Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI X5 Lens Test Olympus 14-42mm

Watch this video. Dylan goes into detail about some pros and cons of this camera and also how to prepare it for use. Regarding zoom, you use the slider on the app as shown. I am not sure if you can also use the combination C2 button and left dial like for the Z3.

Thanks Richard. He's not using the pancake lens which is the lens I thought you should be using. Is the pancake lens not compatible?

Thanks Richard. He's not using the pancake lens which is the lens I thought you should be using. Is the pancake lens not compatible?
Its is the pancake lens. When you power it on the Inspire, until recent fireware upgrade, it wouldn't retract (would still zoom internally)

You need the pancake lens. Only caveat is that when used on the Inspire X5, it will not retract fully. To make it retract, you need to mount it on a compatible camera like an Olympus PEN, or equivalent Panasonic, etc.

Just purchased the Olympus M.ZUIKO 14-42mm & am experiencing the lens automatically zooming in & out on power up. I have no control over it & it does not stop this zooming in & out. Anyone else ever experience this or have any suggestions on what to do? I'm up to date with the latest Zenmuse X5 firmware.

Reactions: SanCap
Just purchased the Olympus M.ZUIKO 14-42mm & am experiencing the lens automatically zooming in & out on power up. I have no control over it & it does not stop this zooming in & out. Anyone else ever experience this or have any suggestions on what to do? I'm up to date with the latest Zenmuse X5 firmware.

There is a tiny lock ring on the X5 camera at mount flange, make sure that is unlocked when you put the lens on and lock it after the lens is attached.

There is a tiny lock ring on the X5 camera at mount flange, make sure that is unlocked when you put the lens on and lock it after the lens is attached.
Thanks, I tried it with no success. I'm wondering if I received a bad lens, I've not come across anyone having this problem anywhere on the web. The lens is still under warranty- I'll try exchanging it for a new one.

Hi, I just read this thread and got good info (just bought an X5R Osmo kit) and been looking for the right lens for days .. as you all probably know, it's very confusing. I know now which one does work, and that is the EZ pancake. But I wonder .. has anyone tried this: Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power H-PS14042S or any other similar 14-42/45mm lenses? I was hoping for a magical smooth zoom ...

Also, I'm a little concerned about the "slight loss of quality" I've heard about ....

Thanks for any info!

Hi, I just read this thread and got good info (just bought an X5R Osmo kit) and been looking for the right lens for days .. as you all probably know, it's very confusing. I know now which one does work, and that is the EZ pancake. But I wonder .. has anyone tried this: Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power H-PS14042S or any other similar 14-42/45mm lenses? I was hoping for a magical smooth zoom ...

Also, I'm a little concerned about the "slight loss of quality" I've heard about ....

Thanks for any info!
Not tried it. Noted that the Panasonic is list as compatible with the new X5S to go on the Inspire 2, Unfortunatly the Existing X5 camera range is not compatible with the new inspire...

I'm surprised by how terrible the trees look... doesn't seem right. They're just blobs of video compression

Me too... My Phantom 4 , non pro, produces a way better image than that? Could it be a YouTube playback thing? Just bought a 1 v2 Pro with the X5 and this same lens plus the stock lens. Sure hope the vids don't all look like that! HAS to be something wrong .

I'm finding the Oly 14-42 very nice. Lovely sunbursts, quite sharp enough for my purposes (shooting RAW nature stuff mostly) and only complaints would be that it is not wide enough for forest walking shots (so I got the Panny 12mm for that) and that the zoom is a jerk ... as in zoom to frame, then shoot. The X5R is rad - RAW shots blow doors off the compressed proxies ... like unbelievable comparison. Been using this lens on Osmo RAW on the end of a small carbon jib on my Cineslider ... pretty darn neato ... just ordered the focus wheel and 2M cable so I could pull focus.

What are you guys looking at?

I can attest to the compression on teh X5/X5R being total garbage (like it's the same as the X3, Z3, cams, in my experience).

Yesterday was cold and foggy, but i wanted to test the Olypus 14-42mm with the Inspire Pro and X5.
Works quite well, zooming while filming does not.

All Firmware latest. 4K 25fps iso 200 f5.6 100sec shutter

I am considering the X5 with the 14-42mm Olympus for my Inspire 1. Was your 4K (downsized) to get it on the blog? Footage looks like 720 from my end? If this is best the X5 can do, I have to reconsider this investment...
Larr2000

Inspire 1 with Litchi v1.15.6, Aircraft 1.10.1.40

RC 1.7.60, Camera 1.10.1.40

I'm having a perplexing problem with the 14-42. I still haven't quite sorted out the balance issue, but did start it up for the first time, and the lens barrel extended to the default 'on' position. The design of this lens is such that it is supposed to fully retract to the pancake size when turned 'off'. But when shutting the bird down it just stays fully extended.

I'm guessing that when these lenses are used on regular camera bodies the camera enacts a shutdown procedure in order to retract the lens? Does this sound right? It's not a big deal to me that it remains extended when it's shut down, but it would be more compact for storage.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Funny enough my lens retracts when on the bird and does not retract when I use it on the Osmo, I have been using it without the ring with no issues, though of course it has been just for trials' sake.I will unmount it and order the proper balancing ring, is a hood really a part of the balancing rig on this lens? I thought it was just the ring. Another surprise is that the zoom is "almost" smooth on the Osmo, yet on the Inspire the movement it is a choppy mess, DJI Does specify this lens is supported but not recommended for video but rather for stills, However of course you can set up the shot then video to your heart's content.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44