it fits perfectly without any friction between lens and x5.

I use both the 15mm Panasonic lens (which is the actual DJI lens before it got rebadged and price hiked) and the 14-42 Olympus.
Both lenses are great and everyone should know that there are very few zoom lenses that stay in focus while zooming.
Most of my work is direct streaming, thus I do not use 4K on my camera, but I noticed my 14-42 will not do digital zoom when camera is running at 1080-30. Has anyone else tried this?
BTW I use a 37 to 42 filter adaptor with a polarising filter which just about balances the lens.

I have just purchased this lens, it works for a brief period on initial start up but then the app informs me that the camera doesn't recognise the lens, the lens then starts zooming in and out constantly. Very frustrating as you can imagine! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Seen a video on you tube of a lens doing this very thing but no fix advice!

I am afraid there is not much you can do besides having all components updated to the newest firmwares. I remember my 14-42 doing this as well when I attached it for the first time. X5 was new as well, so I did a firmware update anyway and never saw the issue again.

Thanks Andreas,
All devices are updated to the latest firmware, just have to wait for the X5 update as it is apparently due.
Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Hey Jim,

I guess firmware will only help if your X5 is still on the old firmware it came with. I think DJI added 14-42 support with the appropriate lens profile somewhere in March (that was the time I got my X5 + lens), and it worked since then.

Hey Guys

I just bought the 14-42mm lens, it should be here today. I have a really stupid question, please don't hold it against me. How do you zoom in or out? Is it through the app? I don't see anything in the DJI go app that allow you to control focal length? How do you adjust in the air? I don't care that you can't change the focal length in a recorded shot just want to know what controls the focal length? App? Something on the radio?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool