Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Zenmuse XT

Nice. If thats the case I expect the pricing to be around 3k for the 336 and 8k for the 640.

"Full-rate thermal cameras (FLIR Tau 336 and 640 30 Hz models) sold by DJI are controlled for export under ECCN 6A003.b.4.b. These cameras may not be exported or re-exported to any country other than Canada without authorization from the U.S. government (in the form of a license or through use of a valid license exception). The cameras may not be transferred to prohibited parties or exported for a prohibited end use, as described in the EAR."

Sooooooo.....

I have to wonder...how is it a company can build a gimbal with this high rate thermal camera with these export restrictions for export to the USA and Canada from China?

They must be importing the key components for manufacturing to China, then re-exporting.

How does the US government know they aren't shipping these to other than US or Canada?

"Full-rate thermal cameras (FLIR Tau 336 and 640 30 Hz models) sold by DJI are controlled for export under ECCN 6A003.b.4.b. These cameras may not be exported or re-exported to any country other than Canada without authorization from the U.S. government (in the form of a license or through use of a valid license exception). The cameras may not be transferred to prohibited parties or exported for a prohibited end use, as described in the EAR."

Sooooooo.....

I have to wonder...how is it a company can build a gimbal with this high rate thermal camera with these export restrictions for export to the USA and Canada from China?

They must be importing the key components for manufacturing to China, then re-exporting.

How does the US government know they aren't shipping these to other than US or Canada?

I've learned the XT will actually be assembled and shipped in/from the U.S., likely by FLIR themselves. So mystery solved.

Reactions: John Alan
I've learned the XT will actually be assembled and shipped in/from the U.S., likely by FLIR themselves. So mystery solved.

Yep... Soon as I heard about this I figured this was a FLIR made product... made and shipped from US only...
DJI may be providing a custom China made gimbal assy to FLIR... to expedite the production of it...
My guess is FLIR went to DJI looking to create a market ready platform for their cameras...
A win-win for both companies... by working together... to create a package that is RTF... o_O
I will wait for firm pricing and spring time before deciding if this is a "need" or "want"... :confused:

Reactions: damoncooper
I'm a golf course consultant in Southern California, this is exciting news for sure! With the protracted drought we're experiencing this new thermal capability will give me a valuable tool to help golf course superintendents better manage the water they do have.

Forget doubling the price of an already expensive drone. I bought the Flir thermal image for the Droid and got an old Samsung S3 with a broken screen to strap on to my Inspire 1. Now way a substitute for this but works! $250 for the camera and brother-in-law gave me his broken phone. Takes video if you set it up prior to flight.

Forget doubling the price of an already expensive drone. I bought the Flir thermal image for the Droid and got an old Samsung S3 with a broken screen to strap on to my Inspire 1. Now way a substitute for this but works! $250 for the camera and brother-in-law gave me his broken phone. Takes video if you set it up prior to flight.
No way a substitute. ... (autocorrect).

Pity DJI didn't double up and have optical plus Thermal on the one gimbal, like Aerialtronics Dupla Vista. Not that I'm raining on the parade, just saying...
Not that any small startup can afford the Aerialtronics stuff. Looking forward to a price from DJI for the XT.

I'm a golf course consultant in Southern California, this is exciting news for sure! With the protracted drought we're experiencing this new thermal capability will give me a valuable tool to help golf course superintendents better manage the water they do have.
Not going to work for that. You would need a much heftier IR system. Water cooled, about 150lbs. This one is good for really hot stuff like camp fires which is what I use it for.

Not going to work for that. You would need a much heftier IR system. Water cooled, about 150lbs. This one is good for really hot stuff like camp fires which is what I use it for.
So it's basically another type of agriculture, well hydrated cool areas versus dry warm spot on turfgrass. DJI advertises the new FLIR system is an application for ag

This is good news, although I suspect they will have problems selling it with their current retailer system.
You cannot get a 30hz system without a lot of paperwork, so most of us will be restricted to 9hz.

I agree with the comment above, that DJI should consider a dual camera gimbal.. that is the ticket.

Just so I am understanding this right, the US and Canada will have 30Hz systems for sale at retail, the rest of the world will have 9Hz models and will need apply for a license to the US government in order to try and obtain a 30Hz model?

The 30Hz models are export restricted to US and Canada and I'm not aware of any process for exceptions.

The 9Hz models are available to the rest of the world except embargoed countries.

I understand these will be assembled and shipped from the U.S., likely by FLIR themselves.

Wouldn't it have been better for DJI to partner with a company that isn't restricted in this way?

Wouldn't it have been better for DJI to partner with a company that isn't restricted in this way?

FLIR is a well known brand in this space. Plus it might raise security concerns if they did.

Having a RTF off the shelf aerial FLIR solution available to anyone in areas of conflict could get our service men and women killed.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool