Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Zenmuse X5R Review

Interesting that they mention the quality of customer service since they are almost universally hated by their customers for the very lack thereof...

I think it's changing. The actual customer service is really good. When you call, you talk to a real/knowledgeable person (better than most companies). If there is a problem, you usually get shipping covered to send it in on an RMA, they don't usually charge for repairs.

The problem is the products needing firmware updates that sometimes cause issues. I think that is being resolved and going forward, this will be ironed out with new products.

Nice review, I was on the fence with the X5r for a while wondering if I really needed RAW, but took the plunge and made the purchase, and what I have been capturing from it lately truely is outstanding. My workflow is so slow copying the files over, but once copied over, its a breeze to grade.

Reactions: Luke Neumann
Nice review, I was on the fence with the X5r for a while wondering if I really needed RAW, but took the plunge and made the purchase, and what I have been capturing from it lately truely is outstanding. My workflow is so slow copying the files over, but once copied over, its a breeze to grade.
I have made a few requests with DJI for the PC Exporter. Ability to check/uncheck all, or select multiple shots and import all at once. Also, for it to remember the last "saved to" location and default back to it.

Hi, Luke! Subscribed. ;)
Enjoyed your review and appreciate the skill of flying two craft in close proximity. With PP 2015.3 proxies it will be much easier to edit/grade the X5R footage.

Thanks! I agree, the proxy creation will help all edits!

Nice one Luke! I'm usually let down by hype when I buy these things, but have really been not disappointed at all with my X5R, as a whole package it's awesome :)

Reactions: Luke Neumann
Nice one Luke! I'm usually let down by hype when I buy these things, but have really been not disappointed at all with my X5R, as a whole package it's awesome :)
I feel the same way. I was partially expecting to be let down in some way too. So far...nothing bad to say. I love it.

Hi Luke,
May I ask you to clarify one topic which I am not sure that I uderstand. While I was considering to sell my X5 and buy X5R instead, I thought that H264 MicroSD card recordings on these two cameras are exactly the same. To my best understanding X5R just makes additional uncompressed RAW recording to its SSD when it is inserted. I thought that X5R can be used without SSD so that it performs exactly as X5 - I hoped to use X5R on some occasions just with MicroSD card to speed up my workflow when RAW is not of importance...

After watching this video from Cinema5D I got confused - as they show that these two cameras, when both set at default D-Log ISO100, look significantly different - X5R PROXY (saved on MicroSD card) recording seems to be of totally flat and almost "plaster" look without detail, while X5 recording looks a bit oversharpened. Please look at their video:

Did you, or anyone else of forum members, get opportunity to personaly compare MicroSD H264 recordings from X5R to X5 recording? Is there really such difference as in this Cinema5D test?

Reactions: Ingus
Hi Luke,
May I ask you to clarify one topic which I am not sure that I uderstand. While I was considering to sell my X5 and buy X5R instead, I thought that H264 MicroSD card recordings on these two cameras are exactly the same. To my best understanding X5R just makes additional uncompressed RAW recording to its SSD when it is inserted. I thought that X5R can be used without SSD so that it performs exactly as X5 - I hoped to use X5R on some occasions just with MicroSD card to speed up my workflow when RAW is not of importance...

After watching this video from Cinema5D I got confused - as they show that these two cameras, when both set at default D-Log ISO100, look significantly different - X5R PROXY (saved on MicroSD card) recording seems to be of totally flat and almost "plaster" look without detail, while X5 recording looks a bit oversharpened. Please look at their video:

Did you, or anyone else of forum members, get opportunity to personaly compare MicroSD H264 recordings from X5R to X5 recording? Is there really such difference as in this Cinema5D test?
I am on the edge - whether to buy X5R or not. I was thinking, that it would be possible to get decent image just from SD card comparable to x5 or at least to P3p. At the moment I have Phantom 3P.

Some have mentioned that comparison video did not consider the firmware effects that impacted D-Log footage. I don't have an X5R yet as I just returned my X5 to DJI as I plan to upgrade to X5R. But, someone confirmed on another thread that H264 footage quality is same between both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrMrdalj
Some have mentioned that comparison video did not consider the firmware effects that impacted D-Log footage. I don't have an X5R yet as I just returned my X5 to DJI as I plan to upgrade to X5R. But, someone confirmed on another thread that H264 footage quality is same between both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, after all i believe that difference must be there due to different FW...
thank you for the info

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool