Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DNG from I1 - Hot Pixels in Aperture

Most digital imaging devices have hot pixels when viewing raw sensor data like you are with the DNG files. Even my 5D has some.
They are removed by the processing when you view JPGs and are easily removed in PS when you process the images.

I just read a post on RC Groups where someone complained about stuck pixels and DJI offered to replace the camera which implies a hardware issue. Has anyone else discussed this with DJI or been offered a new camera?

I just read a post on RC Groups where someone complained about stuck pixels and DJI offered to replace the camera which implies a hardware issue. Has anyone else discussed this with DJI or been offered a new camera?
Yes, they sent me a label and want me to send the entire unit and case in, not just the camera. Someone else said that they were told to send the entire unit in because they were going to replace the whole thing. I haven't sent mine in yet because I'm not sure I want more than the camera replaced. Not sure what I'm going to do.

same thing here, i really don't want to change everything, just the camera. but in my opinion i think everyone has bad pixels.

same thing here, i really don't want to change everything, just the camera. but in my opinion i think everyone has bad pixels.
I really don't think all of the cameras have this problem with the hot pixels. Actually, I know they don't since before mine came I really wanted to check out DNG files and found some posted at http://www.visual-aerials.com/dji-inspire-1.html and opened them in Lightroom and was really impressed with the quality of the images, especially the dynamic range. These files showed no sign of the pixel issue and that's why I was so disappointed when every one of the photos that I took the first time I flew mine had hundreds or even thousands of hot pixels on the DNG files. I know there are good copies of the Inspire 1 camera out there. We just unfortunately didn't get them.

Reactions: lrwskyfilms
Ok, i saw and downloaded that files too before buying mine, thing is i have found a single person that didn't have that problem. Some of them are just noticing now when they are seeing people zooming in all the way.

I just spent the evening updating my OS to Yosemite so that I could download the newest version of Lightroom since I have Adobe Creative Cloud. The first thing I did was import my Inspire 1 DNG files hoping that the problem would be remedied and it looks exactly the same as they did in Lightroom 4. I must have a faulty camera on my Inspire 1. There are literally thousands of "hot" pixels on these files.
Yikes! Is that a DJI-wide issue?

To acoll123 and other affected by this issue,

I've just been made aware of the DJI DNG Cleaner tool.

http://www.dji.com/product/inspire-1/download

it is currently only for Windows.

I ran it against one of acoll123's DNG that she sent me and confirm that it appears to fix the ugly spot issues we've been seeing. I tested the processed DNG in Aperture on Mac OS X and the spots are gone.

A few comments about this tool.

- Could DJI please correct the spelling of 'directory' in the app? I know English isn't their main language but worth bringing up being the professional market that this is aimed at.

- Could DJI please provide some documentation on this tool? Again, something you'd expect from a professional company.

- The tool itself runs very quick, and outputs processed DNGs in a separate Output directory. I compared the original and processed files and there is no change in file size. I suspect that very little has changed in the processed file and makes me think that the processing could be done on the Inspire 1's camera itself. This would be good as it would save people from having to run this tool.

I flew my I1 for the first time yesterday and just got around to downloading some stills. I took JPGs and DNGs and then imported them into Aperture. I noticed the DNG files have hot pixels while the JPGs do not (see attached samples).

I also opened the DNG file in Photoshop Elements and the DNG file did NOT have the hot pixels so I am going to assume this is an Aperture problem.

DNG files are not acceptable files for upload on this site so I can't share an original.

Just an FYI for Aperture users. I may need to move to Photoshop sooner than I hoped . . . I have sent feedback to Apple via Aperture but it might help get support for the I1's camera if more than one of us did that . . .

I can not open my inspire1 DNG files in Aperture! only in photoshop cc 2014. User macbook pro 2014 mod with retina display. The old inspire as I had I managed to open DNG but not DNG files from the new inspire min. On the old DNG files were also preview the image on the desktop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell